U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 08:52 PM

14 posts, read 74,886 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at buying a house with t-lock shingles, but I understand that since they're not being made anymore, some insurance companies balk at them.

Has anybody here had trouble insuring a house with t-lock shingles? The roof is in great shape otherwise.

I would love any recommendations for homeowner's insurance companies that are t-lock friendly!! Feel free to post here or PM me.

Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 08:06 AM

641 posts, read 1,954,356 times
You're right....T-lock shingles are pretty much obsolete, but there are tons of houses around here that have them so I don't think it would be too much of a headache to get homeowner's insurance.

I currently have T-lock shingles on my house and I use Traveler's homeowner's insurance (subsidiary of Geico) and I've never even had it come up.

I think the issue is that the insurance companies know that they're going to have to replace the obsolete shingles sooner or later, but around here, that's inevitable anyway. Especially with all the hail we get.

My boss has lived here for 25 yrs and he's had his roof replaced 5 times....for hail damage.

I'm also going to have my roof replaced because of hail damage and it wasn't a problem when the insurance adjuster inspected. He said, T-locks aren't made anymore, so we'll have to replace everything.

Roofers rarely do spot-repairs to rooves any more. If there's a hail claim, they rip everything off and replace the shingles with new. So I don't see why it would be an issue with T-lock shingles versus any other type.

Call around, compare rates.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:37 PM

Thank you! That is incredibly helpful. I'm going to get quotes from several different places, including American Family, Farmers, Travelers, and State Farm. I have car insurance through Geico, so I think going with them as an agent for my homeowner's insurance makes sense.

You've eased my mind a lot. Thank you!

Old 09-21-2010, 06:09 PM

227 posts, read 931,839 times
I would also recommend you get a quote from Liberty Mutual. We just recently switched to them after having been insured with USAA for over a decade.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:00 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,921,379 times
When I got my house insured, they never asked what type of shingle I had, just how old the roof was.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:49 AM

Same here. Wasn't an issue.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:44 PM

I called around a bit, and one company said that for the t-lock shingles, if my roof had to be replaced, they'd make me pay 5 percent of the home's value. Another company said they'd only give me the cash value of the roof--which probably wouldn't be much, since it's at least 15 years old--and I'd have to pay the rest. Craziness. But I did find a local company who went out to my house the day after I called and found everything satisfactory, and they didn't have any of the above ridiculousness. I'm going with them.

Thank you for the replies! I really appreciate it.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:13 AM

Good to hear it worked out for you and now we know a little more about it. Tks for sharing.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:15 AM

1,765 posts, read 1,977,700 times
I'm an agent. My company will write T-lock and 3-tab roofs but you will pay out the nose for them. Change to dimensional asphalt/hail resistant roofing as soon as feasible. You will save hundreds of dollars per year.

Old 10-02-2010, 03:11 PM

20 posts, read 61,279 times
Wow, didn't realize Co Springs received so much hail! We will be moving there soon and looking to buy. Are there particular areas that are hit harder?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs