U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 02:55 PM

27 posts, read 83,679 times

Advertisements

I finally moved to Widefield last Friday (7/13/07), and will begin my teaching job next month. In the 4 days I've been here:
1. Someone paintballed my brother's car;
2. Someone threw a lighted firecracker at my dog, and burned his back;
3. Neighbors are unhelpful and unfriendly;
4. The walking path has obscene drawings on it.

Many of you told me to rent first, not buy. I didn't listen. I'm stuck with my house and my neighborhood because I bought the house. I've had Brinks installed for security, and I guess I'll stay in the backyard and enjoy the view of Pikes Peak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 03:31 PM

13,631 posts, read 21,489,347 times
Hang in there! We had talked about Widefield becoming a better place because you can make a difference.

Keep looking for helpful neighbors. There are volunteer places and perhaps corrections places that can have troubled kids or people serving community service to remove the obscene drawings from the walk path.

Hopefully the firecracker incident will never happen again. This 4th of July was crazy around here this year. You are the second person in the Colorado forum to mention cruelty to animals with regards to fireworks this summer.

For now, I'd consider getting cameras to protect property and your dog. What else can you do? How dry is the ink on those Mortgage papers?

Old 07-17-2007, 04:46 PM

27 posts, read 83,679 times
Default Thank you for your encouragement, McGow

I'm feeling a little alone and vulnerable, I suppose. Once I feel more at home and more familiar with the area, I believe things will improve for me. The ink is very dry on my mortgage, and I believe I got a good deal on my home here. Plus, moving was (and still is) a nightmare. I'm not moving again for a llllllllooooonnnnnngggggg time.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:19 AM

38 posts, read 178,539 times
It would certainly be nice if making a difference in your community was enough...but unfortuantely it's not.It seems lately ppl get lured here by the seemingly low cost of living(low by California or Florida standards anyway),and the "purple mountains majesty" and the outdoorsy things to do...but of course on travel brochures and real estate ads they never tell the truth about places round here.It wouldn't have been any fun to tell you of the fact you probably have 20 meth labs within 10 square miles of you...or that the county lockup is less than 5 miles away...among other things such as high crime and bad schools.I do not want to be an alarmist or hurt anyone's feelings,but problems seem to be swept under the rug around this city in particular...i've noticed a lot of the "ignore it and it will go away" mentality,and ppl who do not live in bad neighborhoods do not know what they are talking about when it comes to ideas on how to turn it around.Neighborhood watch is only effective when you have something to look at and protect...and ppl care enough about others to watch.

Old 07-18-2007, 01:01 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,741,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganbornandproud View Post
It would certainly be nice if making a difference in your community was enough...but unfortuantely it's not.It seems lately ppl get lured here by the seemingly low cost of living(low by California or Florida standards anyway),and the "purple mountains majesty" and the outdoorsy things to do...but of course on travel brochures and real estate ads they never tell the truth about places round here.It wouldn't have been any fun to tell you of the fact you probably have 20 meth labs within 10 square miles of you...or that the county lockup is less than 5 miles away...among other things such as high crime and bad schools.I do not want to be an alarmist or hurt anyone's feelings,but problems seem to be swept under the rug around this city in particular...i've noticed a lot of the "ignore it and it will go away" mentality,and ppl who do not live in bad neighborhoods do not know what they are talking about when it comes to ideas on how to turn it around.Neighborhood watch is only effective when you have something to look at and protect...and ppl care enough about others to watch.
(Bolding mine of course)

I don't think that the idea that brochures and real estate ads here in C Springs and surrounding is any different than any other place in the country. I think it unfair to characterize it in that we (C Springs) are unique that way. You certainly will never see in an ad "Cute 2 bedroom victorian home located within walking distance of the county correctional facility and beautiful views of the water treatment plant" in any city or town in this nation. Be honest with yourself in that manner.

Anyone moving to a new place they are not familiar with should do things like internet searches, posting to places like here, talk to locals while visiting (not just the real estate broker or chamber of commerce) and such. Ads and brochures are to play up any product or service - it's called sales.

Heck, having lived here all my life I bought a little house on the west side and I was lucky that I had known that there would be a long-term widening of I-25 so while in negotiations with the owner for the purchase of the house, I was able to get the preliminary engineering report on how my potential new home would be impacted - this was pre-internet. But that doesn't excuse people (no offense to the OP) from doing other forms of research either.

My brother's commercial construction company built the King Soopers near my house and a few people that sort of border the property complained on a regular basis about it...not just the construction but the building as well. Had the woman (who called his company a few times a week) done a search with country planning records, she would have known that the property had been zoned for that specific use long before the homes it borders were built.

Relying upon real estate ads and snazzy brochures sure is not a way to buy a property. I realize (based on your location description) you are not enamored with C Springs but it seems as though some of your comments are negative and that's fine but the presentation of them seem a little skewed in the way in which you present them.

In addition, anyone that has lived here for any decent length of time will tell you which areas of town to avoid if at all possible, a real estate ad or brochure isn't going to tell you that up front nor are some real estate agents/brokers - they want to sell you a house - some will be upfront and honest though. Widefield has some nice areas though but I wouldn't be able to tell anyone specifically which neighborhoods to stay away from.

I'm just saying that it's not a unique phenomenom.

Old 07-18-2007, 01:12 PM

13,631 posts, read 21,489,347 times
Quote:
Well now, HITRVM had posted this thread a good while back. It didn't get much action. He admitted that he regrets his decision to come out here and buy instead of renting. So hindsight is very 20/20, isn't it? In fact, where was your post about a month and 12 days ago? In fact, just the description of your location, "Craparado Springs" may have proved useful to HITRVM.

So what you are saying is "You're stuck. There's no hope."

Last edited by McGowdog; 07-18-2007 at 01:20 PM.. Reason: forgot a word

Old 07-18-2007, 01:33 PM

Wasn't necessarily characterizing CS to bein a ghetto from border to border...but when it comes to the way advertisements,news,and even travel brochures are in this city,it just isn't openly represented to be what it truly is.Everywhere you look,you see "Visit beautiful Garden of the Gods" or "See the Cave of the Winds"...play those up yes,be a good salesman yes...but to not tell ppl when they move into a drug riddled high crime neighborhood until the salesman has dry ink on a mortgage so they can "laugh all the way to the Bank"??...That's not fair...and it should be criminal.I have gotten the impression from this city that the statewide joke commonly told for years about the state slogan being "if you don't ski,don't bother"...to be pretty realistic.It should be added that if you don't have thousands at your disposal to live anywhere but throwaway towns and neighborhoods(AKA Cimarron Hills,Park Hill,Southeast side CS,Fountain and Widefield),then don't bother.I know that CS is not unique to this "clean it and lie through your teeth til the check clears" phenomenon...but ppl who work 60+ hours a week with 2 incomes nowadays can't hardly afford run down dumps with boarded windows in this town anymore.It is a tourist trap and salvation to out of staters who have higher costs elsewhere,and then those of us who wan't out get enough to survive,but don't have enough to get out and make it elsewhere.Everything new in this town seems to be aimed at the wealthy or elite...new houses for the bargain price of $350,000...rent's a steal at $1200 a month...if you can afford it...have at it...and God bless

Old 07-18-2007, 03:32 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,741,121 times
michiganbornandproud - IMO your characterization of CS is very skewed.

I live in Briargate, which in my direct 'hood is pretty much has construction types, retired people of limited means, Army, police officers and the like. They aren't run down homes, the 'hood is relatively safe and rents in the area can be as low as $900-$1000 a month for a small home with a decent sized lot.

I also know of a family with five children that lived across the street from me, a four bedroom (which is not common in our 'hood) living on a construction supervisor salary, the mom stayed home with the kids.

If you are so against C Springs and can only see it through your tunnel vision, and based on what you have posted in the past in other threads, please make a run for it now.

BTW, I have lived in Cimmaron Hills (back in 1987 and 1989) in a fourplex on Mineola Ct. there. Not the nicest of 'hoods in the city but I felt safe, no drugs around that I could tell and over all the neighbors were pretty nice.

I have also lived in Holland Park (two separate times). Similar 'hood to the Cimmaron Hills location I was in but much older fourplexes. I never felt unsafe and had fabulous neighbors with which to socialize with and during bad weather, power outages and such, we'd check up with each other. All of us were pretty darn low on the income scale but we made the best of it with what we had as a group of neighbors.

It's sad that you see that only the wealthy and elite seem to be the only people that can enjoy their lives in C Springs and I contend that isn't so.

Yes, C Springs markets itself to the tourists and does so in the same way that Denver, San Diego, Dallas, Atlanta, Chicago, Billings, Salt Lake...need I go on? For C Springs it is a major draw for $ and has been since General Palmer began this city in 1871 - as a resort city. That was his vision and that has remained and with the military that came in (Ft. Carson IIRC, which wasn't properly named Ft. Carson at the time, was the first military installation to come in) C Springs was able to become strangely diversified city.

C Springs prides itself in the vision of Palmer and it was built up tremendously in the earlier years because of the success of Cripple Creek during its gold rush days. It also was seen as a healthy place for those suffering consumption (aka tuberculosis). The healthy image of C Springs also spurred the USOC to come in and take over former Army dormatories to headquarter here.

Skiing is not a requirement for living in C Springs or the state for that matter. I used to ski but have gone through the "I have time but no money and the I have money but no time"...life is what you make of it in that instance. There are plenty of things that people and those with families can do even on a limited budget. Hiking is free, biking (assuming you can afford a bike) is free, the C Springs and El Paso county parks departments have a lot of activities for all ages along with parks that are free or low cost. Strolling through Old Colorado City or Manitou can be fun and free. Going to GotGs is free. Flying a kite is free. Walking and getting to know your neighbors so you feel safer (even just a friendly HI is not that hard).

My family came here in the early 50s when it was still a pretty sleepy small city. My father and I discuss it quite frequently and it astonishes me the things he can tell me about the area long before I was ever born.

However, I will say this, to blame your personal economic conditions on the greater is unfair and I think people see that but are afraid to speak to you about it. I realize you aren't happy here but your seemingly one-sided view with a few positive words strewn about is a tad bit grating, at least to me. Know that's not a personal attack, it's just a feeling I have from what I have seen you post here. I am sure you are a lot less negative off the boards.

Colorado Springs is far from perfect. There is no town or city in this entire nation that can be perfect. Every city and town also have similar or worse problems than C Springs. Some places are better, I agree. I will also say that "the grass is always greener..." and I have experienced that on my own.

This is something I have to remind myself more often: We are only limited by the boundries we set for ourselves. I get down on myself, not my city, for the limitations I have. My economic standing is my own fault and could be doing a lot better than I am if I were to keep that sentence in the forefront of my daily living. I too have negative thoughts about my own living situation but I brought that on myself...

Anyhow, this wasn't a dig at you but the blaming of C Springs for your living situation and lack of financial resources isn't the fairest way to define the city. We choose our paths and sometimes our paths go left when they should have gone right but it's not the place you live in, it's the way we live our lives and how we perceive things.

< shrug >

Old 07-18-2007, 10:59 PM

First things first,thank you COflower for making it clear that you were not personally attacking me...I do realize that you were only defending what you believe.
Concerning your BTW...I currently live literal feet from Mineola Ct. in Cimarron Hills area,and it is MUCH different then it was in 1987-1989.If I knew what I know now when my husband and I moved over here from Holland Park(where I attended school and grew up in that neighborhood)we never would have moved over here.It was alluring to go to cheaper rent and less than a mile travel to work for us.I have seen more in the 3 years I've lived in this neighborhood then I ever cared to see.I see open drug use,domestic violence in the middle of the street,and child neglect and/or abuse DAILY.And nothing is done,no matter how many times someone calls DHS or the cops.
Briargate is a nice area,and has lots of higher end homes that I will never own or ever be able to afford to live in.I am fully willing to be accountable that my path led me elsewhere,and I am not willing take handouts from family and that I work VERY hard for what little I have.
I never once said that skiing was a requirement to live here,just making an observation on my part.I've worked for the city Parks and Recreation Department,and have tried to make the best of what I can do when I can afford to.I am a very friendly person and I make a living at smiling big and being energetic and outgoing for my current job.I am completely aware as to what is free to do and costs money to do in this city.I've been here for many years.I am also aware of Palmer's vision and the treatment facilities for consumption.My mother-in-law is native and has lived here all her life with the exception of a small part of the 70s when she was married..She has told me all the stories about things around here that have either expanded far and wide,and the things that do not exist anymore.
I never claimed that anywhere or any one particular place is perfect...and that problems exist worse or better elsewhere.I also was not blaming CS for my economic situation or lack of financial resources.I have enough to get by like I said before,and nothing extra.We work,take care of our kids,pay our bills,and go on with another day.I know I could be better off elsewhere,just can't afford to get out to get to my greener pastures.
I tend to have negative outlooks on certain parts of this city for the very same reasons everyone else does...because I've been there,know people who live/lived there,and have visited these areas frequently.I do not live my life in the ways I see others living it,and try to be oblivious to it and know that someday I will rise above and get what I work hard for.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:44 PM

26,346 posts, read 80,751,010 times
Quote:
Everything new in this town seems to be aimed at the wealthy or elite...new houses for the bargain price of $350,000...rent's a steal at $1200 a month...if you can afford it...have at it...and God bless
Where are places (cities, regions, etc.) that you find acceptable? Are there jobs there? We're curious. What do you get (homes) for how much?

There are homes here for the mid $200K and they are not in bad neighborhoods. They aren't huge but they are starters, decent, and have potential for appreciation. Where? What about the west side of Marksheffel north of Constitution? New or newer homes, and near convenient retail. I drive by there every day. I get good vibes from the neighborhood. For the most part clean and well maintained.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs