U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-18-2006, 01:38 PM

1 posts, read 9,441 times

Advertisements

my wife and i are thinking about moving to co springs, we have a 7 yr girl and 2 yr boy, i have heard good things about briargate...EXCEPT for it being quite heavily hispanic(i don't speak spanish ) and that it is super conservative. I have a lot of tattoos. Oh yeah, we are from Orange County CA and we heard that coloradans have a problem with californians, is this true?? How bad is it? Plus we will want to go to church(tattoos a problem??) and not a church that pickets abortion clinics or tells kids they are going to hell if they don't agree with them. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED!!! Thank You, Eric
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2006, 10:36 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,944,708 times
Briargate is a really nice & safe neighborhood. Typically, Coloradan's dont care much for Californian's (or Texan's) because so many of them have moved into to Colorado & drove the cost of living through the roof (among other reason's) but I dont think Ive ever seen a Coloradan go out of their way to be rude to anyone based solely on where they were from.

Old 08-24-2006, 07:26 AM

138 posts, read 559,543 times
I think that the Californian/ Texan thing is more of a joke. I've lived here 25 years, and I've only met a handful of people who actually have a real beef about it. I don't think you'll have a problem finding a church you are comfortable in. We have a lot of very laid-back non-legalistic churches. The greeter at the church we attended in Colorado Springs (we changed when we moved to Monument) had tattoos and dreadlocks (spelling?) down his back. Lots of people wear shorts and jeans.

Old 08-24-2006, 10:05 AM

87 posts, read 439,247 times
Briargate is one of the nicer part of Colo Spring, but it doesn't have hispanics as you stated.

Yes, the CA in CO debate is pointless and it won't be an issue if you chose to move to this great city.

Some Coloradans are conservatives others aren't ...just like anywhere else...but there are a number of religious organizations in the Colorado Springs area.

Old 08-24-2006, 02:10 PM

17,373 posts, read 24,638,364 times
There are some Hispanics living here in the Briargate area - and some of most every other color, race, religion and nationality. All it means is they can afford to spend $350k to $800k for a home, and that's fine with me. Everyone is welcome and I've never seen anything negative nor heard any discouraging words spoken.

s/Mike

Old 08-29-2006, 05:14 AM

1,313 posts, read 4,951,670 times
Hmmm, lived in Colorado Springs from my birth in August of 1968 to January of 1994. Moved to Grand Junction then Denver and moved back to C Springs in August of 1998.

I have lived in Briargate since that most recent move.

Honestly, it's pretty much a caucasian not that that is such a good thing. I have a good mix of black, white, hispanic, misc asians...pretty much a mix of people.

Keep in mind that that last tallies (sp) for C Springs as a community is 14%-20% hispanic and this is not a bad thing so I don't know what would be an issue with that. Denver has a higher hispanic population but with the military here, we are quite the interesting bunch in CS.

Oh and despite what Mike above said, you can still buy a house for under $200,000 in Briargate, my neighborhood is a prime example. In my 'hood we have everyone from two cops to several construction peoples, web designers (like me), retired folk, Army, software engineers, DOD workers to everything else.

As for your tatoos. Well, my family is very active in the two churches locally. Look for the less "evangelical" churches and they will embrace you. Hell, my uncle heads a ministry here that caters to juveniles in detention. A tatoo doesn't bother him nor does my brother who has seen it all in the contstruction industry.

It might take you a while to find the right religious venue for you but in the eyes of God, what you've done to your body doesn't matter in the least. What is in your heart is most important.

This coming from a theologist rather than a Christian. Drives my family nuts I am not attending church with them or participating in their Bible study but they accept me as best they feel they can. They belong to more evangelical churches than I could accept but there are more main stream places to worship if you need.

I was born and raised in CO....it's a joke that Californians are not accepted here. Mostly (and this goes within me being a native, if you will) it's the other Californians, Texans and other transplants that want to shut the doors to others coming here. I have seen the signs when I lived in western Colorado briefly but it's not serious. If you meet a true native, you wont get that as much as you would from a transplant that came here and now wants the doors shut behind them.

Good luck, Briargate is pretty mellow if you do move here.

Old 09-05-2006, 11:43 PM

9 posts, read 51,800 times
Smile relocating to CS and really love Briargate

Hi, everyone,
We are going to pack up and move to Colorado Springs from Lakewood with my husband's new job very soon.
And this is the 3rd move this year.(We are originally Houstonian)
Really love the weather and people.
So hopefully this is the last move for a very very long time.
We are thinking of buying a house since we are planning for a baby.
Yesterday we did a little driving from lakewood for "scouting", and unexpectedtly we met Briargate.
It seems to be a very nice , family oriented area.I fell in love with it right away.When I searched on the internet and talked to a realtor ,I was a bit disapointed by her reply.
She told me it's difficult to have a house in Briargate under 200,000.
We can only afford something around 200,000.
But Coflower said it's possible to find a house under 200,000 in that area,
it is really exciting!
Any suggestion where to look? what zip code or what street?
Any threads are appreciated.
Thank you

Last edited by mayrain17; 09-06-2006 at 12:00 AM..

Old 09-06-2006, 12:58 PM

138 posts, read 559,543 times
Depending on the size and age of the home, you can find something in Briargate for under $200,000. In fact, we currently have 32 homes for sale in Briargate for under $200,000.

Old 09-06-2006, 01:58 PM

9 posts, read 51,800 times
Default that sounds nice

to know there are a lot of houses for sale makes me feel excited!
Thanks,CSColorado

Old 03-18-2007, 11:44 PM

24 posts, read 82,739 times
Can someone tell me whether you have to live in a specific neighborhood of Briargate for kids to be able to attend the Academy International School? I have a map of the district and with a little research it looks like you have to live in Summerfield to be able to go there. Since this school offers such a specialized international program, I can't imagine that they would only allow that section of the neighbprhood to go there. Is this a Choice school perhaps? I can't tell which schools are Choice and which aren't from the school/district websites. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs