U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 06:23 AM

59 posts, read 305,210 times

Advertisements

I have seen a few negative things said about the zip code of 80906. to NOT live there or just that no one recomends it here etc. Why? I live in 80906 behind the Broadmoor hotel and its woodsy and while I do not live in a million dollar home I am surrounded by them. My neighbors are fantastic so far and very friendly and down to earth but very classy. I have heard that the school is also fantastic! I see the teens here and they look to be a nice bunch.

I may be wrong but to me this seems like one of the best neighborhoods if not the best neighborhood to live in but surely not one to avoid. Broadmoor bluffs has nice fantastic homes for 350 thousand.....

I am new here and need to look at a map I guess because maybe 80906 may extend to some not so nice areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 06:35 AM

38 posts, read 178,539 times
80906 does run over into some not so nice areas,such as the areas around S.Nevada,where it is well known and documented of drugs,crime and prostitution are rampant.Broadmoor Bluffs and the more high end part of the neighborhood sadly is the best part of the zip code...

Old 07-02-2007, 06:55 AM

59 posts, read 305,210 times
ah..ok

Yes the S. Nevada area is not so nice and the bad part of living in this beautiful area of 80906 is that our Walmart and banks and shopping is closest in that area or maybe im just not finding my shopping places......?

I need to explore more.....

I know that the good thing about the North is that they have the coolest shopping and its so far for me to go to just get a few items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganbornandproud View Post
80906 does run over into some not so nice areas,such as the areas around S.Nevada,where it is well known and documented of drugs,crime and prostitution are rampant.Broadmoor Bluffs and the more high end part of the neighborhood sadly is the best part of the zip code...

Old 07-02-2007, 07:33 AM

26,346 posts, read 80,751,010 times
I think it is the zip code of Cheyenne Mountain school district which is one of the best if not the best in the Colorado Springs area. We looked hard at that area when we were looking to move the springs. We never found the right house for us (we wanted something a little less hilly as we have three little kids) and I (paranoid Charles) wanted something a little closer to Denver for job search purposes.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:25 AM

431 posts, read 2,500,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I think it is the zip code of Cheyenne Mountain school district which is one of the best if not the best in the Colorado Springs area. We looked hard at that area when we were looking to move the springs. We never found the right house for us (we wanted something a little less hilly as we have three little kids) and I (paranoid Charles) wanted something a little closer to Denver for job search purposes.
I believe you are right. Goes to show, you should not go by zip codes. Our zip covers the whole town and some of the county, that sure does not mean all places are as desirable as other. Looking at home, schools etc that way is a practice I have never understood.

Old 07-04-2007, 03:11 PM

48 posts, read 291,604 times
well, like I pointed out before, I don't want to be near S. Nevada. I'd love to be by the Broadmoor hotel! I know it's beautiful out that way, but I don't think I could afford to be in that particular area.

Old 07-04-2007, 03:38 PM

109 posts, read 352,490 times
Default 80906 rules

80906 is a huge front range area. We rented on Roanoke St. a few houses north of Cheyenne Rd. right across from Safeway(?) and moved to Beacon Hill Way in Skyway behind that beautiful convention type building. Both locations are 80906. We admittedly are "West Enders" so the prospect of living East of Nevada is inconceivable. Will you fall for the allure of the foothills?....time will tell.

We recently looked at homes in Broadmoor Bluffs but preferred the Skyway area, especially upper Skyway. Bear Creek Park and the horse trails rock!! Study crime data carefully because you can be just a few blocks from the "scum" and never know it.

Don't pass up a visit to Wimbergers Bakery on Bott Street off of 8th St.,....Ach du lieber(?)

Below is a list of the schools in the 80906 area. This info was pasted from City-Data Forum home page.

Public primary/middle schools in zip code 80906 not listed on the city page:

CHEYENNE MOUNTAIN JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 668; Location: 1200 WEST CHEYENNE ROAD, COLORADO SPRINGS, CO; Grades: 07 - 08)
GORMAN MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 560; Location: 2883 SOUTH CIRCLE DRIVE, COLORADO SPRINGS, CO; Grades: 06 - 08)
CHEYENNE MOUNTAIN CHARTER ACADEMY (Students: 472; Location: 1832 SOUTH WAHSATCH, COLORADO SPRINGS, CO; Grades: KG - 08)
OTERO ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 466; Location: 1650 CHARMWOOD DRIVE, COLORADO SPRINGS, CO; Grades: PK - 06)
PINON VALLEY ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 441; Location: 6205 FARTHING DRIVE, COLORADO SPRINGS, CO; Grades: PK - 06)
STRATTON MEADOWS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 412; Location: 610 BROOKSHIRE AVENUE, COLORADO SPRINGS, CO; Grades: PK - 05)
OAK CREEK ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 367; Location: 3333 OAK CREEK DRIVE WEST, COLORADO SPRINGS, CO; Grades: PK - 05)
STRATMOOR HILLS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 345; Location: 200 LOOMIS AVENUE, COLORADO SPRINGS, CO; Grades: PK - 06)
CHEYENNE MOUNTAIN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 330; Location: 5250 FARTHING DRIVE, COLORADO SPRINGS, CO; Grades: KG - 06)
GOLD CAMP ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 324; Location: 1805 PRESERVE DRIVE, COLORADO SPRINGS, CO; Grades: PK - 06)
BROADMOOR ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 312; Location: 440 W CHEYENNE MOUNTAIN BLVD, COLORADO SPRINGS, CO; Grades: KG - 06)
SKYWAY PARK ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 299; Location: 1100 MERCURY DRIVE, COLORADO SPRINGS, CO; Grades: KG - 06)
CANON ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 286; Location: 1201 WEST CHEYENNE ROAD, COLORADO SPRINGS, CO; Grades: KG - 06)
CHAMBERLIN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 232; Location: 2400 SLATER AVE, COLORADO SPRINGS, CO; Grades: PK - 05)
IVYWILD ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 182; Location: 1604 SOUTH CASCADE AVENUE, COLORADO SPRINGS, CO; Grades: KG - 08)

Old 07-04-2007, 04:03 PM

188 posts, read 838,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondax View Post
80906 is a huge front range area. We rented on Roanoke St. a few houses north of Cheyenne Rd. right across from Safeway(?) and moved to Beacon Hill Way in Skyway behind that beautiful convention type building. Both locations are 80906. We admittedly are "West Enders" so the prospect of living East of Nevada is inconceivable. Will you fall for the allure of the foothills?....time will tell.
My daughter lived for two years about six blocks west of the Safeway you mention and only once had any issues with the people from the S. Nevada area that are concerning. A couple of them were messing around her carport in the middle of the night, but her dog started barking and scared them off. So for the most part they don't bother the area, and the neighbors tend to be watchful, decent people. But problems can happen anywhere.

Old 07-04-2007, 10:48 PM

62 posts, read 398,815 times
If you look up the zip code on the National Sex Offender Public registry (I cannot list the website here, as it was previously taken out), you can see that there are 95 sex offenders (KNOWN/Registered) in zip 80906 (NOTincluding any who have not been turned in/arrested), etc.

This is quite high - actually from all the zips in Colorado Springs I put in, this WAS the worst. It ranged from 0-95 depending on the zip. So although I have not been there personally, but am researching the area to move to - I found this out (and would not buy a house there, as I have small children and would not want to take any chances for this reason).

Old 07-05-2007, 08:06 AM

109 posts, read 352,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keikekai View Post
If you look up the zip code on the National Sex Offender Public registry (I cannot list the website here, as it was previously taken out), you can see that there are 95 sex offenders (KNOWN/Registered) in zip 80906 (NOTincluding any who have not been turned in/arrested), etc.

This is quite high - actually from all the zips in Colorado Springs I put in, this WAS the worst. It ranged from 0-95 depending on the zip. So although I have not been there personally, but am researching the area to move to - I found this out (and would not buy a house there, as I have small children and would not want to take any chances for this reason).
Ultimately you have to judge this issue for yourself and your families well being. Unfortunately a large amount of low income housing is located in 80906 so it's affordable to these low lives. Our zip code has 8 sex offenders out of 3,000 people. We live in a rural and unpopulated area of Missouri so you never know until you check. Our area may actually be worse than 80906, percentage wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs