U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 10:59 AM

4 posts, read 4,689 times

Advertisements

Okay please don't just refer me to another post, because i assure you i've been reading them. Here goes..
I'm planning a move to COS this coming summer to attend UCCS. I'm moving from manhattan KS, where i've been going to K-State. The school has 24,000 students, so meeting like-minded people here has never been an issue.
I love that there's a lot of ourdoorsy things to do in COS, and i hear it's beautiful... i'm just concerned about the social scene/ nightlife/ culture in the area. Some posts say there's nothing to be worried about, and others say nightlife and culture are non-existant.
Kansas can be considered a conservative state, but living in a college town you don't see as much of that. We also have a mini bar district that's full on the weekends... is there anything of the sort in COS..?

I'd say i'm pretty laid back, so i'm not looking for raging nightclubs...COS is also 4 times the size of Manhattan, KS, so i'm not coming from a huge city.. i just don't want to make the move only to find out that the city is dead.
Especially since i'm moving there by muhself

Oh and i like live music...

Any opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 12:17 PM

20,321 posts, read 37,832,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sajojo View Post
Okay please don't just refer me to another post, because i assure you i've been reading them. Here goes..
I'm planning a move to COS this coming summer to attend UCCS. I'm moving from manhattan KS, where i've been going to K-State. The school has 24,000 students, so meeting like-minded people here has never been an issue.
I love that there's a lot of ourdoorsy things to do in COS, and i hear it's beautiful... i'm just concerned about the social scene/ nightlife/ culture in the area. Some posts say there's nothing to be worried about, and others say nightlife and culture are non-existant.
Kansas can be considered a conservative state, but living in a college town you don't see as much of that. We also have a mini bar district that's full on the weekends... is there anything of the sort in COS..?

I'd say i'm pretty laid back, so i'm not looking for raging nightclubs...COS is also 4 times the size of Manhattan, KS, so i'm not coming from a huge city.. i just don't want to make the move only to find out that the city is dead.
Especially since i'm moving there by muhself

Oh and i like live music...

Any opinions?
There is a small bar district on S. Tejon and nearby, pretty darn safe too. There is some music here, best to check the Indy for listings.

Over on W. Colorado Ave, in an area called Old Colorado City (OCC, a term to use with our search tool) you can find more eateries and bars that IMO are a bit more upscale than the S. Tejon section and also pretty darn safe.

Further west of OCC is Manitou Springs, at the foot of Pikes Peak. It's a place of free spirits, good eats and drinks, rustic shopping, farmers markets, weird festivals (coffin races, mardi gras, fruitcake toss, more) and a fun place, though a bit crowded with summer tourists.

An occasional trip to Denver for nightlife is a good idea, it's only about 90 minutes up I-25 to downtown. Check WestWord for listings.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-28-2011, 04:47 PM

3,133 posts, read 9,115,242 times
There's enough night life on Tejon street to get you into trouble. There is sooooo much more than drinking your life away, so it shoudln't be a problem. You will meet people at the college, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 01-29-2011, 02:58 AM

2,221 posts, read 4,654,594 times
There is nothing even remotely resembling Aggieville in Colorado Springs.

If live music and bars are your priority, why not go somewhere like Tulane in New Orleans, or Vanderbilt in Nashville?

You'll find that, although COS is much larger, we don't have the concentration of young people here that KSU and Ft Riley provide to Manhattan. Alot of the previously described areas here in town are full of bikers and other older tattooed misfits...enough to significantly change the character of the place.

Colorado Springs' forte has never really been "night life" and many of us here are happy to keep it that way.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:40 PM

196 posts, read 483,336 times
Think again. None of the things you are looking for are existant here. COS is NOT the place for 22 YO girl. I wouldn't have done this mistake if I knew it=(((((

Old 02-02-2011, 02:32 PM

4 posts, read 4,689 times
Okay thanks all... good to know.

The problem is i don't have the luxury of choosing wherever i want to live. I have to go where the nursing schools are, and where i can get in-state tuition (my options are KS, CO, & TX). That's a shame... i was really excited about all the outdoorsy things available, beautiful surrounding, and awesome weather, but i need a young social scene. I guess i'll look into Denver... i think there's a nursing school in Aurora..

Old 02-02-2011, 06:47 PM

842 posts, read 1,250,999 times
I moved here when I was straight out of college, and embarking on my professional life. I believe I was 23 when I moved here...

I spent many nights with my husband at Phantom Canyon , hiking Seven Falls, and going out. I'm not a big dance-clubber, though, and I frankly don't really care about live music. COS was a good fit for me, but I'm a low key type of person.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:19 PM

55 posts, read 102,495 times
coming here married is a lot different than coming here single, however. there aren't many young professional singles. more like young military singles. which is ok, but that's the scene here. and the af academy while being a college is so disconnected from the city. there is no college town atmosphere whatsoever.

i came here out of college and have been disappointed with the scene and the city here. i still maintain that there is nothing special about COS besides pike's peak and scenery. nothing man-made in this city comes to mind when i try to think about what i like to do or where i enjoy going. except for the bar benny's which is a goofy place.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:26 PM

55 posts, read 102,495 times
and live music is poor here. there is basically one venue the black sheep that gets all of the indie bands here. and most bands don't make it down here. all the indie bands hit up denver however and most hit up the colfax area specifically. always guaranteed to see a lot of hipsters there on a saturday night.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:24 PM

842 posts, read 1,250,999 times
Oh I agree that there is a difference, echo, between married/engaged or single. But I also know that my habits wouldn't have been a lot different. It's all about personal preference!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs