Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2010, 02:38 PM

37 posts, read 92,180 times

Advertisements

Hello, In a few weeks I am bringing a male puppy pitbull/shepard mix home and I need some good & honest local vet recommendations as well as any contact info, websites, addreses, phone numbers of the vet office you are suggesting please. Ideally, I am looking for a vet in the 80903-80904 area code of Colorado Springs. I also am in need of advice on pet health insurance since I know nothing about it. As well; I am seeking some local dog owners personal advice on the subject e.g. is it worth investing in?, with what local pet insurance plans have you had either a very plesant or a very poor experience with? Please lend me as much specific info as you can on one or both of these matters. Thank you very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 09:04 PM

14 posts, read 87,102 times
It might be a little south of you, but I like Cheyenne Mountain Animal Hospital on south 8th. I have taken my dog there for about four years, and they've been amazing.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:20 PM

56 posts, read 115,975 times
No clue on the vets yet since we haven't moved, but for pet insurance I have my herd (2 dogs 3 cats) insured through VPI Pet Insurance. It's like health insurance for people.... I seldom use my health insurance even though I pay for it every year, but when that emergency happens you are d*mn happy you have it.

My oldest cat didn't have insurance and I payed out $1300 for emergency surgery. I would have gotten 80% of that back after submitting the claim. (You have to pay up front then submit the receipts to the company for reimbursement). I have cancer coverage for my boxer, and all of their wellness visits and vaccinations are covered as well for reimbursement.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:26 PM

37 posts, read 92,180 times
Dear Displaced Alaskan,
With VPI Pet Insurance, I looked into this further and am in the process of obtaning a free quote estimate from them on the cost of pet insurance for my pup, my question i have for you is: which of the pet enrollment plans did you sign up for from VPI? the major medical plan/comprehensive coverage or the medical plan/economical coverage? if you would please lend me your view, which one from the two plan's do you suggest i apply for? I own just one pet, he's very healthy so far. Thank you very much for your time & answer!

Old 10-16-2010, 08:40 AM

2,140 posts, read 6,466,691 times
I've used Aspenwood Animal Clinic: Merrilee Laas DVM 1030 S 21st St, Colorado Springs, CO 80904 They are small and kinda odd, but good.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:02 PM

33 posts, read 135,391 times
It's not in the zip codes you mentioned, but I love Crossroads Animal Hospital. Dr. Shubin is great.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herecomesunshine View Post
Dear Displaced Alaskan,
With VPI Pet Insurance, I looked into this further and am in the process of obtaning a free quote estimate from them on the cost of pet insurance for my pup, my question i have for you is: which of the pet enrollment plans did you sign up for from VPI? the major medical plan/comprehensive coverage or the medical plan/economical coverage? if you would please lend me your view, which one from the two plan's do you suggest i apply for? I own just one pet, he's very healthy so far. Thank you very much for your time & answer!
I personally went with the major medical plan with CareGuard premier for my dogs, and the basic medical plan for the cats. My reasoning behind it: I have a boxer and the breed does tend to lean heavily toward cancer and other hereditary medical issues, and should anything happen I wanted more coverage for her. I also have a TM who I show in the dog ring and because he is a champion and can go far in the ring, I wanted the best coverage for those just in case events.

Besides, both dogs enjoy running in the Black Hills, something I plan to continue when I finalize my move to CO Springs in the, and enjoy leaving the house with me whenever they can. Because the cats don't go outdoors as often as the dogs, I opted for the basic coverage for them, but also have the CareGaurd premier for my oldest cat.

*Edit*
I should also mention both of my dogs are fantastically healthy and fed fabulous diets. My boxer sees the vet once a year for bloodwork (thyroid testing - another genetic disease that could happen). 2 of the 3 cats never see the vet, and the 3rd cat (my oldest) only sees the vet every 6 months for bloodwork to keep an eye on his irritable bowel disease and make sure that that doesn't flare up.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:10 AM

Oh, also, if you want to get together to work on socializing the puppy I'm game. My dogs love getting out and they both love getting to play with other dogs, and I also need to work on re-socializing my boxer so she gets used to playing with bigger dogs (she loves dogs.... as long as they are smaller than she is).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs