U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 01:23 PM

3 posts, read 7,504 times

Advertisements

I am a RN moving to COS for work with my family. My husband is orginally from Mexico, a tattoo artist and family man. We have two bilingual children that have thrived living within the mutli-cultutal accepting atmosphere of Denver. We are so excited to live in such a beautiful area and are hoping to find a place we can where we can feel at home.

What areas of COS are welcoming to Mexicans? We will be looking for a Catholic church with a Spanish mass, and hoping to find an area that welcomes latinos. We'll be looking to rent a house at first, what areas should we steer towrads? Also, my daughter will be entering middle school. We'd love to find a successful school that support racial diviersity.

We know COS isn't Denver but are ready for the adventure and hoping to find the right area for us. Thanks for any and all info!

:-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 04:23 PM

5,006 posts, read 6,683,532 times
I would strongly recommend Widefield/Security to you! If you want to be closer to the Rancho Liborio market and the carnicerias/fruiterias then Harrison District 2 is the place to be, but Widefield is close and the schools are generally considered better overall. If you want to me more toward the middle of town, then I might recommend the area around North Middle School in District 11. I think the whole area supports racial diversity but the northern areas of town are frankly less diverse and less equipped in that regard, generally speaking.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:39 PM

841 posts, read 1,249,364 times
Excellent advice by Otowi!!

Old 01-10-2011, 07:02 PM

5,006 posts, read 6,683,532 times
Oh, and there are some Spanish masses in Widefield/Security. There's a wonderful brand new Catholic church - St. Dominic's (http://www.coloradostdominic.org/Mass_Schedule/Mass_Schedule.htm - broken link)which has one on Saturday and Immaculate Conception, a much smaller one, has Tridentine rite mass (I don't know what that means - I'm not Catholic).

In the Springs, Our Lady of Guadalupe has a few Spanish masses on Sunday. St. Gabriel's also has one but it is way north up by Liberty High School. The Catholic center in the Citadel Mall has Spanish confession and maybe the churches do too, but I don't know enough about it.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:59 AM

Thank you so much, valuble information. I can't wait to move!

Old 01-18-2011, 04:34 AM
OSO

5 posts, read 8,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlesunshine1 View Post
I am a RN moving to COS for work with my family. My husband is orginally from Mexico, a tattoo artist and family man. We have two bilingual children that have thrived living within the mutli-cultutal accepting atmosphere of Denver. We are so excited to live in such a beautiful area and are hoping to find a place we can where we can feel at home.

What areas of COS are welcoming to Mexicans? We will be looking for a Catholic church with a Spanish mass, and hoping to find an area that welcomes latinos. We'll be looking to rent a house at first, what areas should we steer towrads? Also, my daughter will be entering middle school. We'd love to find a successful school that support racial diviersity.

We know COS isn't Denver but are ready for the adventure and hoping to find the right area for us. Thanks for any and all info!

:-)
I too am bilingual & found that most places in the Colorado Springs areas are fairly diverse. Most of the latino markets are near the center of town. The biggest one its Rancho Liborio but not contrary to belief not everything is good. There's a good carneceria near maizland & academy. South end of town is good but I've found that the west side near old colorado city & east of academy north of plate/hwy 24 is fairly diverse, has decent schools & plenty off homes for rent with resonable prices. north of stetson hills I haven't noticed is as diverse as other areas but don't let that discourage you. Check out this link Colorado schools get first ratings under new standards - The Denver Post it shows the best school districts. Choose what's best for your family, don't let any ignoranus segregate you. You work & pay taxes & should be able to have the same opportunities as your peers. (not sure what the last poster meant by his comment)

Old 01-18-2011, 07:07 AM

2,139 posts, read 5,485,170 times
I just saw a Catholic church with a Spanish mass on Constitution. I think it was between Academy and Powers. Also, I thought there was some cool houses in that area.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:03 AM
OSO

5 posts, read 8,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalahartma View Post
I just saw a Catholic church with a Spanish mass on Constitution. I think it was between Academy and Powers. Also, I thought there was some cool houses in that area.
I think that's "Holy Apostles" on oro blanco & N carefree. They don't have spanish mass but I know quite a few latino friends that attend there.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:51 AM

2,139 posts, read 5,485,170 times
Not sure, but I was driving on Constitution @ Oro Blanco, there was a large church with a spanish sign, and I think it mentioned masses, I could be wrong tho.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:08 AM

Thank you all for the input. I have been looking around North Middle School area, right now. I think being centrally located sounds best to me. I am on the look out for a great rental house.... the commute from central Denver is already getting old... and it's only been a week!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or