U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2007, 03:17 PM

2 posts, read 6,103 times

Advertisements

My husband just got a job with a tech company there. We love the Pacific Northwest, but are definitely looking forward to the sunshine in CO! Any help regarding neighborhoods and school districts would be really helpful. We are looking for a more liberal, diverse type of neighborhood. After having read some of the other threads, it seems that those types of neighborhoods are few and far between, given so much of the evangelical movement there. We have strong core beliefs and are conservative in some areas, but we are also very accepting of others beliefs/views and do not believe in forcing our beliefs on others. I have been looking into Dist.12 and Dist.11. We are not Christian, and I am concerned about that possibly being a problem for our kids in school. I read on another post about teachers wearing religious pins, etc. in the public schools - is that the norm?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 03:25 PM

4,329 posts, read 4,354,278 times
I live in District 20, am Agnostic, and have not had much trouble with my Evangelical neighbors. They tend to associate only with their tribe. They will leave you alone.

My kids have had a few incidents with class mates who told them they would "burn in hell" because they were not a member of their cult, but that's just silly! They were just repeating the nonsense from their charismatic leader.

I think you'll be fine in any district.

Old 06-25-2007, 03:36 PM

48 posts, read 291,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22565 View Post
We are looking for a more liberal, diverse type of neighborhood.
I used to live in WA and I'm moving to COS next year. I recommend getting as close to Manitou Springs as possible for a more liberal neighborhood. It's kinda pricy, but I am definitely looking around there and the Rockrimmon areas. zips 80829 and 80919

Old 06-25-2007, 04:29 PM

4,329 posts, read 4,354,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubi View Post
I used to live in WA and I'm moving to COS next year. I recommend getting as close to Manitou Springs as possible for a more liberal neighborhood. It's kinda pricy, but I am definitely looking around there and the Rockrimmon areas. zips 80829 and 80919

If you are considering buying West of I-25, make sure you learn about expansive clay soils. It can cause a house foundation to break up.

A knowledgeable Realtor should know about this. Also, never buy without an Inspection.

Old 06-26-2007, 04:59 PM

26,346 posts, read 80,765,097 times
Quote:
My husband just got a job with a tech company there.
One important thing to consider: The further north you are in the Springs region, the closer you are to Denver should you ever have to look for work there. From the D20 or D38 school districts, the Denver Tech Center is about 30-40 minutes away.

Old 06-27-2007, 06:06 AM

59 posts, read 305,234 times
My husband got a job at a tech company as well and has been there for 4 weeks now and likes it but im concerned that once his contract ends that finding work will be impossible. I know he is great at getting jobs as he has 20 years experience and usually owns interviews and is high educated but still from what I hear the economy is not good here at the moment and with Intel closing its even going to be worse. There will be hundreds looking for work.

I guess i have to stay positive because we are here for some odd reason....

Now: MileHigh
Quote:
My husband just got a job with a tech company there. We love the Pacific Northwest, but are definitely looking forward to the sunshine in CO! Any help regarding neighborhoods and school districts would be really helpful. We are looking for a more liberal, diverse type of neighborhood. After having read some of the other threads, it seems that those types of neighborhoods are few and far between, given so much of the evangelical movement there. We have strong core beliefs and are conservative in some areas, but we are also very accepting of others beliefs/views and do not believe in forcing our beliefs on others. I have been looking into Dist.12 and Dist.11. We are not Christian, and I am concerned about that possibly being a problem for our kids in school. I read on another post about teachers wearing religious pins, etc. in the public schools - is that the norm?

Old 06-27-2007, 02:37 PM

48 posts, read 291,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Also, never buy without an Inspection.
oh, I wouldn't buy without having an inspection done. I'm looking at townhouses. would this clay issue apply to them? I would certainly think that if multiple people are living at a complex, that it would be addressed when built.

Old 06-27-2007, 03:33 PM

26,346 posts, read 80,765,097 times
Quote:
oh, I wouldn't buy without having an inspection done. I'm looking at townhouses. would this clay issue apply to them? I would certainly think that if multiple people are living at a complex, that it would be addressed when built.
When we bought our house near Monument we were told "There are no termites in Colorado".

I'd have a termite inspection and radon test too.

Old 06-27-2007, 03:37 PM

14 posts, read 23,997 times
Quote:
I was a home inspector for many years. What you'll find in most newer homes located in expansive soil areas are engineered "floating" wall systems. You'll also see a lot of cracked driveways and sidewalks in these areas. We live in Mountain Shadows and our soil is so bad that many of our trees have died because the roots don't have a chance to take hold. Also, wet clay in these areas can absorb many times it's own weight and cause a hydraulic effect on foundation walls.

In a townhome, your HOA may be responsible for repairing exterior damage due to shifting soils, but you may be responsible for any interior damage. Like others have said, an inspection is a necessity. Also, don't forget to test for Radon gas, as we have more concentrations that any state save Penn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or