Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 10:46 PM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,451,160 times

Advertisements

One thing you might consider is going to a community college and going for a certificate or AA degree. Are you already in a career you are seeking to be promoted in? Certificates of completion take anywhere from one semester to two years to finish. Community colleges are a lot more affordable as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 07:02 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,340,132 times
My children were 18 months and 4 when I went back to school - omg was it hard yes yes yes!! I wanted my children to think of me as a good mom ..not a flunky! So I worked my butt off! I went to school arranged my classes so that I had a break in the middle of the day to study and do homework. My kidos were in daycare and I paid for a full time spot. I also worked on campus to help pay for daycare / gas / etc.

Have you thought of a online school? A friend of mine just graduated from kaplan. I am actually thinking of going back.

You dream it you can do it!

Don't ever give up on your dreams!

Old 06-21-2007, 08:48 PM

137 posts, read 435,892 times
wallcrawler4,

Go to Brigham Young University in Provo Utah; there, you can easily attend college full time and support a family.

One of my brothers, a youngin' like you, has a wife and two kids, goes to school 12 credit hours a semester and works part time and still has money left over to pay the bills and go have fun with his wife and children!

Old 06-21-2007, 08:51 PM

137 posts, read 435,892 times
he pays 550.00 a month for a 3 bedroom apartment, and everything is included in the price ( advanced cable, heating, air,water, sewage included in the price) except electric!

Old 06-26-2007, 11:43 AM

28 posts, read 121,132 times
As a mom of five, it's been very difficult to attend school and manage everything else. There have been countless times that it would have been easier to drop out, if only for a little while (it never is just a little while ~ once you are out too many things get in the way of returning). I truly think you just have to jump into it and say to yourself that you will not quit no matter what! I have had to work two jobs, while going to school to make ends meet and I'm still not finished. It just has to be something you think is important. It has to be a decision YOU make, no one can do it for you. On the practical side, go to a community college, it's much cheaper and for the first two years or so, most degrees have the same pre-req's.

I know what you are going through, and if you can't go full time and be productive at home, go part time, take one class...just keep going!

Old 06-29-2007, 09:18 AM

667 posts, read 2,888,209 times
Like was stated, you need to find a community school that is adult friendly. Once you find it, you simply have to suck it up and work hard.

I work full time, am a member of the Army National Guard, am married and have two small boys and go to school full time at Purdue University in their school of engineering and technology. I also have a GPA of 3.0.

Almost anything is possible if you stop making excuses and start working your ass off. (btw, not aimed at anyone in particular, just at the general US population)

Old 06-29-2007, 09:05 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,086,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zig'sbird View Post
Like was stated, you need to find a community school that is adult friendly. Once you find it, you simply have to suck it up and work hard.

I work full time, am a member of the Army National Guard, am married and have two small boys and go to school full time at Purdue University in their school of engineering and technology. I also have a GPA of 3.0.

Almost anything is possible if you stop making excuses and start working your ass off. (btw, not aimed at anyone in particular, just at the general US population)
This sounds very much like my story. After leaving active duty I joined the National Guard, returned to work full-time, completed my degree online, while a single mother to two boys, one with severe special needs. I also graduated with High Honors. It can be done. I had no social life, very little money and we lived in a crappy, crappy neighborhood in a seriously decrepit walk-up apartment. But we endured. We made it. And life is better because of the struggle. It was an exhausting and humbling experience.

Much luck to the OP.

Sara

Old 06-29-2007, 09:18 PM

484 posts, read 1,944,393 times
I don't have kids yet, but I earned my BA while working full-time. I'm in my last year of nursing school, and I've worked at least 32 hours a week the entire time. It's extremely hard (I haven't had a social life in years), but it can be done. One of the most important factors in a parent's academic success is help with the kids. Has you husband helped so far?

One big help was the fact that my school, a community college, has a lot of night, weekend, and online classes. The nursing program has a section that meets Fridays and Saturdays, with 12-hour Sunday clinicals. When I was taking my nursing prereqs, I took classes that met 1 night a week. I took chemistry on Saturday mornings.

If loans and grants can't cover your school expenses, you'll probably have to get a job. I work for a delivery service, and a lot of my co-workers, especially the drivers, are students, parents, or both. I can study when it's slow. If your sons are in school, would it be possible for you to work while they're at school, then take classes 1 or 2nights a week? Coud you work 3 days a week and go to school for the other 2? If they're not in school, could you take classes at night or on weekends, when your husband is home? Could you barter babysitting with a fellow student?

Whatever happens, good luck! Don't give up!

Last edited by Hatless Wonder; 06-29-2007 at 09:22 PM.. Reason: more information

Old 07-06-2007, 01:20 PM

7 posts, read 27,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
he pays 550.00 a month for a 3 bedroom apartment, and everything is included in the price ( advanced cable, heating, air,water, sewage included in the price) except electric!
Thank you for the specifics! I can use this info. It's good to be able to compare the cost-of-living at different schools. However, I may have to try an online approach as I've exhausted my finances during this venture. Thank you again for your info.

Old 07-06-2007, 01:27 PM

7 posts, read 27,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zig'sbird View Post

Thanks for the encouragement! I definitely don't make excuses for failure. I want to succeed for many different reasons and I know it's my responsibility to succeed.
I actually have my Associate's degree from a Community College and I'm trying to finish off the Bachelor's degree.
I'm a veteran as well (34 yrs. old) from the Air Force. I hope that I can find the same kind of productive involvement as I had in the Air Force. I guess I should have re-enlisted.
Anyway, thanks for your reply!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities