Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2010, 01:19 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,713,650 times

Advertisements

If anyone here works as a paralegal, please share what you enjoy about your profession. Is it always true that the hours are long? And is ABA accreditation for the training program as crucial as some articles I've read seem to indicate? What is better an Associate Degree or a Bachelor's Degree? Would you consider it a good midlife career choice? And lastly, if a person already has extensive secretary experience, wouldn't it just be cheaper and easier to train for Legal Secretary? I'm considering the career because I love research and I think it is a chance to be part of a helping profession. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 02:45 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,371,259 times
I worked as a paralegal for a time, in between other jobs during a career transition.

-Yes, hours are long.
-Re: ABA, it depends on the firm.
-I was hired with a BA, but in a semi-related major (English)
-There were many midlife paralegals at the firm I worked at.
-Legal secretaries, at the firm I worked for, at least, were not as well-paid as paralegals, and were hourly rather than salaried. Paralegals at my firm could also, in some instances, be case handlers in administrative hearings. Legal secretaries could not.
-I found the work to be more administrative than research-oriented, but that could have been the nature of both my firm and the division/team I worked with. I would have preferred doing more research, less organization, rote interviewing, and typesetting. I was bored.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities