Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2010, 10:18 PM

2 posts, read 13,562 times

Advertisements

I have heard some pretty mixed reviews for the living situation downtown. City Park interested me, but then I read that some people wouldn't go walking their dogs at night because of the area. I have heard that around Colorado College is pretty nice. I'd like to be near CC because of the people. I like to spend a lot of time away from the house, you know, walking downtown and stuff like that.
What about Cascade Park apartments? I haven't really heard any reviews about them.. they are downtown and seem descent.
I'm currently looking at some homes near the college but it's hard to come by one with 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms.
I'll be there soon... looking forward to it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 01:40 AM

1,570 posts, read 5,985,295 times
Are you looking to rent or buy?

Old 08-25-2010, 09:49 AM

11 posts, read 29,576 times
I'm also interested in hearing some opinions of downtown options (or within 3 miles). I was pretty disappointed with what I've found so far. In Memphis downtown is covered with apartments and condos to rent. They definitely overbuilt, but as a tenant it works out in my favor. It seems like downtown CS only has Boulder Crescent and Cascade Park for apartments, and City Walk plus 2 or 3 other condos for purchase.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:07 PM

196 posts, read 564,056 times
I would move to City Walk before the Cascade Park, but that's just me. The area is not that bad around City Walk. I was trying to rent in City Walk for a while, but ended up renting in Lowell neighborhood. I love it except for the train that goes by every hr it seems like..

Old 08-25-2010, 08:05 PM

2,140 posts, read 6,466,691 times
Yes, watch out for the train tracks. I've lived downtown, well, the "Hillside" neighborhood, for over 3 years. I quite like it. I would avoid the immediate W Bijou and the South Nevada/Mill St areas.

You'd do well to live in CC and downtown proper tho homeless hang out in Monument Creek Park and there is some crime in the 'bar' area, Rum Bay, etc.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:19 PM

2 posts, read 13,562 times
As of now I'm looking to rent. The Lowell neighborhood is probably number one on my list right now. There are two properties that are "for rent" on various websites. I put it in quotes because no one will respond when I e-mail them. Who knows.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:27 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
I'm sure you would like the neighborhood around Colorado College. I'm sure those homes are priced up there, but man, there are some good looking old homes there. If I had an inkling to move back to Colorado Springs (grew up there in the 50's-60's), that's where I would want to go to!

Old 08-27-2010, 07:49 AM

641 posts, read 2,276,072 times
Apartments are lil' harder to find downtown. The downtown area is old, so if the apartments weren't built, way back, they would be hard to put in later.

I would look into renting a small house. There are lots of lil' houses and cottages that are not in the middle of the dowtown area, but it would be within walking distance. Check out craigslists for CO Springs under the rental section and there are all kinds of great lil' places. Apartments suck.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:28 PM

727 posts, read 1,365,714 times
My wife and I just sold our house in VA and bought in the Old North End of COS (hopefully we'll successfully close in both locations and be in COS in early October). After virtually living on Realtor.com and the local real estate website,PPAR, consulting with our realtor and with a friend who lives in the North End (that's the area directly north of Colorado College, roughly bordered by Wood Avenue and Wahsatch to the east and west, Penrose Hospital to the North, and Colorado College to the South), we felt this was the best urban area in COS (also include the area directly adjacent to Monument Park in that same general location). By following Realtor.com and PPAR, we found that the entry level for the area was about 380-400K (that's for a move-in ready mid-century ranch (3000+ sq ft) or a restored bungalow (approx 2200 sq ft). Pricey for COS, but reasonable considering the location (walking distance of downtown and Colorado College in an area with much more pricey properties, e.g, million dollar+ historic homes) and very safe, with a committed (voluntary) HOA. Homes needing a full restoration are less expensive, but can be money pits if you don't know what you're doing. If you're interested, pay attention to the traffic and vibe of each individual street. Wood Avenue (where we're buying) and N. Tejon appear to be very desirable (wide streets, well maintained properties, and no traffic). Also check out the side streets. Uintah, Cascade, Fontanero and N Nevada are much busier and noisy. You can also check out the Patty Jewett neighborhood (adjacent to the North End to the east). Not sure about the desirability of this area, but much less expensive (maybe other posters can help here). It appears that in this area, it's a block by block situation, as is the case in many urban areas.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:26 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,985,295 times
Renting downtown would be one thing - I'm not sure I'd want to buy. The old North end would be ok to buy in. But downtown is fun - and noisy - it's just part of the deal. Yep, if you go out to walk the dog at night - you will need to keep your eyes open and take a cell phone. All that said, it can be a fun place to be.
My suggestion is that you visit the areas you are thinking about late at night. Hang out a bit - week nights and weekends - evenings, afternoons and late nights - see for yourself what's happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs