U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 04:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,337 times
Default CO Springs Overly Conservative?

My boyfriend and I are considering a move from Anchorage, AK to Colorado Springs in January. He's really into outdoor sports--hunting, hiking, camping--and I'm drawn to the job opportunities with the Department of Defense. We both want to live somewhere with mountains similar to AK, so Colorado Springs initially seemed like a good choice. I've read some posts lately though about how conservative the area is and am a little concerned. My boyfriend is ultra conservative, so it shouldn't be a problem for him, but I am more moderate and dislike politics in general. I want to make sure that wherever we move is welcoming, tolerant, and diverse. I've seen similar posts that call CO Springs bland and lacking culture. What have been your experiences living in the area? Is Denver a better choice? Really would prefer to live closer to the mountains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 06:56 PM

47 posts, read 79,122 times
we are moving to COS at the end of the month. My husband and I are both agnostic and politically moderate. There are 2 Unitarian Universalist Churches in COS with about 160 members each so there is definately a liberal/moderate/non-conservative element in COS. I felt really comfortable and at home when we were there back in June. It's not a cultural mecca by any means, but the folks are friendly and the proximity of the mountains make this a place I am really excited to call home! Drove through Denver and it was really kind of "bleh" and they have all the problems you would expect in a big city. COS scenery beats the crap out of Denver's for sure.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:39 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,431,516 times
It kind of depends if you want people to leave you alone and let you be, then Colorado Springs seems fine to me for that. If you are looking for a particular vibe and people to share certain viewpoints, it may not be for you. That's just my experience from visiting from a more conservative part of the country, Kansas. I find Colorado to be more laid back and focused on a healthy lifestyle.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:15 PM

9 posts, read 15,460 times
I'm like Denise above... I consider myself a deist rather than agnostic (if such things require a label), but I think they are very close. I'm not really into politics either; prefer not to discuss them at all (in my opinion it's the same thing as religion, but to each his own). I've only been here for three weeks, but I haven't been berated by bible-thumpers or anything of the sort, and I've been known to get into debates with my family over the subject. Although I really do try to avoid it. I don't try to push my beliefs on anyone else, I just fight back when someone tries to push theirs on me.

Ok, done rambling. But I really think this is a great place to live. From what I've seen and what I sense, the people really represent good values more than anything. And I can appreciate that. The mountains are breath-taking! You should definitely come!!

Old 09-10-2010, 10:43 AM

361 posts, read 1,020,421 times
If I were you, I wouldn't worry about the conservatives here. Most are innocuous. Besides, it's always more fun to have discussions with those whom hold a different point of view. You can actually learn something by hearing their version of reality.

I'm an agnostic progressive and I thoroughly enjoy debating with my conservative friends.

As for the religious folks, no need to worry. They mostly keep to themselves. As soon as they discover you are not a member of their cult, they will leave you alone.

Old 09-10-2010, 11:42 AM

17,111 posts, read 23,439,653 times
I've been here five years and have had nothing but good experiences. I'm an atheist yet have sung Christmas carols around the piano's of faithful neighbors. I'd say it's laid back enough that it's not a worry to anyone, though anyone can end up with an obnoxious neighbor of any sort who can overdo any topic. I think the media has us feeling more polarized than we really are; after all, we all want the same thing, like an ice cold been and a red hot lover. Okay, okay, at my age I want steaming cup of coffee and a good bran muffin.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:01 PM

7,459 posts, read 10,869,093 times
Mfbe wrote:
I think the media has us feeling more polarized than we really are;
Ain't it the truth!

All this polarization talk in the media and to a slightly lesser degree on city-data is mostly a bunch of crap in my own experience. Let's all write it off as a failed divide-and-conquer tactic by those who want to do just that. If more of us stop believing in this imaginary wedge it will fail...absolutely and completely. Good post Mike.

As for COS being overly conservative I have just one word....Nonsense!

I'm probably closer to the stero-typical liberal Boulderite than I am to being a stero-typical consevative, yet I live quite comfortably in the supposedly conseravative town of Grand Junction. I don't think I could hack living in Boulder being surrounded by too many people like myself. As another poster already mentioned, it's more fun interacting with people who think differently than I do.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 09-10-2010 at 12:16 PM..

Old 09-10-2010, 03:18 PM

132 posts, read 449,198 times
You might notice that we aren't burning any books here. We have our nutcases just like any other place. People have their views, and will be happy to tell you about them if you want. But they don't seem to go out of their way to shove them in your face. That works for me since I actually hate talking about politics and religion.

I had 4 foot high by 6 foot wide democratic political sign on our property one time, and we are surrounded by conservatives out here. It was no problem. No issues.

I guess if you don't go out of your way to bring up things that tick people off, then you can live anywhere and be just fine. It's all about being sensitive to others feelings. If you don't need to push you junk on others, why do so?

Old 09-11-2010, 11:03 PM

7 posts, read 11,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LfromAK View Post
My boyfriend and I are considering a move from Anchorage, AK to Colorado Springs in January. He's really into outdoor sports--hunting, hiking, camping--and I'm drawn to the job opportunities with the Department of Defense. We both want to live somewhere with mountains similar to AK, so Colorado Springs initially seemed like a good choice. I've read some posts lately though about how conservative the area is and am a little concerned. My boyfriend is ultra conservative, so it shouldn't be a problem for him, but I am more moderate and dislike politics in general. I want to make sure that wherever we move is welcoming, tolerant, and diverse. I've seen similar posts that call CO Springs bland and lacking culture. What have been your experiences living in the area? Is Denver a better choice? Really would prefer to live closer to the mountains.
I find there are two kinds of conservativism. Neo-Cons, and traditional. The former, being repressive religious cultism bent on legislating morality, and the latter being constitutional purists. From this standpoint, Colorado Springs has its share of cultists. But there are also those who support the constitution, and do not count themselves in the ranks of the neo-cons. There is also a showing of more liberal set.

In general however, Colorado Springs is filled with friendly folks, and supports a great outdoor environment, boasting over 300 days per year of mostly sunny days. Personally, I could not think of a better place to live, better folks to live among, and a better climate for my home.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:55 AM
gn3

131 posts, read 187,851 times
I'm an atheist and generally liberal, and I don't feel oppressed here or anything. Sure there are a lot of religious conservatives here, but the general culture here is that everyone gets along as long as there is some modicum of respect for others' beliefs.

Politically, the major problem is not the conservative tone per se, but the continuing efforts to de-fund government. This chips away at the sense of community and has created a pretty bleak outlook for the types of services provided in 99% of other cities, regardless of their political bent. For this reason, I don't think property in COS is a very good investment, particularly if the federal government spending that keeps COS alive dries up in any way.

Culturally, COS has less than you'd expect from a city of its size, a result, in part, of the sprawl and the general individualist attitude which means people are more likely to stay alone in their tract homes rather than go out among others. But don't get me wrong, there is lots of good food here, and a couple of decent, though smallish commercial districts (downtown, old colorado city).

I like it here, but strip away the mountains and climate that I love, and there's nothing special at all about this town, unfortunately. Still, those two things make it totally worthwhile, for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs