U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 06:10 AM

59 posts, read 305,190 times

Advertisements

Your Pictures are just lovely I can't wait for the snow...I know...a silly newbie! I will be posting panic on here im sure come October!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I can see Pikes Peak from HWY 470 when traveling from Denver airport, about 60 miles distant....you can see the mountains and Pikes Peak from just about anywhere. Some building lots will carry a markup in price if the view is especially good.

I'm near Pine Creek HS, pix of Pikes Peak and the front range that I've posted were taken from my home, that will give you a good idea of what the views are like. See: http://www.city-data.com/forum/color...intensive.html

Only place that doesn't get a good view, IMO, is on the west side of the I-25 corridor, as you are up against the hills and when you look out you only see the hill behind you, but there are some views even from the west side of town, just depends on location location location. IMO, best views, newest homes, best highway and driving access is on the east side.

To over simplify a bit, visualize a valley. Down the middle at the lowest level runs I-25, Fountain Creek and the railroads. To the west is the Front Range and Pikes Peak, and to the east, a long gentle upslope for about 2-3 miles and most anything on that upslope has a view, although there a few sunken pockets of space that have no view of the mountains.

s/Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 09:12 AM

431 posts, read 2,499,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalifDreaming View Post
Thanks for the reminders. I am very paranoid and at night when we go to the car I look all around me and make noise....I know better then to make friends with bears or leave food out... But i can see why you posted this as I bet alot move here or visit here and just act a fool. I used to go camping alot and the rangers told me stories of how dumb people can be with leaving food out and some dummies leave food in their tents I guess made my post sound as if I was totally not aware of the mountains. Typical of internet message board
Isn't it something what people will do? We took a trip to Yellowstone. The bison were right by the road. Of coarse people were stopping and looking at them, then moving on. Would you believe some were getting out to take pictures? Even letting little kids out of the cars. Signs all over the place about people getting gored. Sometimes I wonder if they forgot to pack their brains!

Old 06-21-2007, 11:22 AM
mdz

622 posts, read 2,367,930 times
When I last at Yellowstone they had a video they were playing repeatedly in the visitor center of an idiot who was trying to take a picture of a bison. Bison became unhappy and head-rammed him about 20 feet into the air...

People need to read and heed the warnings. They're not stuffed animals.

Old 06-24-2007, 09:23 AM

188 posts, read 838,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubi View Post
yeah, I think it's zip 80906. Someone told me that I shouldn't live near S. Nevada Ave so I stopped looking at that area. Do you know why he would say that?
Probably right next to south Nevada wouldn't be so good. Last time I was in the area my son and I saw a couple of homeless-looking guys walking around and one was openly carrying and swinging - an ax! The security people at a grocery store there where they stopped had talked to him and I guess he was carrying it for his own protection. Still made me nervous. But I don't think there is much more crime in the residential areas around there than anywhere else, my daughter used to live in the area.

Old 06-24-2007, 09:38 AM

20,301 posts, read 37,784,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
Isn't it something what people will do? We took a trip to Yellowstone. The bison were right by the road. Of coarse people were stopping and looking at them, then moving on. Would you believe some were getting out to take pictures? Even letting little kids out of the cars. Signs all over the place about people getting gored. Sometimes I wonder if they forgot to pack their brains!
Yes, we were in Yellowstone in SEP 2005 and got the attached picture. We stayed in the car, with windows closed. As it is in our sub-div, we've seen rabbits, foxes, pronghorns and coyotes.

s/mike
Attached Thumbnails
Where to live for Mt. views?-yellowstone-184a.jpg  

Old 06-24-2007, 09:52 AM

80906 is our zip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubi View Post
What zip is that house located in? Out of curiousity

Old 06-25-2007, 05:39 AM

Three weeks ago, the day we arrived here we were in a motel on South Navada DONT LAUGH.....We really did not know the area and we only spent one night there but long story short our lap top case was taken! Inside was a laptop, 2 blue tooth devices and alot of other personal stuff....We reported it to the police but so far nothing. We did check out the local pawn shops but it so far has not turned up there. We call and act as if we are buying a laptop.....IT was our fault. We drove all night and left the case in the motel computer room, which is somthing we never do!

Its funny. A mile south / west of South Nevada is million dollar homes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janetjanetbobanet View Post
Probably right next to south Nevada wouldn't be so good. Last time I was in the area my son and I saw a couple of homeless-looking guys walking around and one was openly carrying and swinging - an ax! The security people at a grocery store there where they stopped had talked to him and I guess he was carrying it for his own protection. Still made me nervous. But I don't think there is much more crime in the residential areas around there than anywhere else, my daughter used to live in the area.

Old 06-25-2007, 01:40 PM

48 posts, read 291,581 times
Wow, thanks for the info on S. Nevada. Now I understand why he said that. No offense, but I'll probably steer away from that zip, since I'll be living alone. I don't want to be near a bad area at all.

Old 06-29-2007, 12:26 PM

20,301 posts, read 37,784,136 times
Default Wildlife can be dangerous

Like Nadine and MDZ said, wildlife can be harmful. Stay in your car or house if potentially dangerous critters are near.

Don't tempt fate. The following picture of a Moose is probably from Canada.

- $40,000 tricked out van
- $500 fancy digital camera
- $2 adult diaper
- Running for your life to avoid a ton of attitude headed your way.....priceless

Old 07-30-2007, 05:08 PM

15 posts, read 57,414 times
Mike - you are so knowledgable and hysterical! Love the pic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs