U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 07:17 PM

1 posts, read 36,130 times

Advertisements

Hello, I just found this forum. Looks like a great resource.

We are moving from Camp Lejeune, NC to the Springs in two weeks. I don't know whether to go with Comcast or Qwest for high speed Internet and in home Wi-Fi.

Would appreciate any comments (pros and cons).

Thanks!

Birdie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 08:00 PM

1,937 posts, read 5,943,778 times
I have comcast and thus far, my internet has gone out only once- in the past 5 years. So, I have no complaints.

Old 07-11-2007, 10:33 AM

60 posts, read 277,014 times
Smile Comcast vs Qwest DSL

Birdie,

In the three years I've lived here I have had both. I had Adephia (Comcast now) and it worked fine because we didn't have DSL yet in my area of Briargate. After a year Comcast doubled the price (from $25 to $50) and at the same time Qwest was available up here. I changed over to DSL and have not regretted it at all. I also have a WI-FI connection that works great for different computers in my house. BTW, I pay around $75 a month for my DSL and my phone service through Qwest.

Joe
Semper Fi

Last edited by Joebondoe; 07-11-2007 at 10:34 AM.. Reason: Changes

Old 07-11-2007, 10:58 AM

528 posts, read 2,298,594 times
I have Comcast at home and Qwest DSL at work, they both are fast. Honestly though, I have had more wireless connection problems with Comcast than with Qwest.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:03 AM

44 posts, read 281,612 times
I'm going to be moving there in April. Here in Florida, AT&T bundles DirecTV, Cell Phone and High-speed internet together. Is there a company that bundles those 3 in Colorado Springs?

Old 07-12-2007, 10:24 PM

55 posts, read 342,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_FL View Post
I'm going to be moving there in April. Here in Florida, AT&T bundles DirecTV, Cell Phone and High-speed internet together. Is there a company that bundles those 3 in Colorado Springs?
Check out Qwest for bundles:

Qwest | Choose Your State

Old 08-10-2007, 05:39 PM

4 posts, read 48,672 times
I'll put in a plug for Qwest. It's as fast as you'd ever need it to be, and my service has not gone down once.

Old 08-19-2007, 02:04 PM

24 posts, read 81,985 times
We have Comcast, but man is it expensive since they took over adelphia, $53/month. They dropped it to $33 promo for 6 mos. but after that I will be checking into DSL. Neighbor next door had a firedog guy working on wireless setup he said he prefers Qwest DSL, fwiw.

Old 08-19-2007, 02:38 PM

38 posts, read 290,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summit21 View Post
We have Comcast, but man is it expensive since they took over adelphia, $53/month. They dropped it to $33 promo for 6 mos. but after that I will be checking into DSL. Neighbor next door had a firedog guy working on wireless setup he said he prefers Qwest DSL, fwiw.

As someone who is online all the time for both work and personal stuff, I must say this.... and yes its a biased standpoint based on my experiences with Comcast.....

Comcast stinks. Of course, all ISP's are starting to really stink. If all you are wanting to do is surf and check your email, then go for Qwest's cheap DSL package and save yourself some money.

Due to the nature of Cable internet, you don't always get the bandwidth you pay for. I'm paying for 8mb down, and regularly only get half that. I do a LOT of open-source work, linux/unix/etc etc and some of that stuff is only available via P2P which despite what Comcast and the media want you to believe, its NOT illegal. But Comcast is now blocking me from using it because they say ALL p2p stuff is illegal.....

Comcast is constantly increasing its prices, and lowering its service (the latter is just my opinion)

Comcast has shut down my internet several times because they claim I'm running public servers.... nope I'm not.

Comcast also limits the amount of bandwidth you can use over a month but its a non-specific amount. Basically, they are
Do a search on www.DSLreports.com for BOTH companies to see various information and reports.

If you mean HOME wireless then its cheaper usually to install it yourself if you know how.

I don't know about Qwest, but if I could get it in my area I would sure try. I use Comcast because they are the only ones able to get me internet. I can't even get satellite because my apartment side faces the wrong bloody way and there are big obstructions.

Old 08-19-2007, 03:08 PM

1,048 posts, read 3,801,062 times
DSL would be cheaper but generally not as fast as Comcast (it is fast just not as fast). In the end, it depends on if you need the really fast speed and willing to pay extra for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs