Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 04:53 PM

7,120 posts, read 9,185,840 times

Advertisements

The Gazette is a very quick read. Ignore the broken-record righty "opinion" page, the copied articles from the previous days Denver post, the religious whacko suck up articles and your're left with the just daily shootings, knifings, break ins and weather.

Can read it in 5 minutes, max
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 09:31 AM

727 posts, read 1,359,195 times
The last two weeks of the Independent have been excellent issues, particularly for newcomers. Two weeks ago, it provided the readers' poll on the Best of Colorado Springs restaurants in every category you could imagine (first, second, and third choices for each category). The past week it was the Best of everything else (e.g., vets, doctors, dentists, big box stores, optometrists, etc.). Again, invaluable for newcomers, in particular. Their voting guide (also in the issue two weeks ago) had an excellent rundown on the candidates and issues; a much appreciated counterpoint to the Gazette's endorsements. Pick up the Indpendent free anywhere around town (newspaper boxes, restaurants, etc.). It's well written, provides an alternative to the Gazette's political stances, and it's free (it's similar to the City Paper and Reader, available in various cities around the country).

Old 10-25-2010, 01:38 PM

47 posts, read 145,141 times
I picked up my copy at Whole Foods yesterday. I really enjoyed reading "the best of" and getting more of a feel of what this amazing city has to offer!

Old 10-25-2010, 03:00 PM

553 posts, read 1,628,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deniselk View Post
are there any other newspaper options in the Springs? I read the gazette and it seemed like it didn't even try to hide it's right leaning bias. It was like Fox News in print. Is this just a very conservative paper, are there other options for the more, er, moderate folks?
Sure, the Gazette has a right-leaning bias. So does El Paso County.

The Indy is fun, but it hardly amounts to a newspaper. You need to publish more than weekly if you're going to present people.....you know.....the news. But, if the Gazette is too far right for your tastes, the Indy can be a refreshing complement to the Gazette.

The Denver Post has yet to discover that the southern border of Colorado doesn't run through Castle Rock. Want to know what's going on around the Springs? You're not gonna find it in the Post.

So, long story short, you're pretty much stuck with the Gazette.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:28 PM

47 posts, read 145,141 times
I agree that the Denver post doesn't have much to offer us down here. I will take what I can from the Gazette and supplement with the Indy. Thank you all for your suggestions.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:52 PM

598 posts, read 1,539,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo98 View Post
the gazette is a joke. very poor writing, very biased reporting of our news. i go online to read the articles mostly to see the reactions and comments on the articles. usually a lot of hate and intolerance on the comments that gets me angry.
Tolerance is a 2-way street. I find that some of the most intolerant people out there are the ones that complain about it the most and continually point their finger at everyone else.

Old 10-27-2010, 01:39 AM
gn3

151 posts, read 414,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
The Gazette is a very quick read. Ignore the broken-record righty "opinion" page, the copied articles from the previous days Denver post, the religious whacko suck up articles and your're left with the just daily shootings, knifings, break ins and weather.

Can read it in 5 minutes, max
This is approximately my take on the Gazette. I couldn't imagine paying to receive it. I read the website to pick up on local news, but I can't bring myself to break out the checkbook (or whatever) for it. I do get the Denver Post, which, despite the obvious Denver-centric (partially forgivable, partially not) perspective, does do a pretty good job of covering statewide issues and sports in the obvious wire stories, at least.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 10-27-2010 at 12:13 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 10-27-2010, 10:12 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,814,193 times
People still get the newspaper delivered? Such a waste of paper and money. I ♥ the interwebz.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:01 AM

24 posts, read 66,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalahartma View Post
Actually, the Gazette, at least the editorials, has been less conservative of late.
I was hanging out with Tea Partyers (the conservative of the conservative) during the Election and they were all complaining about the Gazettes left leaning in their political endorsements and articles at the time, and how they also were making everything Doug Bruce touched seem like it would be a Poison to the states economy.

My household use to subscribe to the Gazette back when we could get it for like $50 a year back in 2009, now you'll be lucky to find it below $130 a year, not worth the few pages worth of reading. I can use the local news station web sites for my news now. I'll look thru the Gazette, if it's left behind by someone during my lunch, for that once and while article that stands out, like a building development around town or an article that envloved someone I knew.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:29 AM

6,800 posts, read 10,422,221 times
Are you kidding? You can get the Gazette now for two days/week for only $1 for the entire year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs