Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 02:33 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,916,146 times

Advertisements

is this the kind of major you can do while holding down a full time job? or should i choose something w/ a lighter workload.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 02:45 PM

151 posts, read 569,794 times
You can be a lab peon and earn $12 an hour with no benefits. A science degree is a very poor investment. Unless you plan on using it to get into a professional school med, pharm, dentistry, physical therapy it is not worth the effort or cost in tuition and lost income. See the thread what jobs pay 50k without a specific major.

Pick something that directly trains you for a reasonably paying career. Do accounting, economics, learn a vocation like plumbing or welding.

Old 05-20-2010, 04:02 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,007,212 times
I agree with the 1st person, but keep in mind that with the exception of a few degrees out there, most likely you'll need an advanced degree to be taken seriously for a reasonably well paying job.

But the value of a general science degree wheter it's for grad school or a job will be heavily determined by what classes you actually took.

Old 05-20-2010, 04:38 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,899,264 times
you go to grad school.

Old 05-20-2010, 05:48 PM

207 posts, read 963,526 times
You should really take a look at the "What jobs pay 50k and don't need a specific major?" thread. I believe that guy was talking about trying to find a decent paying position with a chemistry degree, and was having quite a hard time.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:03 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
I have an MS in chemistry and can't get a reasonable job in science with benefits. With just a bachelor's degree, forget it. Might as well get any half decent blue collar job. They will treat you better.

From what I gather there are a few hub areas in CA MA NJ and NC where scientists are in demand but most of the country you will be a lab serf with very poor prospects and even in the hubs you will likely need an MS for even a chance at decent jobs. Overall, I do not recommend it.

Last edited by MSchemist80; 05-20-2010 at 07:20 PM..

Old 05-20-2010, 07:27 PM

51 posts, read 154,784 times
My husband originally planned to go to med school--he got a Biology degree with a chemistry minor. Due to a bad marriage he was not able to go to med school, so for the first couple of years he worked as a van driver for a nursing home. Then he was able to find a job in a lab doing quality control for a rubber manufacturing company, and from there moved on to mine safety/gas chromatography. He has never, ever used his biology degree. It crossed his mind at one point but most of the biology job posting we've seen have had very specific educational requirements, though, such as "at least 3 credit hours in zoology, at least 6 credit hours in calculus" or whatever.

The chemistry minor has come in extremely useful and even though he does not have a major in chemistry, he has the knowledge to be able to work in a lab. A degree will only get you so far--if you understand the principles and process that you need to understand to do the job, that's the most important thing. I also think he has been fairly lucky because I know other people who have gotten science degrees and never been able to score a job past that "van driver at a nursing home" phase.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:22 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,900,551 times
Adding a CLS (medical technologist) certification program on top of the degree (or instead of - there are also BS in CLS programs) might be more helpful in finding a job.

CLS is clinical lab sciences - as in blood banking, urinalysis, microbiology, hematology, etc... The pay is not awesome but its respectable and probably better than what the average person with a BS in Bio or Chem could get.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:50 AM

151 posts, read 569,794 times
You might as well get a nursing degree BSN. Nurses are paid 50% higher and there are paths for advancement such as clinical research or working for pharma.

MT's (medical technologists aka clinical lab scientists) are basically better paid lab serfs. Their salaries are in the 50k's. However they are most vulnerable to hospital cuts or being replaced by cheaper MLT's techs. Check some other forums. Most do not recommend it.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:48 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times
It really depends on you, as with any other major. Working F/T while doing an undergrad is tough and it seems like it may be even tougher as a science major. Maybe that depends, tho. If you have a real aptitude for the sciences it might be a breeze for you. I don't mean to cast sunshine on the cloudy pity parade for disgruntled scientists, butI got a couple of science degrees and was able to walk out of school and walk into a promising career with good pay. But, it wasn't only because of the degree. It was due to extracurricular efforts while in school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities