Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 09:41 AM

1,634 posts, read 6,718,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I am hoping to use it to launch into sustainable development NGOs .
What's this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 11:44 AM

34 posts, read 201,669 times
I am curious, but is proficiency in mathematics and abstract/theoretical thinking something that one is either born with or something one can be taught to become an expert in? I often wonder because it seems like many people either really struggle with these things or they just get it really quickly. Any thoughts?

Old 04-14-2010, 02:41 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
I'd either stick with my English degree, as it was interesting and fun to obtain and has been pertinent to everything I've done professionally since I graduated, across several disparate fields, or else do sociology just because it interests me.

Old 04-14-2010, 02:46 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,971,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Philosophy with a minor (or close to it) in Mathematics.
Do minors really even matter? I was thinking of taking a minor but realized it would be another 18 months of school. Might as well just go to grad school if you want to spend that much extra time.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:05 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,085,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA central coast View Post
Could you give some examples of areas of employment?
Investment banking, management, logistics and things of that nature.

But if you are not good at mathematics than this would not be a wise choice.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Do minors really even matter?
Why would it not matter? You mean does it matter to employers? Your minor should be selected ahead of time so you won't need to spend any additional time in school.

A double major is of course more ideal. A double major of Philosophy and Mathematics is doable in 4-years, but some combos would take 5-years.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfaok View Post
I am curious, but is proficiency in mathematics and abstract/theoretical thinking something that one is either born with or something one can be taught to become an expert in? I often wonder because it seems like many people either really struggle with these things or they just get it really quickly. Any thoughts?
I think its pretty obvious that there is a genetic component, but you can also teach someone to a decent level as well. Most jobs don't require genius level abilities though.

Usually the people that struggle with it are people that just had bad teachers. Our society is very accepting of the whole "I'm bad at math" line though, so I think many people never bother actually trying once they believe they are one of those people that is "bad at math".

Old 04-14-2010, 08:28 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,622,415 times
I think if you got the aptitude you should major in statistics. Not only can you get actuarial jobs but other financial firms like investment banks, management consultancies are looking for quants to help with research & development of models/forecasting.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:02 PM

I've always felt like I just can't "get" math. I was a low C algebra student, and geo. and trig. seemed to be way over my head. My last college math class was Math for the Humanities, I got a B, it was pretty easy.

Having the right teacher might be the key? It's hard to imagine I can ever be a strong math student. But in high school I was a horrible english student. I had excellent college instructors. I was amazed how much my skills improved just two yrs. removed from HS. I can't write like that now. I didn't use it, and I lost it.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Right exactly why a degree like Philosophy (with an emphasis in formal philosophy) is great choice.

It is the abstract reasoning and analysis that can't easily be automated. Applied math is for people that are not imaginative enough to do pure mathematics, it is the latter that actually develop the techniques/theories used by the former.
General Information

What do you think about this type of education?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities