Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 11:24 PM
SYS SYS started this thread

339 posts, read 1,168,048 times

Advertisements

I've been living in a cul-de-sac in Briargate for the past 8 years. All the neighbors were well behaved and we got along really well. Then, within the past couple of years things started to change. A hoarder moved in one day and quickly changed the house into a junk yard. They hoard so much junk in their house that they can't even park their car inside their own garage full of junk. The once well maintained front yard became a jungle with all kinds of weeds growing. Believe it or not, several neighbors got together and cleaned up their own front yard one day to send the family a "message." Their backyard has become something unspeakable. It's like something out of a horror movie.

Then another new neighbor moved in a little while back. The man drives a semi-truck for a living. The problem is that he brings his semi-truck home from work. He'd be gone for a week or two driving his truck, but when he's back, his semi-truck gets parked in front of his house until he's off to another job. He then has a regular truck sitting in his driveway along with a jeep. He even had a boat parked in front of his house for a long time, but I haven't seen the boat lately. The sight of this huge truck that is choking half the cul-de-sac is an eye sore to all the neighbors.

Needless to say, all the rest of neighbors are very concerned, not knowing what to do with these two new neighbors. I'd very much appreciate your input in how to deal with such situations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 11:27 PM

47 posts, read 145,196 times
Do you have an HOA? If so, I would take pictures and send in a complaint. Then let the HOA take care of it, as that is what they are there for. Good luck!

Old 11-22-2010, 11:35 PM

That's the thing, we don't have an HOA to rely on. The burden of finding out what to do rests on me and my neighbors. We've been talking among ourselves long enough. Now, we want to take action. I'll have to look into the city code.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:35 PM

9,894 posts, read 21,930,870 times
All it takes is 1 or 2 people to ruin a neighborhood.

Call your city code enforcement on the lady & i doubt it if you can do much about the man with the semi truck.
At least hes gone a few weeks at a time.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
All it takes is 1 or 2 people to ruin a neighborhood.

Call your city code enforcement on the lady & i doubt it if you can do much about the man with the semi truck.
At least hes gone a few weeks at a time.
I suspect that the semi-trucker knows exactly what he's doing. He and his wife seem to know that they're persona non grata in our cul-de-sac, but they seem to be quite experienced with situations like this enough to live comfortably among us.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:43 AM

641 posts, read 2,267,980 times
I would report them to code enforcement. You can fill out and submit a complaint online. I've included the link.

Unfortunately, I've had to report several neighbors on my street for leaving trash and junk in their yard and letting their lawns get absolutely out of control. Weeds were 2 feet high at one house and an old bbq grill turned over in the front yard didn't seem to bother the person living there.

It worked....several days after submitting the complaint, a notice was taped to the door and then they actually cleaned up, but I think it's something that will be a continual problem.

It's a shame that people don't have enough consideration to take care of their property, if not for their own sake, for the sake of their neighbors. That's commendable that your neighbors took it on themselves to clean it up, but I don't think they'll get the message.

You can also leave a letter for them, signed by all the neighbors, and see if that has any effect.

Here's the link.

Code Enforcement Complaint Form - Colorado Springs Police Department

Old 11-23-2010, 09:28 AM

86 posts, read 338,568 times
SYS, I feel for you! I once had a neighbor who went out and bought a bunch of wooden garage doors, painted them all different colors and used them for a fence. This neighbor was a constant problem with his poor taste in yard decorations, trash burning, junk collection, weeds, noise, etc. So the rest of us neighbors got together and complained to code enforcement, the fire department and LE. Though the fence wasn't against code enforcement rules, the rest was taken care of.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:42 AM

50,169 posts, read 23,808,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYS View Post
That's the thing, we don't have an HOA to rely on. The burden of finding out what to do rests on me and my neighbors. We've been talking among ourselves long enough. Now, we want to take action. I'll have to look into the city code.
I sympathize with you. And this points out something to the rest of us. While many of us with HOAs often complain about the restrictions, the restrictions are often better than what one can have without them.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:39 AM

I just stepped outside to pick up my newspaper this morning, and of course there sits a humongous semi truck along with his broken truck, an SUV, and a jeep in their driveway, along with about 3 or 4 bicycles along the side of their garage, 2 or 3 truck tires, and a huge trash bin. And that's just from one view angle.

Yes, phetaroi, I totally agree with you on HOA. I once lived in a neighborhood with a very strict HOA guidelines, and I loved it. I'd much rather avoid experiencing those folks who continue to abuse with such guidelines than having to suffer the stress of dealing with such issues.

Terytee - thank you for the online form. I shared it with my next door neighbor, as well.

Old 11-23-2010, 11:43 AM

Ah... I think I found the City Code I was looking for....

Under Chapter 10, Article 12, it states:

10.12.107: ALL NIGHT PARKING _ RESIDENTIAL AREAS:

Except for State highways no person shall park any truck on any street in a residential zone use district for a period of time longer than thirty (30) minutes between eight o'clock (8:00) P.M. and seven o'clock (7:00) A.M. (Ord. 81-216; Ord. 85-263; Ord. 88-151; Ord. 01-42)

I think the word "truck" has to weigh over 10,000 lbs. Does anyone know how much a typical semi-truck (without the trailer or cargo) weighs? I think it's over 10,000 lbs, but I'm not absolutely sure.

Now, I gotta search for the other hoarder neighbor issue...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs