U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 04:41 PM

44 posts, read 294,726 times

Advertisements

We're in our mid 20's and are thinking of moving to Colorado Springs from Orlando. I was originally from Vancouver, BC and enjoy the views, trees, etc of a northern mountain area.
Is CS a good place for a young couple to lay some roots and buy a house?
ie,
good college?
good bars/night life?
similar age people?
adult ice hockey league? -- this is big
friendly people?
annual events/activities?

Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 04:46 PM

26,346 posts, read 80,751,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_FL View Post
We're in our mid 20's and are thinking of moving to Colorado Springs from Orlando. I was originally from Vancouver, BC and enjoy the views, trees, etc of a northern mountain area.
ie,
good college?
good bars/night life?
similar age people?
adult ice hockey league? -- this is big
friendly people?
annual events/activities?

Thank You
Yes to all of the above, possible exception of nightlife. My boss (in his late 40s) plays in an adult ice hockey league.
What line of work are you in? There a lots of jobs in some sectors (aerospace for one). Denver is less than an hour away for other jobs. Not sure how much cheaper housing is than Orlando but (like most places in the country) housing is in a buyers market.

Old 07-05-2007, 04:56 PM

I am currently in sales, but have gone to college for Golf Club Mgmt. and my wife is doing customer service.
Are there many golf courses in the area?
Does the college offer 2 and 4 year degrees in business?

Old 07-05-2007, 05:19 PM

Quote:
I am currently in sales, but have gone to college for Golf Club Mgmt. and my wife is doing customer service.
Are there many golf courses in the area?
Does the college offer 2 and 4 year degrees in business?
Use google maps to see golf clubs....not sure what "many" means...also, golfing can slow down to nothing during some of the winter, this past year was really bad.

"golf course" - Google Maps

Go to the Colorado College and University of Colorado at Colorado Springs websites.

Old 07-05-2007, 11:52 PM

673 posts, read 3,691,969 times
I would recommend Downtown Colorado Springs, the area just to the north of Colorado Springs (lots of college students from different states/coutries), Westside, Old Colorado City for younger couples although Old Colorado City has a larger demographic of hippies then the other neighborhoods and less college students.

Old Colorado City though and that general area though in my experience though has the friendliest people in Colorado Springs which can be a reserved city, its a very polite city overall though

Pretty much anything downtown would be nice, but alot of those are smaller apartment units but I am sure they have larger apartment units also.

Downtown Colorado Springs is great. Its not very commercial, it has alot of retail. Colorado Springs downtown scene is slightly older demographic then many cities but the demographic tends to be 20-somethings as the night progresses.

The nightlife and bars scene in Downtown Colorado is fairly good and the restaurant scene seem very vibrant also. Its a metro of only 600,000 so its a small metro area but for a small metro area they really do a very good job as far as having a vibrant downtown.

Overall, since Colorado Springs is mainly a low-density sprawled out city if your in your 20s ideally you would likely want to spend most of your time Downtown if you like the scene as Colorado Springs isnt really one of those cities that have quirky neighborhoods. Although Old Colorado City and Manitou are nice although they mainly interest an older demographic, although they are worth a day trip and have interesting people.

Colorado Springs overall is a very, very clean city especially downtown. Downtown is extremely clean, they really take great measures to ensure that its shown off to the tourists as Colorado Springs is considered a touristy town.

Overall, Colorado Springs is outdoorsy, affordable, very clean, sprawled out family-ville but with a very nice downtown and two quirky neighborhoods just west of downtown of the westside of town.

The weather is very middle of the road also. Summer-time usually 80s during the day, 50s at night. Winters 40s during the day and a bit chilly in the morning. Its a very sunny climate, very low humidity, not too much snow but an occasionally foot snowfall once a year it seems if a low-pressure system sits over Oklahoma long enough.

Enjoy the clean, clean city of Colorado Springs!

Old 07-06-2007, 03:02 AM

4 posts, read 17,229 times
Default Comparisons of Vancouver, Colorado, and some Florida too

Quote:
I currently live in Colorado, but in the past lived in the Pacific Northwest (Oregon, Washington); thus I can make some general comparisons about climate, terrain, vegetation, culture.

You mentioned trees. There are fewer trees in Colorado than BC. I miss the forests of the Pacific Northwest. CS and some areas to the west of CS may have more trees than average for Colorado.

In Colorado, I'd say about 99% of the land to the east of the Rocky Mountains was treeless prairie / plains when in its natural condition. If there was a clump of trees, it was likely to be along a river or creek. There were very, very few trees in the prairie / plains areas, before white and black pioneers arrived, and started planting crops and landscaping that reminded them of back east.

Much of Colorado looks brown or beige during most of the year. The snow brings an improvement in appearance, in my opinion. Colorado becomes green in the spring, but as the summer proceeds, there is less rain, and almost everything turns brown or beige, unless irrigated.

There are still vast rural areas in Colorado with very few trees. In cities and suburbs, people have planted some trees and shrubs, but not as many as you would be accustomed to in BC.

Keeping a tree alive requires more effort here than in BC. Irrigation water is typically needed. Some species of trees can survive here without watering, if they are just the right kind of species, and happen to be growing in just the right place, and are lucky enough to get through their early years in times of no drought. An older tree with deeper roots has a better chance of surviving drought years, or so I've heard; I'm not an expert.

Meanwhile, water utility bills are a significant expense. Some municipalities have a more reliable source of abundant water than others.

A tip for anyone buying property in Colorado (or Wyoming): Check out the water supply before buying. Is there a well? If the property gets water from a city water utility, find out how the pricing works, and how often they have imposed rationing or usage restrictions. When there are restrictions, they are likely to be either (1) rules limiting how often you can sprinkle your lawn and garden, and for how many minutes; and/or (2) higher prices per gallon if your monthly usage goes over a specified number of gallons.

There is growing interest in landscaping that requires less water.

In the mountains, there are some forests, but not quite as many as I had hoped.

CS is located at the boundary area between the flat plains to the east, and the Rocky Mountains to the west. Some suburbs of CS are in the foothills, and thus more likely to have trees.

Yes, I miss the trees, and I seem to be obsessing over trees.

I think Colorado is much prettier than Florida. The mountains are truly magnificent. While vacationing in Florida, I learned that Florida originally had vast forests of a type of giant tree (cypress?), distant cousins to the giant sequoias or redwoods of California. Unfortunately, those vast forests were decimated by shortsighted loggers. I don't think any are left in Florida.

Culture: There are so many people in Colorado who are transplants, that the culture is a mix. Lots of people from the Midwest, Texas, southern California, Mexico.

If you learned any Spanish in Florida, I'm guessing it may be helpful here, even though different dialects of Spanish are used. There are very many hispanics. Parts of Colorado used to belong to Spain / Mexico.

I think that, on average, there is more materialism here than in the Pacific Northwest, but I thought that of Florida too. Just a generalization; there are lots of exceptions.

Compared to the Pacific Northwest, there also seems to be more emphasis on superficial appearances -- having a perfect body and perfect hair, and perfect teeth, etc., if you are female. Just watch some of the women examining every milligram of fat, real or imagined, on a restaurant dish. Guys don't seem to get that kind of pressure. Again, Florida seemed similar in that way, especially Miami.

From a feminist point of view, coming to Colorado felt like going back in time about 25 years, to a time when womens movements were just begining to make some progress. My opinion of Florida wasn't much better.

I've been to Colorado Springs several times, but I don't live there, so I will leave it to other forum participants to reply with more specifics about CS.

Last edited by river_otter; 07-06-2007 at 03:08 AM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 07-06-2007, 05:41 AM

59 posts, read 305,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by river_otter View Post
From a feminist point of view, coming to Colorado felt like going back in time about 25 years, to a time when womens movements were just begining to make some progress. My opinion of Florida wasn't much better.

I have not seen that here in CS and im from San Francisco! The women here are strong from what I have seen so far with a "Do what you want" attitude....Maybe its where I live?

Old 07-06-2007, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalifDreaming View Post
I have not seen that here in CS and im from San Francisco! The women here are strong from what I have seen so far with a "Do what you want" attitude....Maybe its where I live?
Concur. Maybe it's because a lot of the women I meet are at work and have been in the military. They don't fiddle with all that political garbage. Bottom line, get the job done, nobody is stopping you (or they'll get the butts sued off). Equality, and not preferential treatment, is a big deal and it is taken very seriously. Nobody seems to mind.

Old 07-08-2007, 01:58 PM

Any recommendations for apartments near downtown?

I came across Cascade Park and Boulder Cresent online. Any opinions of these 2 or any others within walking distance of downtown?

What is the best website to search for downtown rentals?

Old 07-09-2007, 02:07 AM

4 posts, read 17,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalifDreaming View Post
Or, maybe its where I live. I live in Denver suburbs.

One way that it reminds me of the late 70's and early 80's stages of feminism, is the seemingly widespread belief that women should act like men if they want to be successful in careers or life in general. In the corporate and small-business environment here, there seems an unspoken belief that the traditionally male way of doing things is superior. And female employees should all change to fit that enviroment. That we should be grateful for being allowed to work in *their* world. But I may be overgeneralizing from just a few of my own experiences, and from the people I've met.

When I first moved to Colorado in 2000, I looked at Amazon.com's list of bestsellers in the Denver area. One of the top 5 was a book on how to manipulate a man into marrying you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs