Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 01:43 PM

5 posts, read 6,604 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I know this have been repeatedly discussed in the past couple of years, but with recent trends in the economy, I'd like a little bit of updated information. I have a job interview tomorrow (on the phone) with a company in Colorado Springs and was wondering what the local economy looks like.

I currently live in Las Vegas and would like to know if it is possible for our family of 4 to live on 1 salary for at least a few years so my husband can stay at home with the babies.

Also, which area of town has the best schools for my soon to be kindergartener?

Thanks so much!

Laura
A soon to be transplant (hopefully)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 02:05 PM

6,822 posts, read 10,512,019 times
The economy is slow like most other places.
A family can live on a single salary if they are committed to simple living and not already wallowing in debt.
All the schools are good. I'd say find a home/neighborhood (or a few) you like first and then worry about schools - you can send your kid to any school in town if you so desire, whether you live in its boundaries or not.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:36 PM

727 posts, read 1,365,823 times
NLFrost: If you could be a bit more specific about what you're looking for, and what your expectations are, we could probably be of more assistance. As Otowi says, the economy is slow here, but compared to Las Vegas, I think we're ok, but the job market is very tight. Housing prices are probably as stable here as anywhere. Most think they'll drop a bit more, but nothing like what's happened where you are. The military is a great economic stabilizer for the area. State income taxes and local property taxes are relatively low, again, as compared to a lot of other places (e.g., Virginia, where I just moved from a few months ago). Living on one income (you don't mention what that income is) is tough anywhere, but probably as doable here as just about any place that's half way desirable to live. You don't mention your housing preferences (rent? buy? monthly payment/rent?), but a standard marker on this forum is that a decent house in Briargate (a nice suburb a few minutes drive north of downtown) can be had in the mid-200's. Check with Realtor.com or PPAR.com (the local real estate multiple listing service) to check on real estate prices. There's a lot to do here that doesn't cost a lot of money (loads of bike and hiking trails, reasonable restaurant prices, at least in comparison to my experience, a really nice local symphony with reasonably priced tickets, a AAA baseball team, again, with cheap tickets, etc. You won't find the night life you had in LV, but something tells me that's not what you're looking for anyway. Good luck with the interview, and if you get the job, welcome to CS.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:52 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,886,868 times
I moved from Las Vegas to the COS area back in March 2008 and don't reget it for a second.

The Springs area has a high unemployment number, 10% for January.

Report: Denver among fastest to recover from recession - The Denver Post

But this article is saying Denver/COS are among the fastest to recover. So perhaps the unemployment rate is lagging. Who really knows? I all I know is Colorado Springs is a great place to live with so much to do and the weather is fantastic.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:31 AM

30 posts, read 64,731 times
I'll be heading out in June and I'd like to hear about the things that people don't like. You know....the after the honeymoon phase. In a thread from 2 years ago people were talking about sand pitting windshields, rush hour to Denver and pot holes. How bad is all of this comparatively? Are the drivers worse than the New England state's drivers?
Another complaint was cold summer nights. How cold is cold? I could look up temps all day but we all know that humidity and acclimating are big considerations as to how cold it actually feels. I dream of driving to a nice look out or mountain top to do some stargazing. Will that be possible without a parka and a face mask?
And I don't want to keep it negative so what are some of the good things about Colorado Springs?

Old 03-24-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
NLFrost: If you could be a bit more specific about what you're looking for, and what your expectations are, we could probably be of more assistance
I'm looking for a slower pace of life than we can find in Las Vegas. I'm from a small town in upstate NY with 2 traffic lights. We'd be looking at a single income of around 37,000. Which, I know isn't super high, but hopefully will be enough. We are open to renting, but would love to buy something maybe on the outskirts of town or even better in a small outlying town within a 30-40 minute drive to work (which would be downtown).

Right now our rent is about 1100 a month and that is a little more than I was hoping to spend when we drop to one income. Is it possible to rent in the 800ish range for a nice 3-4 bedroom house?

Old 03-24-2011, 01:28 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,216,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlfrost View Post
I'm looking for a slower pace of life than we can find in Las Vegas. I'm from a small town in upstate NY with 2 traffic lights. We'd be looking at a single income of around 37,000. Which, I know isn't super high, but hopefully will be enough. We are open to renting, but would love to buy something maybe on the outskirts of town or even better in a small outlying town within a 30-40 minute drive to work (which would be downtown).

Right now our rent is about 1100 a month and that is a little more than I was hoping to spend when we drop to one income. Is it possible to rent in the 800ish range for a nice 3-4 bedroom house?
$37k a year is not enough to live off of one income in COS. You can rent a 2 bed/2 bath apartment for $800 but houses tend to start at $1000 and those are 2 bed. Factor in a lot of driving, food costs are 10% more and higher utility bills, you'll be lucky not to be eating Alpo with the retirees 7 nights a week. For a family of 4 to live comfortably on a single income with no debt, you'll need about 70k.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcat2k View Post
$37k a year is not enough to live off of one income in COS. You can rent a 2 bed/2 bath apartment for $800 but houses tend to start at $1000 and those are 2 bed. Factor in a lot of driving, food costs are 10% more and higher utility bills, you'll be lucky not to be eating Alpo with the retirees 7 nights a week. For a family of 4 to live comfortably on a single income with no debt, you'll need about 70k.
I was under the impression that utilities were drastically lower than in Las Vegas. We currently pay (on average) 450 a month in electric, 120 in gas, 25 in water and 25 in sewer/trash. Both kids are under 4...so they don't really add many expenses.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:13 PM

6,822 posts, read 10,512,019 times
450 for electric? 45 maybe. 120 for gas? In Dec/Jan, could be. In July, maybe 30. Water and trash in the same ball park.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:58 PM

Otowi--

That's a HUGE savings on utilities than I am used to. Thank you for confirming what I thought I had figured out from the utility's website.

I was looking on craiglist and forrent.com and it seemed like I could get a 3 bedroom townhouse/apartment or even single family rental for under a 1000. Are those in "bad" neighborhoods? (for example 112 North Corona--listed for 795 a month & [SIZE=2]Creekside At Nor'wood 7219 Little Timber Grove[/SIZE][SIZE=2]--listed for 995/month)
[/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs