Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 08:36 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,421,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I am assuming that the medical doctor in the previous scenario is a licensed practitioner who attended a legitimate medical school. Like law school, there really is not a specific track required for acceptance into a program, although some students are pre-law and pre-med (that just means that they know for certain that they want to ultimately pursue a career in these fields and they take the appropriate courses in undergrad to prepare them).

Now, med school is no joke (once again, this is assuming that the MD went to a legitimate med school). It is a pretty rigorous program to go through and chances are that someone who went through med school would have the capability of handling law school since there is one key similarity between the two fields. Law students spend an enormous amount of time reading case files. They are then expected to draw conclusions from the evidence and play out the case in a mock trial (the mock trial is major component of ABA accreditation). That is why the LSAT focuses on reading comprehension and logic/reasoning skills and not actual knowledge of law.

Medical doctors are required to possess a similar skill; they are expected to look over a patient, diagnosis symptoms, and make rational, correct, judgements for treatments based on those symptoms, patients history, and knowledge of similar medical cases.

That is what would potentially make the 40 year old MD the better candidate over the 23 year old.

Motivation for change? That is based on the individual, but perhaps the 40 year old MD wants to combine his knowledge of medicine with knowledge of law and become a malpractice lawyer. Maybe he wants to move up into the higher positions of hospital management and wants a degree in law to help run, protect, and make decisions for the hospital. Maybe he is just sick of the blood and guts, insurance companies, whiny patients who think they know more the he does, etc.

It is not as uncommon as you might think. I would hazard a guess that at lest one MD enters law school each year.

I'm not saying it's uncommon. I'm just saying it's not exactly as cut-and-dried as you make it out to be.

Plus, a 40-year-old will have trouble finding a job when they graduate, depending on what they want to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 09:14 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
I'm not saying it's uncommon. I'm just saying it's not exactly as cut-and-dried as you make it out to be.

Plus, a 40-year-old will have trouble finding a job when they graduate, depending on what they want to do.
Well, I am not saying that it is cut and dry, either. I was responding to a poster's scenario that was between two people applying to Law School. I pointed out where, in that scenario, the OP was possibly wrong.

The whole thing was fictional (from my perspective), and was only about admissions; not the job search afterwards, not the reasons for wanting to apply.

If you have any other concerns with my post or my view on this scenario, PM me.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:52 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,421,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Well, I am not saying that it is cut and dry, either. I was responding to a poster's scenario that was between two people applying to Law School. I pointed out where, in that scenario, the OP was possibly wrong.

The whole thing was fictional (from my perspective), and was only about admissions; not the job search afterwards, not the reasons for wanting to apply.

If you have any other concerns with my post or my view on this scenario, PM me.

Oh no, it's no big deal. It all basically depends on your LSAT score and GPA anyway.

Old 05-02-2010, 04:59 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,390,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Non-ABA accredited school?

Why not just throw your money down on the craps table? You'd get a better return.

Would you go to a doctor that hadn't been to a real medical school but still managed to pass the exam? Or would you prefer a doctor from Harvard med?

Non-ABA schools are worthless.
Sad, but statistically true.

♠Craps - Strategy and Odds by The Wizard of Odds
Statistic Records - Online Law School at Abraham Lincoln University

Old 05-26-2010, 11:54 AM

548 posts, read 1,217,288 times
Almost nobody who can get into an ABA accredited school will attend a non-ABA accredited school. Therefore, the people who graduate from unaccredited law schools are essentially at the bottom of the barrel and it is not surprising that so few of them pass the bar (that's why it is there -- it's a weeding mechanism).

Old 03-07-2015, 08:56 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA central coast View Post
Reading the information on the CA State Bar website, it seems not all schools are created equal or the best and brightest are attending the best schools.
Overall, it seems the exam isn't exactly easy. But the ABA accredited school graduates had high 1st time pass rates. Then it started to drop off considerably with graduates from schools accredited in CA only and then unaccredited schools dropped off even more.
So is this the quality of the education or the quality of the student? I'm thinking student. Regardless, the gap between ABA schools and the rest was a bit shocking. I wouldn't have expected such a huge difference.
When you understand where the great bulk of the non-ABA law school graduates taking the bar are coming from (i.e. foreign law schools . . . very few state bars that I'm aware of let students graduating from non-ABA approved law schools in the United States take their exam), it's not all that shocking. And its not necessarily that these students are any less bright than students at ABA law schools. The fact is that for most from non-ABA law schools, the bar review is the first real introduction they've had to the U.S. legal system, whereas their ABA law school graduate competitors have had a 3 years' head start on them. That's tough to work around and perform well on the bar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities