U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-06-2006, 10:59 AM

2 posts, read 9,236 times

Advertisements

Hi Mike~

Thanks for your reply and the link. If they're doing a lot of building in the Longmont area that doesn't bode too well for us if it's going to UP the housing costs before we can get out there. Our home here needs some work before we can sell it at an acceptable price, so our time frame may hinder our being able to find something reasonable. We're working as hard as we can at our age and ability (would love to be 35 again!) to sort through our years of accumulated "stuff" and downsize to about 1/3 of what we now have. Once that's done we're going to have painters come in and do the entire house. Have already had the driveway repaved and now have contractors working in our back yard to remove (fill in) a defunct swimming pool that is not cost effective to repair. Hope we can manage to get out of here and get into something reasonable around Longmont before the prices skyrocket! We were thinking probably next spring, but perhaps we should really try to rush more (but the heat and humidity that take everything out of you are heading in fast)!?

Thanks again!
Linda & Clark

Old 04-06-2006, 10:03 PM

17,307 posts, read 24,315,460 times
Wink Here's another tip

Linda & Clark: Sounds like us a year ago...new carpet, linoleum, doors, guttering; goodbye wallpaper - hello paint; patch & mend. Busy!

Our realtor in VA lined us up with good low-cost sources for all of this work, as well as a mover. She was key to our success.

Also had to de-clutter. I've just posted another tip in OTHER on that chore. This is important.

We did all that stuff in 60 days time, then sold the house in 4 days, with 4 offers.

You can do it. Go for it!

s/Mike

Last edited by Mike from back east; 05-24-2012 at 02:59 PM..

Old 04-07-2006, 12:33 AM

653 posts, read 823,279 times
Mike,
Thank you so much for being a resource for those of us thinking of moving to Colorado Springs. My Wife and I are contemplating moving there probably next summer. Right now we live on the far west coast (Alaska). We've been here for about 20 years or so and are tired of the long winters and the isolation.

Our preliminary research indicated that the cost of living (at least housing) in Colorado Springs is less than almost any other community in Colorado Can you give me a good idea of what $200-$220k would buy in the area? What is the housing market doing right now?

Of course we're use to not paying state tax here, so that will be a bit of a culture shock. Can you give us insight into what we should expect?

Any other insider information you think would be useful would be much appreciated. Thanks. Doug

Old 04-07-2006, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills
Mike, can you give an idea what $200-$220k would buy in the area? What is the housing market doing right now? Of course we're use to not paying state tax here, so that will be a bit of a culture shock. Can you give us insight into what we should expect? Thanks. Doug
Housing market is pretty hot here. Army is adding 12,000 more troops to Fort Carson on the south side, lots of these guys want a house to live in rather than being on-post.

Right now, Removed (broken link) lists 313 homes in the $200-220k price range, and 264 of these are single family homes. Typical in this range are 3-4 bed / 2 bath / 2 car homes of 2000 sq ft, plus or minus 200 sq ft. There are tons of decent homes in the area in that price range. See my post in "other" section on tips and techniques for using Removed (broken link). Cruise the realtor site and see what you think.

FWIW, we are getting new townhouses up the street from me, for $250k, with stone counter tops, hardwoods, tile, garages, etc. Back in northern Virginia, that's $500k and up, the closer to DC, the more UP it goes. You might get a garage in the DC area for $200k.

Taxes here are fairly low compared to most states, and the first $20,000 of most pensions are exempt from state income tax. My wife and I paid $837 in Colorado income tax for the half year of 2005 that we were here, on a Gross Income of $70k. Not bad at all, and the wife isn't 55 yet, so we couldn't use that $20k exemption for her pension income.

Lastly, there a chain of furniture stores here that sell so cheaply it won't pay you to bring much of your furniture, unless it really valuable stuff. I'd say to sell it up there and buy all new when you get here. The guy is amazing and I can't recommend him highly enough, he does $350M a year in eight mega stores, is 8th largest in the nation, and he's only here in ONE state! Go to his website, Removed (broken link) and check his prices. When we saw his prices and his great furniture, we sold our old stuff, which was solid cherry by Thomasville, and got all new, did the whole house for $10k!

Everything about Colorado Springs is a SCREAMING BARGAIN for anyone with the nads to pull the trigger on a good idea and go for it.

And if you want to be outside of the city and live among nature, just use the map feature on realtor and websurf away those long winter nights in the frozen north.

Good luck to you and please let us on the list know what you decide and what you think.

s/Mike

Last edited by Yac; 04-07-2006 at 11:09 AM..

Old 04-08-2006, 01:32 PM

7 posts, read 44,637 times
Default Rental Homes

First of all...this is a WONDERFUL post! Thanks for getting it started!
We (family of four) are in the process of planning our move to Colorado Springs. My husband has a job offer in the northeast section of CS. We spent a few days there in March and drove through the Monument/Palmer Lake areas.
We are planning to rent a home for at least a year...and unfortunately, can not make it back out before the move. Which means, we have to go by what we see online. Are there any areas in Monument or Palmer Lake (or in between) we should stay away from?

Old 04-08-2006, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by INtoCOinJuly
First Are there any areas in Monument or Palmer Lake (or in between) we should stay away from?
I've never seen any areas in Monument or Palmer Lake that I'd stay away from. We are up there fairly often.

That said, I prefer the area on Baptist Road, east of I-25. They are building some very nice stuff in there, and road improvements are planned to keep the traffic moving in a reasonable fashion. Be sure to get at least a mile away from I-25 to avoid the highway noise. We rented here for six months while our new home was being built, and that house was too close to I-25 (right off of Struther's Road in the Gleneagles section, or exit 156 of I-25) and the highway noise was way too noticeable with the windows open. Our new house is well away from the noise and we love it.

There are tons of rental homes in the area.

s/Mike

Old 04-09-2006, 12:17 PM

653 posts, read 823,279 times
Mike,
Thanks again for the info. We did look at the website and we were very impressed with the selection that will be available to us. I am retired military, so it is important to us that we are able to live near a military base (ideally no more than 15-20 minutes. A pretty nice neighborhood is also important to my wife. Do you have a recommendation for what areas of town are best. I would think there is some nice housing near the AF Academy, but as I recall from my one visit to CS, it is a little ways out of town. Thanks for any suggestions.

p.s. I noticed they removed the links from your e-mail, so I didn't get the url for the furniture store. Are you allowed to just give the name. I can do a google search for it. Thanks.

Doug

Old 04-09-2006, 01:07 PM

16 posts, read 66,948 times
Exclamation Moving west, but where?...help

Am currently living in Duluth, MN and am looking at moving west. I am a rock climber and love the outdoors. The winters here and lack of sun have just worn me down. I am a single mom and would be relocating with a 9-year-old son. Can you tell me what places that direction might be good for us? Some of the things I am looking for include: diverse education opportunities for my son, much warmer climate than Duluth, rock climbing and outdoor activities close by, not much snow, lower crime rate, not hugely populated (up to 200,000), not humid (already have that in Duluth), cultural opportunities. I have visited Denver years ago, but don't remember much about the area. I have recently been to Rapid City, SD and loved it, but might be too snowy for me. Also recently been to Palm Springs towards the end of summer and would have stayed had my children not been expecting me back. I really like the dry heat, but would also like a change of seasons, and having grown up next to Lake Superior I'm not sure I can live without some water nearby. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!...and Mike are you sure you don't work for the city council or something? You're quite the salesman.

Old 04-09-2006, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverClimber2go
Am currently living in Duluth, MN and am looking at moving west. I am a rock climber and love the outdoors. The winters here and lack of sun have just worn me down. I am a single mom and would be relocating with a 9-year-old son. Can you tell me what places that direction might be good for us? Some of the things I am looking for include: diverse education opportunities for my son, much warmer climate than Duluth, rock climbing and outdoor activities close by, not much snow, lower crime rate, not hugely populated (up to 200,000), not humid (already have that in Duluth), cultural opportunities. I have visited Denver years ago, but don't remember much about the area. I have recently been to Rapid City, SD and loved it, but might be too snowy for me. Also recently been to Palm Springs towards the end of summer and would have stayed had my children not been expecting me back. I really like the dry heat, but would also like a change of seasons, and having grown up next to Lake Superior I'm not sure I can live without some water nearby. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!...and Mike are you sure you don't work for the city council or something? You're quite the salesman.
Thanks for the kind words. Weather here is great, all 4 seasons, a much milder winter than MN, what snow we get melts quickly, and it's nowhere near as hot as the desert southwest. Low humidity, few bugs, low crime. Good schools, libraries and colleges. Good healthcare providers. Plenty of jobs. There are some reservoirs nearby, and the Arkansas River has great rafting trips out near Canon City. All the things you're looking for are here, but our population is about 350,000 now and growing.

We have a lot of rock climbing, even in the city, in a public park called Garden of the Gods http://www.gardenofgods.com/ and a new park called Red Rocks Canyon, also very close by: http://outdoors.coloradosprings.com/rock/fullStory.jsp?id=2463 (broken link). Here's another source: http://www.gdargaud.net/Climbing/ColoradoClimb.html. You'll find a lot of rock climbing info in: "Rock Climbing Colorado" by Stewart M. Green.

If you like mountain hiking, summer or winter see: http://www.huts.org/index.html.

The city is full of bike/hike trails, there are Volksmarches, opportunities are almost limitless for outdoor fun, all year long.

Stay in touch and let us know how you do in your search.

s/Mike

Old 04-09-2006, 04:49 PM

16 posts, read 66,948 times
Red face MN to Colorado, hm...

Mike- Thanks for the quick reply. I was still online looking at climbing in South Dakota and happened to see you had responded. I have heard of both climbing locations you listed. We climbers tend to pass that information along quickly. It's the "buzz" with us. So, the downside of Colorado Springs that I can see are: population, housing costs, you still have some snow, and distance to activities. Although, I'm not opposed to the population size, I am just used to a city under 100,000. I have lived in the Mpls area before and had no problem with it, but I find that people tend to be in more of a hurry and the "neighborhood" feel diminishes drastically. On all of the searches I've done so far I keep coming across Provo-Orem as meeting almost all my criteria. Am not sure how I would do with the high LDS population, but I read everywhere that it makes for a much tighter-knit community, whether you are LDS or not. A friend of mine is currently in Colorado exploring the idea of moving that direction. I will have to get together with her when she gets back to see what she has to say. Thanks for the information. Hopefully I will find the right place before my house sells.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs