U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 06:58 AM

71 posts, read 386,233 times

Advertisements

After lots of researching on different areas in Colorado, I think I have chosen to move to Colorado Springs. Can anyone help me verify this decision? I will be moving to Colorado short term in the summer of 2008, hopefully at least for 6 months, to do rotations for pharmacy school. After looking hard at Boulder, Fort Collins, and Colorado Springs, I think I will like the Springs the best. I am looking for an area with good hospitals, lots of pharmacies, beautiful views, clean air, dog friendly (and pit bull friendly), hiking trails, friendly people, nice shopping areas, and a nice downtown area that is good for strolling and lots of local restaurants that you might not find elsewhere. Boulder seemed too expensive and maybe a bit too much of a college town. Also it seems like a lot of people don't like Boulder because they say the people have a 'I'm better than you because I do more outdoor activities than you' vibe. Also I heard lots of complaints about hippocritical SUV-driving hippies, and I really would rather not feel like I am somewhere where people have grudges against each other because of stupid stuff like that. My next thoughts were Fort Collins, but I hear (and saw in pictures) that it just isn't quite as scenic as Colorado Springs. Since I will only be there short term, I would like to get the most out of my time there as far as beautiful views and outdoor recreation before I have to come back to the boring and plain midwest. I also want a place with lots of dog parks and CO Springs seems to be good for this.

As far as areas to live in the Springs, I have really been looking at the apartments on the West/Northwest side (like the Oasis Apartments or CamelBack Pointe Apts.), not too far from Garden of the Gods. This seems to be a very beautiful area. Any thoughts on it? Any opinions from experienced people would be greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 07:08 AM

26,346 posts, read 80,765,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CObound View Post
I am looking for an area dog friendly (and pit bull friendly),
I would bet that the more family (kids) oriented a neighborhood is, the less pit bull friendly it is.

There was a thread on something related to this:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/pets/...entennial.html

Old 07-06-2007, 04:43 PM

673 posts, read 3,692,413 times
I dont know anything about pit-bull friendly apartment complexes about walking your pit-bull downtown I dont think people would be happy with that at all though. But thats my opinion, you can call the city and see what breeds of dogs you can take to what parks or if you can walk them downtown?

Anyway, Colorado Springs is very affordable by Colorado standards it has the 3nd lowest housing values on the front range and lowest housing values of any metro county that backs up against the mountains. So its affordable especially considering the amazing views you get.

Colorado Springs is a very, very clean city overall. Especially Downtown its a touristy-city and its of high priority to keep the city very clean especially downtown. Especially since downtown has recieved a huge face-lift over the last decade. It really is a vibrant downtown for such a small metropolitan area around 600,000 people. Also the restaurant scene, I dont go out to eat really but Tejon Street in downtown Colorado is full of blocks of brand-new restaurants and also restaurants that Colorado Springs locals have enjoyed for decades.

I am not a bar person, but the bars on Tejon street from the outside are very, very visually appealing and unique compared to the ones I have seen in other cities. It seems like alot of creativity is put into alot of the stuff the open in downtown Colorado Springs, I am thinking it might be because Denver is just an hour up the road and they have to compete or something who knows thats just my opinion.

Overall, people in Colorado Springs are very polite, they have alot of people moving into Colorado Springs but the people are fairly reserved by Colorado standards and are not as outgoing as up in Denver.

Colorado Springs overall clean, great parks, very affordable, great scenery, great moderate weather.

Last edited by MattDen; 07-06-2007 at 05:14 PM..

Old 07-07-2007, 10:07 PM

1 posts, read 4,825 times
Overall, Colorado Springs is a great place to live. I've lived in both Fort Collins and Colorado Springs, and I prefer COS. However, don't get me wrong... I liked the downtown area of Fort Collins. The CSU campus was an excellent place to walk and enjoy. Depending on where you want to live for your stint here, COS has similar areas for enjoyment.

There are two new hospitals going up on the east side of town (one in Briargate that's been open for several months, and the other should be complete in '08, I believe). In the north-mid part of COS, the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs has an excellent nursing program, so I'm sure there will be resources available to you if you must research anything for your pharmaceutical studies. If you're looking at the Oasis Apartments, they're very nice. However, if the two previous hospitals interest you when you are doing your pharmacy rotation, you'd be on the opposite side of town - consider the Powers corridor. Although there are less apartment complexs on the east side of COS, Powers is quickly becoming a blvd where one can find nearly anything one wants.

I hope some of this helps.

Old 07-08-2007, 11:19 AM

20,308 posts, read 37,797,930 times
Default Hiking, Walking, Hosptials and Pharmacies in COL SPGS

TONS of places here to hike, not just west side/Garden of the Gods, which is lovely. Recently we rode horses there. INFO:

City govt site, with maps of trails: City of Colorado Springs - Topic Pages

Major trails in area & region: LocalHikes - Hikes and trails near Colorado Springs, Colorado

First person narrative on local hiking, with pix: HIKES IN COLORADO SPRINGS - Steve's List of Colorado Springs Hikes With Directions, Pictures And Tips

Lots of hiking here, from flat land to nearly straight up. Suggest not limit yourself to west side. Old railroad trails run north-south parallel to I-25 and run for many miles, as well as east of town along Woodmen Rd and Hwy 24. Some nice hikes in/near Briargate, near newly-opened Memorial Hospital North (at Briargate Pkwy and Union Blvd, one block off Powers Blvd), and the soon to open new Penrose St Francis Hospital (Powers Blvd and Woodmen Rd).

As noted by Ever39, the Powers Corridor is the site of all that's new and lovely and reasonably affordable, including some apartments and TH's and lots of SFH rentals too. Zip code for this is mostly 80920.

Briargate is 20-25 minute drive to UCCS, a 2-10 minute drive to either new hospital. One set of apartments is walkable to new Memorial Hosp north and are next to new King Soopers about to open. A midway point, like Austin Bluffs Pkwy and Dublin, is a drive of 10-15 minutes to Memorial North or UCCS, and 5 minutes to new Penrose St Francis site. There are some really nice looking apartments here, with basic shopping a short walk on the other side of Austin Bluffs, a mile to a new Super Walmart on Woodmen near Powers.

The original Memorial Hospital (city owned hospitals) will remain open, just east of downtown. The original Penrose St Francis will remain open just north of downtown (on Nevada Ave, fairly close to Colorado College).

Lots of pharmacies, Walgreens is the big dog, just about everywhere. Lots of pharms in major supermarkets (Albertson's, King Sooper's, Wal-Mart, Super-Target). All of these are in Briargate / Powers Corridor, and all over. A brand new Super-Target (Powers & Union, opposite a new Lowe's) and a brand new King Soopers (Briargate Pkwy & Union, across from new Memorial Hosp North), both open within 30 days. Give Briargate a view, you'll love it.

I think COL SPGS is a good choice, we made the same choice a few years when we moved here.

Old 07-08-2007, 03:52 PM

Hey Mike, thanks for the info! I've been reading all the posts in your other thread about Colorado Springs and have found some great info! I'm wondering, is the downtown area of Colorado Springs happening at all? I'd really like to be in an area where there are younger people and bars and such as opposed to in a development of families with kids. I don't necessarily need to be especially close to any of the hospitals because I will only be at each place for about 4 to 6 weeks so I know I will have to have some commuting in there. I am really glad to hear that Walgreens is the big dog retail pharmacy out there because that is who I am already employed with and will probably stick with them once I get my pharmacist license.

What I really want is an area of town that is not far from hiking trails (thanks for those links by the way, I was surprised to see the type of hiking found in Palmer Park in the middle of the city!). I would love to have a dog park nearby as well since I have two dogs. I noticed Bear Creek has a great big dog park, how is that area of town? I also saw that Rampart Park has a dog park, know anything about that? I realize that I seem to have high expectations and I probably will not find an area that has everything I am looking for, but hopefully I can get close. How is the area immediately around UCCS? I may be looking more into that area because my boyfriend may look into getting his MBA there. Anyways thanks again for all the great info! If you have any other tips, I'd love to hear them!

Oh, one other thing...how about the area just west of downtown, bordered by I-25, W Uintah, N 21st, and W Cimarron St? This seems like a good proximity to downtown and I noticed there are several Walgreens in this area and it is also near Bear Creek Regional Park. Can you tell me anything about this area?? Thanks!

Last edited by CObound; 07-08-2007 at 04:04 PM.. Reason: adding something

Old 07-08-2007, 07:20 PM

Does anyone know of some nice apartments near Palmer Park? I found out they have a nice dog park there and I would love to look into living somewhere within about 5 minutes of the area. Is this possible?

Old 07-09-2007, 06:21 PM

20,308 posts, read 37,797,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CObound View Post
Hey Mike, thanks for the info! I'm wondering, is the downtown area of Colorado Springs happening at all? I'd really like to be in an area where there are younger people and bars and such as opposed to in a development of families with kids. I don't necessarily need to be especially close to any of the hospitals because I will only be at each place for about 4 to 6 weeks so I know I will have to have some commuting in there. I am really glad to hear that Walgreens is the big dog retail pharmacy out there because that is who I am already employed with and will probably stick with them once I get my pharmacist license.

What I really want is an area of town that is not far from hiking trails (thanks for those links by the way, I was surprised to see the type of hiking found in Palmer Park in the middle of the city!). I would love to have a dog park nearby as well since I have two dogs. I noticed Bear Creek has a great big dog park, how is that area of town? I also saw that Rampart Park has a dog park, know anything about that? I realize that I seem to have high expectations and I probably will not find an area that has everything I am looking for, but hopefully I can get close. How is the area immediately around UCCS? I may be looking more into that area because my boyfriend may look into getting his MBA there. Anyways thanks again for all the great info! If you have any other tips, I'd love to hear them!

Oh, one other thing...how about the area just west of downtown, bordered by I-25, W Uintah, N 21st, and W Cimarron St? This seems like a good proximity to downtown and I noticed there are several Walgreens in this area and it is also near Bear Creek Regional Park. Can you tell me anything about this area?? Thanks!

I can help a little with some of these. Rampart Park is up my way, near the two new hospitals, great area IMO, but no nightlife up here. Palmer Park is near UCCS and you may find some rentals in the University Park area, which is north of Austin Bluffs. Bear Creek Park is one I'm not familiar with, but it is in an area near the industrial part of town off I-25, near the power plant, etc. Bear Creek Park seems to be rather large. Hopefully someone familiar with that area can attest to it, but it does seem a bit tougher of a commute since you have to deal with one of the few roads that cross I-25 to get to UCCS. I think you're better off to look at places near UCCS, there are some apartments in that area that are decent. The area around UCCS is very nice, and I like east and north of there the best.

As far as the area just west of downtown, bordered by I-25, W Uintah, N 21st, and W Cimarron St, it is, IMO, noisy with traffic and a bit rough on the eye. Further west of there is an area called Old Colorado City, which does have a certain funky charm, boutiques, eateries, a bit of nightlife, and a much better choice.

To me, the only nightlife in town is downtown, which is safe, walkable and there are plenty of charming older homes east of downtown that are good commutes to UCCS. Up near Colorado College (CC) is esp nice. There are a lot of eateries downtown, especially along Tejon St, and the students from CC support some nightlife there. A good brewpub with billiards upstairs is right across the street from the Antlers Hilton where you can sit and listen to free jazz on Friday evenings, which I find very civilized. A block below the Hilton is Pikes Peak Center where some good shows come to town. Good music acts come to World Arena on the south side, where we saw the Trans Siberian Express last winter and it was an amazing show.

s/Mike

Old 07-23-2007, 12:58 PM

64 posts, read 193,216 times
Default Hey CoBound

If you do end up in Co. Springs, here is a place for you to watch the Buckeyes.

Buckeyes in Colorado Springs. (broken link)

Old 07-23-2007, 07:03 PM

2 posts, read 6,279 times
I have two words for you Mike "Manitou Springs". An old hippy community within walking distance. Beautiful scenery, streams, great hiking on a trail head that goes up Pikes Peak from there. Lots of restaurants, shopping and locals who you get to know right away.

It's on the west side but close to GOG "Garden of the Gods" and all sorts of other treasures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or