Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 04:29 PM

911 posts, read 2,149,884 times

Advertisements

We are hoping for this to be our final move. We now mostly work from home and we homeschool so we have more freedom to choose than we ever have or ever will. It's now or never! (well, We need to wait out this lease, but THEN... ;-)

We are looking hard at Colorado Springs. The rent seems more affordable than most other areas, the crime seems fairly in control (compared to most "great lakes region" cities of it's size), and I have living experience of Colorado (well a couple years as a teen, in park county)

I have very little doubt that we'll love it there and adapt with little issue :-)

Here's a couple things that I'm wondering:

I'm looking for a great traditional catholic middle/high school (I only homeschool up to 6-7 grade). If not catholic then private or charter. I'm just not a big fan of public schools (no offense to anyone who feelings contradict mine) with good extracurricular options!

I'm looking for an area that's safe, reasonably inexpensive ($1500 or less for rent on a 4 bedroom home), with a homey, community feel. We really like Manitou Springs a LOT but haven't seen any rentals there on craigslist. Another good option would be within 20 minutes north of Co Springs so that we'll also be closer to what Denver has to offer. We would sacrifice this for a inexpensive mountain town within 15 or so of Co Springs.

We are catholic but most of our friends are very liberal. We can get along with anyone, so that's not an issue. Manitou Springs seems to be the most "us" from what we've seen. I know it's not close, but examples of towns we like are conifer/Bailey, woody creek, glenwood springs, Central city... I know, they all are very different from eachother but those are my examples lol we wouldn't mind living in the city, but feel more comfortable out just a little
ways.

Do you have any school and/or community ideas? We are moving at the end of summer and will be visiting the area in the springtime to visit schools and secure a rental. Thanks so much for any insight. You guys are so helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 04:37 PM

6,809 posts, read 10,473,068 times
Catholic Schools in the Springs: Unified Catholic Schools and St. Mary's High School - Official Website

Old 12-28-2010, 06:39 PM

Thanks for the heads up on the catholic schools. I wouldve guessed there'd be more, but looking at google I guess not!

Another question- are there any dog breed bans in CoS?

Old 12-28-2010, 06:44 PM

26,162 posts, read 48,881,878 times
Most public school systems here are very good to excellent. Please don't dismiss them out of hand. Use the Index of key threads or use the search tool with terms like D8, D12, D20, D38, D49, etc.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-28-2010, 06:45 PM

2,140 posts, read 6,455,598 times
No breed bans in Colorado Springs.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:59 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,593,444 times
Colorado Springs is filled with charter schools in every district. But like a previous poster said, don't dismiss the public schools without checking them out first.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:10 PM

1,938 posts, read 7,111,515 times
Colorado Springs Christian School (CSCS) is a popular private school. Fountain Valley School is also a small private school in a country setting. Both have lots of extra-curricula activities and clubs.

Again, COS has great public schools.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:07 PM

6,809 posts, read 10,473,068 times
If you were going to go private, I would recommend the Catholic schools. The others are inordinately expensive, imho.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:08 AM

1,225 posts, read 4,912,415 times
Check out Monument or Palmer Lake. Both are minutes north of COS, with reasonable access to south Denver or Castle Rock. St. Peter's Catholic School is in Monument and the local school district(38) is highly rated. You should be able to rent a 4+ bed home on a large lot for 1500. Good Luck.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:37 AM

Sweet! Thanks for all the info. I will consider your advices about looking into the public schools since it seems to be unanimous lol and also speak with the other schools mentioned, and see I'd they'll send me more information. St mary's seems a bit serious though...? I'm wondering if anyone here has had experience with the school.

Thank you pilot for the leads on the towns. I will look at those right now...

Any more suggestions would be great, especially some ideas for relatively inexpensive mountain towns in the area. I know, that may be an oxymoron...

Thanks so much!

We're soooo excited :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs