Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2009, 09:47 PM

858 posts, read 1,497,466 times

Advertisements

Anyone here majoring in Geology, or already majored in Geology? If so, how do you like it? Are you currently employed as a Geologist? I have 2 years left and I will be graduating with a BS in Environmental Geology with a minor in GIS... The job outlook is supposed to only get better with the majority of Geologists looking to retire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 09:57 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,771,825 times
The minor in GIS will certainly open lots of doors for you.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540_804 View Post
The minor in GIS will certainly open lots of doors for you.
From what I understand GIS is an ever-expanding field. What do you think about Geography degrees with a concentration in GIS? My buddy is thinking about switching his major to that.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:27 AM

1,250 posts, read 4,771,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplorer View Post
From what I understand GIS is an ever-expanding field. What do you think about Geography degrees with a concentration in GIS? My buddy is thinking about switching his major to that.
Good choice.
Job outlook also depends a lot on if you go to graduate school.
But, all things equal, any thing to do with GIS is gonna be good for your career. If you were interested in gov't work that would help a lot and on the federal level you could probably get some really high paying jobs with experience with GIS.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:20 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,027,977 times
Besides the GIS focus, the environmental aspect will also have potential to help you too. My emphasis in geology [minor] was mineralogy, ore microscopy, mining, & ore extraction - anything with that, or into petroleum, IMHO would make yourself quite marketable. This knowledge was quite handy in my first job [ore mining, flotation, & smelter], but over time is now more of back-seat, as current positions are managerial - but my heart is still in geology; lol, don't even ask how many tons of rocks/minerals that I've picked up and squirreled away over the years, or driving down the interstate in a [borrowed ] minivan that looked like it was about to take off, due to the angle it was at because the tail end was kinda filled up w/ some treasures . Anyhow, good luck - remember to keep passion and enthusiasm with ya; the more hands on field work, also the more respect and knowledge you can acquire too.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
Besides the GIS focus, the environmental aspect will also have potential to help you too. My emphasis in geology [minor] was mineralogy, ore microscopy, mining, & ore extraction - anything with that, or into petroleum, IMHO would make yourself quite marketable. This knowledge was quite handy in my first job [ore mining, flotation, & smelter], but over time is now more of back-seat, as current positions are managerial - but my heart is still in geology; lol, don't even ask how many tons of rocks/minerals that I've picked up and squirreled away over the years, or driving down the interstate in a [borrowed ] minivan that looked like it was about to take off, due to the angle it was at because the tail end was kinda filled up w/ some treasures . Anyhow, good luck - remember to keep passion and enthusiasm with ya; the more hands on field work, also the more respect and knowledge you can acquire too.
Thank you for the insight! I am still kind of leaning towards petroleum Geology. We will see what happens!

Old 04-28-2010, 04:34 PM

19 posts, read 36,821 times
I love Geology, switched from computer science not knowing what I would do with the degree and never looked back. I founded a Geology Club, AAPG student chapter did a thesus and am now moving into a career in Oil and Gas. I'm also planning to do at least 1 masters and a PhD along the lines. Geology is and always has been a marketable field, if oil is bust, go with consulting, if consulting is bust go environmental etc.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:39 PM

8,307 posts, read 38,697,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplorer View Post
Anyone here majoring in Geology, or already majored in Geology? If so, how do you like it? Are you currently employed as a Geologist? I have 2 years left and I will be graduating with a BS in Environmental Geology with a minor in GIS... The job outlook is supposed to only get better with the majority of Geologists looking to retire.
If you look at the credentials of executives in the energy industry you will see a pretty heavy skew towards B.S. in geology or geoscience disciplines. If you want to be in the oil & gas wheelhouse you have to understand what's going on underground.

I'm biased, but I think petro geologists have a lot more options available than the other disciplines and have hotter demand upon graduation and beyond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities