Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2010, 11:37 PM

46 posts, read 134,352 times

Advertisements

My husband and I just had a child, we also have a puppy. He is in the military and stationed at Fort Carson. We are looking to find a place to live possibly in the next two years. That may be a lot of time to everyone but we have a lot of research to do and so on. I'm hoping people can give me opinions on where a good place to buy one would be. Below is what i'm looking for roughly in an area.

1) Safe for children and good schools
2) Close to base, a small commute is not bad either
3) Nice looking area, don't want trash and falling apart buildings nearby
4) A community feel. Not off of a highway.

I suppose that is it really. I can find libraries, hospitals and so on once moved to the area. But those are my main concern. I currently live over near South Academy, near Hartford St. I basically can't walk anywhere as I live right off the highway in a townhome. We are looking for a nice single home for us. I'd really appreciate the input. Don't worry too much about how much i'm willing to spend. But if you have an idea about how expensive homes might be in the area you suggest let me know, otherwise i'll research into it. Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 08:31 AM

1,742 posts, read 3,116,567 times
With the continued rise in foreclosures I think 2012 might be close the bottom of this housing mess. The projections are another increase in foreclosures in 2011. Renting right now is a good idea. RP

Old 12-09-2010, 10:49 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Agree with renting, especially with the way the Army moves people around every so often; though not as often as in the past, they still rotate people from base to base.

Fountain area is very good for your requirements; close to Fort Carson, good area, good people, good schools, lots of fellow soldiers.

Use our search tool with keywords like: Fountain and/or Carson, etc.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:51 AM

46 posts, read 134,352 times
Thanks everyone for the input!

Old 12-10-2010, 11:46 AM

1,938 posts, read 7,125,173 times
Also, keep the Widefield Community Center in mind for great activities for the kids and families. They have an indoor pool and a great community center. Pretty good library too. If you end up moving that way. One of the news anchors- John Carroll if I remember correctly, lives down there and you will see him at the Security Public library a lot and at Walmart.
If you do Fountain, I would suggest the Heritage Homes neighborhood. Lots of military families in the middle income range who enjoy walking the neighborhood, friendly, great for trick-or-treating. The commute to base depending on the traffic is around 10-20 minutes. I used to live by the Safeway in Fountain and even when I went to gate 2 (is that right? By Mountainside Elem...) it was a 17 minute commute.
I've had friends who live on the south side of Colorado Springs and hated it...too ghetto. But I now chuckle now that I am out east and experienced a whole new meaning of ghetto! Watch out!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs