U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-14-2011, 12:16 PM

554 posts, read 547,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bashep View Post
My dad says things were much different at Cheyenne Mountain. Money is very important down there and if you don't have it, it can be hard socially, kids can be cruel. Alot of family money.
My wife and I live in D-12 and have early elementary-age kids. We're hardcore-frugal (i.e. I won't spend $ to remodel the 35-year-old kitchen until the mortgage is paid off, hopefully w/in several years). Are there some very wealthy "old money" families in the general vicinity? Yes. Do our kids already notice? Yes. Do I care? No. Like I tell my wife, our kids are going to be competing against obnoxious rich kids who've had things handed to them on a silver-platter their whole lives. I know 'cause I've been competing against these folks my whole life. Our kids (who certainly won't have it handed to them) had better darn well get used to it b/c it doesn't end in high-school. Inherited wealth, inherited opportunity, and nepotism are simple facts of life. Not one in ten of my classmates at a fancy professional school had paid a penny of their own (mostly $30K+/yr) undergraduate educations. It is what it is and sheltering my kids from the facts of life they're bound to experience is not a goal of mine. Teaching them about the fantastic rewards of accomplishing things on their own despite the inevitable setbacks - yes.

I have no personal knowledge of Air Academy, but my wife taught junior high and high-school in some D-20 schools for several years and her (somewhat-reluctant) observation was that the kids are generally "good kids" but there can be a "group think" phenomena among kids and parents that subtly discourages things like creativity and (sorry if this is offensive) independent thought. We have lots of friends in the D-20 area and they, for whatever reason, tend to have strikingly similar opinions about things. The diversity of opinion/politics seems to be greater in the west and S/W part of town, which may be a pro or con depending on your perspective.

Hope you find a neighborhood/district where your family can thrive!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 02:16 PM

71 posts, read 90,321 times
It's a shame so many people are focused on materialism, isn't it? We live in Ohio and my husband makes a good living as a Lt. Colonel in the USAF. My daughter and I are very proud of him and I have been very fortunate to have been a stay at home mom all these years, (though not many of us actually 'stay home' all day). I believe wherever we choose my daughter will adjust. She's spunky and has a good sense of who she is. She isn't swayed by what others think of her or fitting in the crowd. She likes to think of herself as a rebel, which cracks me up because she is such a good kid, and very smart to boot. My husband and I were both raised in middle class families, who's parents did not spoil us with material possessions and we both turned into adults with good wok ethics. We do not expect things to be given to us, but realize we need to work for what we want in life. I believe many of these kids who are handed everything in life will find the real world very difficult without financial support. My husband and are are firm believers in working hard in life. People on this board, by and large, seem very down to earth, as do the people in Colorado Springs as a whole, (from my research and what I have heard from others who have either visited or lived in the area). Ohio is very much like that too, which exceptions here and there, especially in more affluent areas like our small town.

Have a great Valentine's Day everyone!

Old 03-04-2011, 11:18 AM

80 posts, read 100,435 times
Have you checked into Discovery Canyon Campus (D20)? Good performing arts program there - lots of course offerings especially for voice.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:15 PM

2 posts, read 1,054 times
Hi Ladyjag45.
I know you asked your question over a year ago, but that is all the more reason I am asking you this now. What school did you pick? The reason I ask is because we just got orders to CS. and I have been looking at Air Academy high school for my daughter. She will be in the 9th grade. I just thought if you did pick Air Academy you and your daughter would be the perfect people to get feedback from. Hope to hear from you. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs