Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2010, 02:18 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,704,988 times

Advertisements

I'm having a hard time deciding between 4 colleges. Two of them I do want to go to and the other two are backups. I *want* to go to either University of Arizona or University of Washington.

I really want to *move* to WA state, but overall it seems UA actually does what I want to do in life. They work heavenly with NASA and work with planetary geology. I want to be a planetary geologist and do exactly what they are doing with HiRISE at UA but first, it is to my understanding that I must become a standard geologist. Reviews seem conflicting, but I did like this video. The biggest turn down for UA is that its in a desert. Reviews don't seem to avoid putting emphasis on that either.

I will be leaving VA anyway so I'm just looking to make the best of it. I hear Washington State University is a "party school", I've lived a sheltered life and do not want to just work work work all the time. I know college is for work but I'm 20 and I'd still like to experience SOME of the things 20 year olds do in life (which I have not really had the opportunity to do yet). I've looked at the reviews and also WSU seems to also be favored by many because of their geology department, small class sizes, large dorms and great parking and just seems like a smaller school which is good.

My other two choices are University of Washington and University of Virginia. Does anyone know which is a good school based on what my interests are? I am in a community college now getting my associate of science. I have no idea how I will be grade wise. I've only just began college and I did not have a great time in grade school (uninterested teachers and peers just killed my moral) but I am motivated this time and doing well so far in college.

Like I said I'm in VA so I have not had a chance to check any of these schools out personally for myself except UVA. I'm hoping someone in a similar situation can help me!

Last edited by Anders15; 04-27-2010 at 02:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 09:14 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,471,869 times
I applied to the University of Arizona and got accepted. Yes, it's a good college. But you might want to avoid it for now at least. The state of Arizona is having a lot of budget cuts, and the colleges are affected. There's no guarantee they will even keep your major. Some majors are getting cut, but it sounds like you might be safe since your department works with NASA. Plus tuition is rising like crazy, and you would be paying out of state. But like I said, it's a good college with a nice campus and I like the surrounding area too. It's just unfortunate that they're having so many problems right now.

Did you get accepted to all of these colleges?

Old 04-28-2010, 04:16 PM

19 posts, read 36,867 times
Are you trying to get a Masters or a Bachelors? For Bachelors you can go essentially anywhere, but for planetary geology there isn't a whole lot out west AFAIK. I was looking at Brown and Temple for planetary geology before I decided to go the petroleum route. I would recommend avoiding state schools if at all possible, especially places like CA where all their funding is being lost because of budget cuts.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:45 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,704,988 times
Thanks everyone I have not applied yet I was trying to get some ideas first. Yes I will be getting my Bachelors first.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:39 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
I think all of the states are having budget problems and that's certainly affecting the state colleges. UVA is not usually a "back-up" school unless you have a 4.0 GPA and really good SAT's. If you want good dorms and small classes then you might have a hard time finding that at a State U. There are some good links here to help you find the right college. http://www.city-data.com/forum/colle...tes-books.html I suggest collegedata to help you compare and find other colleges with your desired major.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 05-01-2010, 05:46 PM

3,786 posts, read 5,329,611 times
You started off my talking about the U of Arizona and the U of Washington. Then you went on into greater detail about the U of A and Washington State U. Which is it?

I have been on the campuses of both U of A and U of W (pronounced 'U-Dub' in Seattle). Both are nice. I wouldn't discount Tucson as 'being in the desert'. There is plenty of vegetation, and four mountain ranges nearby.

I have a brother and sis-in-law who graduated from Washington State U (Wa-Zoo to the locals). Although it has a reputation as a party school (which U doesn't these days?), it is highly respected for its agriculture, engineering, and such.

You really won't go wrong taking any of the three choices. U of Virginia I cannot comment on since I have been east of the Mississippi River only once in my life.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:51 AM

1,181 posts, read 3,807,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders15 View Post
I'm having a hard time deciding between 4 colleges. Two of them I do want to go to and the other two are backups. I *want* to go to either University of Arizona or University of Washington.

I really want to *move* to WA state, but overall it seems UA actually does what I want to do in life. They work heavenly with NASA and work with planetary geology. I want to be a planetary geologist and do exactly what they are doing with HiRISE at UA but first, it is to my understanding that I must become a standard geologist. Reviews seem conflicting, but I did like
this video. The biggest turn down for UA is that its in a desert. Reviews don't seem to avoid putting emphasis on that either.

I will be leaving VA anyway so I'm just looking to make the best of it. I hear Washington State University is a "party school", I've lived a sheltered life and do not want to just work work work all the time. I know college is for work but I'm 20 and I'd still like to experience SOME of the things 20 year olds do in life (which I have not really had the opportunity to do yet). I've looked at the reviews and also WSU seems to also be favored by many because of their geology department, small class sizes, large dorms and great parking and just seems like a smaller school which is good.

My other two choices are University of Washington and University of Virginia. Does anyone know which is a good school based on what my interests are? I am in a community college now getting my associate of science. I have no idea how I will be grade wise. I've only just began college and I did not have a great time in grade school (uninterested teachers and peers just killed my moral) but I am motivated this time and doing well so far in college.

Like I said I'm in VA so I have not had a chance to check any of these schools out personally for myself except UVA. I'm hoping someone in a similar situation can help me!
Can't say much about the schools, but I did live in Tucson near the University for 5 years, and liked it. Many of my co-workers had went to U of A, and all had good things to say about the school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities