U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-25-2007, 05:50 AM
 
59 posts, read 305,210 times
Reputation: 28

Advertisements

I have been here for three weeks now and decided to do a positives and negatives of my first month here.

Anyone can also add to this list! Im sure i forgot alot of positives.

Positives

The view of the mountain is priceless and makes my day everyday.
The Pine trees!
The wild life. Having deer on your grass!
The people can be very friendly.
C/S has endless shopping! 2 malls (One is huge) and lots of fun shops. You can get anything here.
They have some awesome restaurants.
Almost every single night it cools way down in the summer.
I can live in a home for the same price as a 2 bedroom run down apartment in Calif.

Negatives

Moving away from my family. Hands down the really only negative that matters to me.
and
The summer is hotter then I expected. I hate the heat but have been told it dies down in August. Good!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-25-2007, 06:49 AM
 
Location: Avondale, AZ
1,207 posts, read 4,137,134 times
Reputation: 913
A few more >
Clean Air
Open spaces
Sante Fe Trail
Snowboarding on powder
Cows in our backyard

A few more mad:>
Impossible to keep car clean(T-storms in summer, snow in winter)
I-25 construction-temporary
Woodman-Powers intersection
No In & Out Burgers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2007, 08:29 AM
 
Location: Las Flores, Orange County, CA
26,346 posts, read 80,751,010 times
Reputation: 17410
OK, I'll bite.

Pros:
Nothing that Southern California is: traffic, social problems, graffiti, high cost of housing, and lack of regional psyche, spirit or soul. (Everyone in LA is from somewhere else so they don't identify with being "from LA". This is one reason why everyone leaves in the seventh inning at Dodger games.)
Sky Sox Stadium
Four Seasons
Not hot summers (compared to the San Fernando Valley); When it is hot here at least it is dry and breezy
Colorado Springs Airport (although DEN almost always has better flights at the expense of longer security lines)
Fresh Air
Lower property tax rate
Cheaper gas
Cooling afternoon thunderstorms
Diverse geography
Pikes Peak Library System
Frex (High speed internet ON THE BUS)
Several smaller school districts rather than one huge school district (LAUSD) - Gives people choices for where to live while still allowing them to live locally.
Seems like people here are a little more stable, not as likely to live on the edge. Could be due to the high percentage of people with military backgrounds??
Seems like people here are a little more wholesome especially the high school kids working McJobs.
Manitou Art Theater


Cons:
Our parents still live in LA
Sometimes icy roads in winter
The Gazette could be a little stronger on local news.
Road lines paint wears off too quickly, hard to see lane markings

The rest are so minor:
No Fry's Electronics
No AYSO, too many independent soccer leagues
No Trader Joes
No Cupids Hot Dogs
Fifty five MPH speed limit on the 225 in the Denver area, just seems too slow
Most gas station car washes just spray water on your car instead of having scrubbers or soft brushes or chamois to wipe off the grime.
Produce doesn't seem quite as fresh as in California (I guess this is to be expected)
Funky internet method to do your Colorado State Taxes
Some public pools (Wilson Ranch) have mandatory ten minute breaks every hour or so...unnecessary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2007, 09:06 AM
 
114 posts, read 548,283 times
Reputation: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalifDreaming View Post
The wild life. Having deer on your grass!
Believe me, that gets REALLY old REALLY fast when they start eating every plant, shrub or tree that you put in the ground!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2007, 12:15 PM
 
Location: Colorado Springs USA
14 posts, read 23,993 times
Reputation: 16
Pros:
Beautiful views
Close to outdoor activities
Clean air
Good restaurants
Acceptable weather
Friendly people
Low taxes
Family town

Cons:
Horrible traffic
Sprawl
Windy
Ineffective city coucil
Poor air service and transportation
Poor economy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2007, 01:22 PM
 
59 posts, read 305,210 times
Reputation: 28
mmmm IN and OUT!!

I try to make them homemade........

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrpilot View Post
A few more >
Clean Air
Open spaces
Sante Fe Trail
Snowboarding on powder
Cows in our backyard

A few more mad:>
Impossible to keep car clean(T-storms in summer, snow in winter)
I-25 construction-temporary
Woodman-Powers intersection
No In & Out Burgers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2007, 01:24 PM
 
59 posts, read 305,210 times
Reputation: 28
My husband is a network guy....

Is there anything close to Frys here????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
OK, I'll bite.

Pros:
Nothing that Southern California is: traffic, social problems, graffiti, high cost of housing, and lack of regional psyche, spirit or soul. (Everyone in LA is from somewhere else so they don't identify with being "from LA". This is one reason why everyone leaves in the seventh inning at Dodger games.)
Sky Sox Stadium
Four Seasons
Not hot summers (compared to the San Fernando Valley); When it is hot here at least it is dry and breezy
Colorado Springs Airport (although DEN almost always has better flights at the expense of longer security lines)
Fresh Air
Lower property tax rate
Cheaper gas
Cooling afternoon thunderstorms
Diverse geography
Pikes Peak Library System
Frex (High speed internet ON THE BUS)
Several smaller school districts rather than one huge school district (LAUSD) - Gives people choices for where to live while still allowing them to live locally.
Seems like people here are a little more stable, not as likely to live on the edge. Could be due to the high percentage of people with military backgrounds??
Seems like people here are a little more wholesome especially the high school kids working McJobs.
Manitou Art Theater


Cons:
Our parents still live in LA
Sometimes icy roads in winter
The Gazette could be a little stronger on local news.
Road lines paint wears off too quickly, hard to see lane markings

The rest are so minor:
No Fry's Electronics
No AYSO, too many independent soccer leagues
No Trader Joes
No Cupids Hot Dogs
Fifty five MPH speed limit on the 225 in the Denver area, just seems too slow
Most gas station car washes just spray water on your car instead of having scrubbers or soft brushes or chamois to wipe off the grime.
Produce doesn't seem quite as fresh as in California (I guess this is to be expected)
Funky internet method to do your Colorado State Taxes
Some public pools (Wilson Ranch) have mandatory ten minute breaks every hour or so...unnecessary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2007, 01:25 PM
 
59 posts, read 305,210 times
Reputation: 28
Ah...Im sorry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetjockey75 View Post
Believe me, that gets REALLY old REALLY fast when they start eating every plant, shrub or tree that you put in the ground!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2007, 02:00 PM
 
Location: Las Flores, Orange County, CA
26,346 posts, read 80,751,010 times
Reputation: 17410
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalifDreaming View Post
My husband is a network guy....

Is there anything close to Frys here????

I don't know. My local buds say no. Lately I just buy over the internet. Besides, Fry's is one of those places where you walk in expecting to spend $50 and you walk out having spent $200. Same for Home Depot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2007, 02:28 PM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
4,326 posts, read 4,350,986 times
Reputation: 15248
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalifDreaming View Post
mmmm IN and OUT!!

I try to make them homemade........

But you ought to try Fatburger; better than In and Out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top