Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 02:45 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbigboy View Post
Mike -Like you, we are retired and planning on moving to Colorado Springs as soon as we sell our home in Chicagoland...We also checked out the exact same places you did (which really amazed me) and feel about them just as you do...So we drove to Colorado Springs last November and checked it out - we liked it a lot and then drove back down again in May to check out neighborhoods etc. We checked out Canon City and were not to thrilled with it.. Found a realtor who we keep in touch with. Now on these post they are saying how bad the crime has become ..Is this something (in your opinion) now to be concerned about ?? cause I really love it there ..the air is so fresh and this has me thinking hard.
Yes, we went to all the usual retirement places, decided this was best, so here we are. Love it here.

CuriousInCt pretty much answered the question on crime, can't get a better scoop than from a Policeman's wife. I wouldn't think twice about coming here or recommending the town to you.

Speaking of fresh air, we took our house guests up Pikes Peak yesterday. It was mid-50's down here, just 10 up there at 14,115 feet, and with a wind chill of -25 degrees. Good brisk fresh air.

s/Mike

Last edited by Mike from back east; 10-08-2020 at 05:05 PM..

Old 10-21-2007, 03:09 PM

3 posts, read 15,263 times
Thank you Curious in CT. ( My Husband -hbigboy - too is a retired police officer )and I highly value your opinion ..Thanks and Mike Thank you also ...I am now excited as ever !!

Old 10-22-2007, 09:59 AM

4 posts, read 11,805 times
Default Check out the HOAs first!

Before moving here, I strongly suggest you do some checking of your own on the HOA of the communities you consider. Check the HOA website thoroughly, search Gazette.com: Home archives, google the HOA name. Realtors can't tell you what you need to know. Sellers don't disclose what they should. Several are involved in long-running and numerous lawsuits. Buyer beware! It happened to us, now we are stuck.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:29 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,780,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth-Anne View Post
Before moving here, I strongly suggest you do some checking of your own on the HOA of the communities you consider. Check the HOA website thoroughly, search Gazette.com: Home archives, google the HOA name. Realtors can't tell you what you need to know. Sellers don't disclose what they should. Several are involved in long-running and numerous lawsuits. Buyer beware! It happened to us, now we are stuck.
can you expand on that a little please. Whats the problems with YOUR HOA?

Old 10-26-2007, 12:40 PM

1 posts, read 5,049 times
Your response was classic. When people like myself write for assistance and reference, that's the kind of feed back that we're looking for, not just the fact that it was wonderfully positive, but thorough. Even though it wasn't sent to me, I found it very helpful because I too am looking at the city and all its attributes. Thankyou for a view of the city.

Old 10-28-2007, 06:46 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,872,146 times
Interesting post. Everything boils down to personal priorities. We're engaged in the same kind of search, which has largely focused East of the Mississippi due to location of family and in-laws. One thing I will say without hesitation: Never, never trust a strictly paper analysis of anywhere (i.e., Money magazine best places, etc.). We've gone to many places that rank high on those lists and hated them. One thing I learned, for example, is that there is an optimal size urban area for ME which tends to be around 100,000. Once cities get up around 200,000 or greater, congestion becomes an issue, crime starts to be an issue, neighborhoods start to diverge in quality of schools, access to surrounding nature is more difficult, etc. That's just me, no what everybody likes, and I currently live in Manhattan! Is water important to you? Lots of trees? Do you want to be in a place with a lively center around which residential areas are built or could you be happy with a neutral suburban sprawl? How important is the availability of culture, sports, nature, libraries, a university, etc.? If you are interested in a particular town or city, what is the surrounding area (within an hour) like? Is your town the only thing for miles or are there other cities, towns in vicinity that offer rewards and quality of life? How expensive is real estate, taxes, hidden costs? Will you be in a beautiful town but house poor and not be able to go on a vacation? Do you have kids?

Sometimes you only know what you want by looking around and realizing what you appreciated in a place and what turned you off. You can't do this kind of research in your head. You'll know you've found a place you can call home in the true sense only when you stepped into the place and said, "yes, this is it, I could be happy here."

In any case, thanks for your thoughful post.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:37 AM

1 posts, read 2,600 times
Has anyone moved from Southern California? If so, how do you like Colorado Springs? My husband just got out of the military and we decided to move to California to be close to my family. It's not working out for us because of the high cost of living, high population, and the materialistic attitude of many people here. There are many job opportunities for my husband there, and it looks beautiful. Can anyone give me any input?

Old 10-31-2007, 12:58 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WWMtngal View Post
Has anyone moved from Southern California? If so, how do you like Colorado Springs? My husband just got out of the military and we decided to move to California to be close to my family. It's not working out for us because of the high cost of living, high population, and the materialistic attitude of many people here. There are many job opportunities for my husband there, and it looks beautiful. Can anyone give me any input?
I moved from SoCal. Read this:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/188325-post132.html

and this

http://www.city-data.com/forum/188328-post133.html

Old 10-31-2007, 07:42 PM

3 posts, read 25,908 times
I just got to reply to this post:
We've been here for five years and mostly like it. The south end of COS is very nice, I think, but I'm partial. As for the crime, just stay away from certain areas - B street, Southgate, The area around Murray/Academy are the ones that come to mind right away.
The north end is more expensive, all the big and new developments, if you like that sort of thing but that's also coming up down here.
Roads are comparably bad here, I guess. What do you expect with 70F one day and 20 at night and 50 the next day and 10 that night all autumn/winter/spring long? Tornadoes are not really a big issue IN THE CITY, but they are once you get a few miles outside of town or out toward Fountain and are usually not very strong.

On the south end, you hear a lot of artillery fire, the train and the airport. Not extremely noisy, but bothersome on some days.

One thing I do not like - hate, absolutely hate - about the Springs is the religious super-right around here. If you don't go to church, if you don't agree with the statement "all mexicans should be deported/shot" then don't come here. We're trying to move to a more liberal place. My daughter has lost lots of friends because we don't go to church.

Manitou Springs is much nicer, much more liberal. Restores my faith in humankind, otherwise I'd have lost it long time ago.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:56 PM

51 posts, read 243,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germangirl06 View Post

One thing I do not like - hate, absolutely hate - about the Springs is the religious super-right around here.
Those mean ole Christians huh? That's a real scary bunch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs