Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 06:13 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,698,737 times

Advertisements

I agree with the comments about a BS being useless as it is a general science degree. A masters is when you start learning interesting things and specialize in something. Again, I agree with the others about what avenue you pursue and what classes you take make up what you can do.

I don't quite understand how someone can have an MS in general Chemistry nor do I understand how someone with such a degree wouldn't be more entrepreneurial with their degree....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 06:28 PM

126 posts, read 335,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
I agree with the comments about a BS being useless as it is a general science degree. A masters is when you start learning interesting things and specialize in something. Again, I agree with the others about what avenue you pursue and what classes you take make up what you can do.

I don't quite understand how someone can have an MS in general Chemistry nor do I understand how someone with such a degree wouldn't be more entrepreneurial with their degree....
Masters is pretty useless in science. Think about it, it's just 1-2 years of additional advanced science classes. Science is a lot more complicated and broad than man-made fields like accounting. It's impossible to cover remotely everything in two years and there's little time for practical application. If you go to a top tier college, most of your upper-level science courses are already master-level. A master in science is generally done for people who majored in something else in college and want to transition into that field. Doesn't make you a master of that field at all. To really master a specialty or niche in science takes a decade after college (PhD + postdoc).

It's also difficult to be entrepreneurial in science, without the support of academia or big corporations. Science is very capital intensive. If you want funding from academia, you're going to have to prove yourself with a PhD. Again, it's not like accounting or computer science, where you can just hang a shingle and start getting clients.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:54 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james011 View Post
Masters is pretty useless in science. Think about it, it's just 1-2 years of additional advanced science classes. Science is a lot more complicated and broad than man-made fields like accounting. It's impossible to cover remotely everything in two years and there's little time for practical application. If you go to a top tier college, most of your upper-level science courses are already master-level. A master in science is generally done for people who majored in something else in college and want to transition into that field. Doesn't make you a master of that field at all. To really master a specialty or niche in science takes a decade after college (PhD + postdoc).
Hmm, I disagree on a couple of points, tho, maybe our experiences have simply differed. 1. What grad school offers, on the master's level ime, is far more than coursework. Yes, there is advanced coursework, but there's also research, writing, publishing and teaching. I managed those experiences with only an MS. 2. The advanced degree also garnered 10-15k more for a starting salary when I was offered my first job in industry. That might not be much for some, but it made a difference for me. 3. Eh, everything isn't covered with a PhD either. Maybe I'm wrong on this, but it's not likely every PhD leaving academia is going to follow through with the same niche once graduated.

Quote:
If you want funding from academia, you're going to have to prove yourself with a PhD. Again, it's not like accounting or computer science, where you can just hang a shingle and start getting clients.
Again, not in bio-tech ime. There are sucessful scientist to be found in industry with a range of degrees from BS to the doctorate.

Old 05-23-2010, 09:22 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,698,737 times
I see both James' and Braun's perspective. I think its safe to say most people understand that having a masters doesn't mean you are "the master" of your field, but a good understanding of it. I am simply stating, you put all that time and research into what exactly? For a piece of paper and never took advantage of the time in the money machine called school? Why would someone only follow the degree outline and not take classes related to your interest? As far as working and going to school for a science degree, if you have the want, do it. I've been doing 13 credits and working 46 hours a week, no problems here. Again, if you have the want, you can do it. I'm sorry, but people are way too lazy.

What you do with your time and what classes do matter as well. I want to go into nanotechnology and im lucky enough that the local university has a dozen or more classes on the subject. Enough, I believe, that I could apply for a research position at a university when im done with my BS and work on my masters.

But then the research position only pays $12.00 an hr. I could make more in a call center. I will never see an increased dime beyond the $12.00 only because he/she does not make money from the university, but doing research for corporations is where the money comes from. Grant writing is the key here. The university gets new science equipment, I get some money, and the corporation gets what they paid for.

Old 05-23-2010, 09:50 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
I see both James' and Braun's perspective. I think its safe to say most people understand that having a masters doesn't mean you are "the master" of your field, but a good understanding of it. I am simply stating, you put all that time and research into what exactly? For a piece of paper and never took advantage of the time in the money machine called school? Why would someone only follow the degree outline and not take classes related to your interest? As far as working and going to school for a science degree, if you have the want, do it. I've been doing 13 credits and working 46 hours a week, no problems here. Again, if you have the want, you can do it. I'm sorry, but people are way too lazy.
That's really hitting the nail on the head. People can certainly breeze through a Master's program, but I fail to see the point. I fail to see the point of breezing through anything. Imo, take what's available and bleed it dry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities