U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-17-2008, 09:08 PM

421 posts, read 902,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal View Post
Not to be rude, but to put it bluntly: If you need more money, consider getting an education in something that pays better. I don't really remember any degrees in office work when I was going through school.

I came to Colorado Springs from Texas and had 3 or 4 good job offers to chose from just in the Springs. I have had great opportunities over the years, but those wouldn't have been there if I didn't make good decisions related to jobs and education to get here.

Consider going back to school for a career with more positions than there are people, such as nursing.
Well, you may not be trying to be rude but you are. You are assuming that I was speaking of me, I wasn't I was giving an example of our economy here in Colorado Springs. I have an education, thank you.
Next time, maybe you should ask a question before you offend someone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal View Post
Not to be rude, but to put it bluntly: If you need more money, consider getting an education in something that pays better. I don't really remember any degrees in office work when I was going through school.

I came to Colorado Springs from Texas and had 3 or 4 good job offers to chose from just in the Springs. I have had great opportunities over the years, but those wouldn't have been there if I didn't make good decisions related to jobs and education to get here.

Consider going back to school for a career with more positions than there are people, such as nursing.
Also, another thing I just thought of but what about the people who weren't fortunate enough to get that education when they were younger so now they have to get an "office job" to get them through while they get an education or just to feed their children?
Sometimes this is what people need to do to get further. So, making comments about getting an education is, not only obvious, but maybe something you shouldn't throw in anyone's face?

Old 02-18-2008, 05:06 AM

2,738 posts, read 4,527,818 times
Well, I think everyone can agree that the white collar sector is getting a little thin when it comes to jobs. You know, if I had the money, i'd go to law school to become a water rights attorney. You have any idea what those guys are making in Colorado right now?

Old 02-18-2008, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
Well, I think everyone can agree that the white collar sector is getting a little thin when it comes to jobs. You know, if I had the money, i'd go to law school to become a water rights attorney. You have any idea what those guys are making in Colorado right now?
I'm sure more than we are...

Old 02-18-2008, 04:35 PM

There was just a huge payment for water rights somewhere along the front range, that totaled 800 Million dollars, and the lawyers cut? About 10% of that

Old 02-18-2008, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
There was just a huge payment for water rights somewhere along the front range, that totaled 800 Million dollars, and the lawyers cut? About 10% of that
Wow, maybe I should look into Law School instead of staying a Paralegal?

Old 02-18-2008, 05:29 PM

yeah for real, for that kinda money!

Old 02-19-2008, 06:45 AM

268 posts, read 784,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I've noticed paramedics and firefighters seem to drive bigger heavier cars and trucks.

Small cars can be deadly - World Auto News & Reviews
I've been reading and hearing alot about that lately. I take that with a grain of salt. While living in Germany I saw safety footage of a Smart Car (the tiny little roller skate car) hitting a jersey barrier at 70 km/h. The driver got out and walked away.

Also auto safety isn't just about a car withstanding an accident. It's about the vehicle and driver being able to avoid the accident. That requires a combination of a nimble car and a driver who is paying attention to the road. You can't avoid them all, but I've lived in some places with very bad drivers and have been able to avoid any accidents so far *knocks on wood*.

Nothing against whoever wants a big vehicle. Many people need them to do a job. I get a little annoyed at the hummers, but those are pretty much just big overpriced gas guzzlers with no real use other than to prove you are going through a mid-life crisis or are compensating for other things.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:55 AM

268 posts, read 784,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soontob View Post
Well, you may not be trying to be rude but you are. You are assuming that I was speaking of me, I wasn't I was giving an example of our economy here in Colorado Springs. I have an education, thank you.
Next time, maybe you should ask a question before you offend someone.
I didn't say get an education. I said get an education in something that pays better. I started to elaborate in my previous post but deleted it to keep the post short.

Having an education doesn't really mean much. You need to have a skill that is needed. If you have the same skill as millions of others, there is no need for an employer to pay you well. If you leave there will be someone else to come take your place. Alot of the little rich kids from my high school got business degrees from the big state school. They are all servers at chili's or something of the like now. My degree is in engineering. I work in my career field and am blessed to have a great job.

For your second post, if you are using the "office job" as a stepping stone, good on you. Please leave the complaining at the door, however. As for the people who didn't get an education and have to support kids now, well there are consequences (good and bad) for every decision made. If you don't have a college degree in a needed area or some technical skill that is in demand then you shouldn't expect to make tons of money.

Basically, I'm tired of hearing people complain about the economy and how they don't have any money when they really aren't doing all that bad. If you can't afford a brand new car and starbucks everyday, don't expect to be able to buy them. Our society is becoming to much of an entitlement society, much like Europe. You don't deserve anything you haven't earned. The idea that you should have a high paying job just because you are alive or want one is absurd. If you want that high paying job, make adjustments in your life and go get it. If you are happy in your current occupation, then adjust your expenditures to meet your income.

I do come off as rude, but you have to learn to live with what you have now. Complaining only makes you feel worse about life. Be happy and live with what you have.

Old 02-19-2008, 04:21 PM

Amen to that. I'm not happy with what i'm making here, so hence, i've decided to pack up and leave Ohio for COS, where i've been offered several high paying jobs in my field. I agree with what you said Postal. If you're not happy with your life, then change something. Don't just sit there and ***** about it, half expecting things to just fall in your lap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs