Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2008, 06:16 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,271,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal View Post
I didn't say get an education. I said get an education in something that pays better. I started to elaborate in my previous post but deleted it to keep the post short.

Having an education doesn't really mean much. You need to have a skill that is needed. If you have the same skill as millions of others, there is no need for an employer to pay you well. If you leave there will be someone else to come take your place. Alot of the little rich kids from my high school got business degrees from the big state school. They are all servers at chili's or something of the like now. My degree is in engineering. I work in my career field and am blessed to have a great job.

For your second post, if you are using the "office job" as a stepping stone, good on you. Please leave the complaining at the door, however. As for the people who didn't get an education and have to support kids now, well there are consequences (good and bad) for every decision made. If you don't have a college degree in a needed area or some technical skill that is in demand then you shouldn't expect to make tons of money.

Basically, I'm tired of hearing people complain about the economy and how they don't have any money when they really aren't doing all that bad. If you can't afford a brand new car and starbucks everyday, don't expect to be able to buy them. Our society is becoming to much of an entitlement society, much like Europe. You don't deserve anything you haven't earned. The idea that you should have a high paying job just because you are alive or want one is absurd. If you want that high paying job, make adjustments in your life and go get it. If you are happy in your current occupation, then adjust your expenditures to meet your income.

I do come off as rude, but you have to learn to live with what you have now. Complaining only makes you feel worse about life. Be happy and live with what you have.

Amen!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 10:21 AM

268 posts, read 1,129,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
Amen to that. I'm not happy with what i'm making here, so hence, i've decided to pack up and leave Ohio for COS, where i've been offered several high paying jobs in my field. I agree with what you said Postal. If you're not happy with your life, then change something. Don't just sit there and ***** about it, half expecting things to just fall in your lap.
I'm with you there. My frustration wasn't with the pay, though. I learned the lesson a few years ago that it doesn't matter if you keep up with the Jones, it only matters that you are happy. I love my career field, but I hated my job. I quit and moved to COS for a better job. My life is alot better now.

Old 02-23-2008, 02:17 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,271,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolColoradoDayz View Post
Thanks Mes3fils. As far as Academy goes, it's the back bone of CS. It is the corridor in which the city was built around. When I was a kid most of Academy was empty, particularly North of Constitution. It blows my mind, how much of this city that I have seen built in my life. The problem with Academy is that it became one of the main routes through the city, which lead to conjestion. Then the city planners made the stupid mistake of making Academy II, a.k.a. Powers. So right now they have fallen into the same trap in developing Powers. I personally feel that they would have been better off building a freeway with on and off ramps to get to the cross roads and business. The Texas highway frontage road system would have been perfect for Powers. Charles is right, Marksheffel is the next Academy (III). There has been no indication that they are going to do anything different with that road. I just thought of another negative about CS, lack of an east/west freeway passage. The only one you have is MLK in the south, but nothing in the central or northern part of town.

As far as Carabba's and Dunkin Donuts go, yes we have them. I know of two Carabba's and two Dunkin Donuts (as they have closed several, we use to have four at least).

Yeah Colorado Springs has grown into a mini metro region, so they did make a mistake on the way they made Powers. It's starting to resemble Academy with a more "modern" look to it. I'm really hoping they don't do the same with Marksheffel. They definitely need to connect Hwy 24 to where it meets MLK without stoplights. I still wonder what the problem CDOT has for building another freeway or loop encircling the city. There's a way they can do it so it doesn't interfere with asthetics. Colorado Springs is only going to get bigger. Why wait?

Old 02-23-2008, 03:27 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,376,177 times
You're guess is as good as mine c2h. Ive never understood why they don't build one. It's rediculous that it takes me alomst 45 minutes to get from north 33rd st, to the airport.

Old 02-23-2008, 05:50 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post
Yeah Colorado Springs has grown into a mini metro region, so they did make a mistake on the way they made Powers. It's starting to resemble Academy with a more "modern" look to it. I'm really hoping they don't do the same with Marksheffel. They definitely need to connect Hwy 24 to where it meets MLK without stoplights. I still wonder what the problem CDOT has for building another freeway or loop encircling the city. There's a way they can do it so it doesn't interfere with asthetics. Colorado Springs is only going to get bigger. Why wait?

There is a plan.

Colorado Springs toll road gains momentum | Colorado Springs Business Journal | Find Articles at BNET.com

Plan rings eastern Springs in toll roads - The Denver Post

Colorado Mulls Privately-Funded Toll Road | Planetizen

http://tollroadsnews.info/artman/publish/article_1460.shtml (broken link)

Old 02-23-2008, 06:13 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,376,177 times
Holy ashphalt Batman!! Glad to see it will pay for itself in ..............40 years?!??!

Old 02-28-2008, 01:14 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
A little exaggerated, a little harsh but true. Sure, there are brainwashed religious people here but their activities aren't enough to make me want to move. I take them about as seriously as someone who believes in Santa Claus. So they're delusional but they really aren't hurting anyone. I have compassion for the mentally ill.
So, if I profess a belief in God will I be considered mentally ill? Or do I have to be a practicing Christian to qualify? BTW, I know Santa exists because I was him for 27 years until my last kid was grown...

Old 02-28-2008, 02:57 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times
Maybe I could qualify for SSD for being delusional? I could always use the extra income!

Old 03-04-2008, 12:10 PM

14 posts, read 48,804 times
There is no such thing as perfect city. I grew up on Long Island (which I would never move back to), lived in Buffalo, Cincinnati / Northern KY, and now Milwaukee.

We've been researching Colorado Springs online for months and we were just out there last week. I can buy a similar size / age house that I have now, which is in a "typical Milwaukee" suburb, for about $90K less in Colorado Springs with property taxes about 1/4th of what we pay now.

Wisconsin is a 'tax hell' state. We may nearly as much in property taxes for a 1/3 acre, 35 miles outside of downtown Milwaukee than my parents do in property taxes in the NYC area.

Colorado Springs is closer to Denver than Milwaukee is to Chicago. It took us less than 50 minutes to drive from the USAFA to downtown Denver. My husband has a 50 minute commute now from where we are to downtown Milwaukee and it's only 35 miles.

I am amazed at all the people who say there is nothing to do. If you don't like being outside, well then, yea, I suppose there will be limitations on stuff to do, but my daughter (7) was thrilled when she realized she could ride her bike nearly all year long... versus Milwaukee, where subzero temps are not uncommon for 4 months in the winter.

It gets so dangerously cold here that you can't even go out and enjoy the winter.

I have my own business and work from home, so jobs are not an issue for me, but my husband has been interviewing out there, in his field, and the pay is pretty similar to what he earns here. Every industry is going to be different and vary from state to state based on the economy of that region.

Quote:
Sure, there are brainwashed religious people here but their activities aren't enough to make me want to move
There are extremes of people everywhere. Not once did we see anyone passing out bibles or leaflets on any street corners. (yes, an exageration)

We had a great time at Focus on the Family. If it's not something you believe in, then don't go.

Quote:
I learned the lesson a few years ago that it doesn't matter if you keep up with the Jones, it only matters that you are happy
Exactly!

Old 03-04-2008, 03:59 PM

421 posts, read 1,337,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyGale View Post
There is no such thing as perfect city. I grew up on Long Island (which I would never move back to), lived in Buffalo, Cincinnati / Northern KY, and now Milwaukee.

We've been researching Colorado Springs online for months and we were just out there last week. I can buy a similar size / age house that I have now, which is in a "typical Milwaukee" suburb, for about $90K less in Colorado Springs with property taxes about 1/4th of what we pay now.

Wisconsin is a 'tax hell' state. We may nearly as much in property taxes for a 1/3 acre, 35 miles outside of downtown Milwaukee than my parents do in property taxes in the NYC area.

Colorado Springs is closer to Denver than Milwaukee is to Chicago. It took us less than 50 minutes to drive from the USAFA to downtown Denver. My husband has a 50 minute commute now from where we are to downtown Milwaukee and it's only 35 miles.

I am amazed at all the people who say there is nothing to do. If you don't like being outside, well then, yea, I suppose there will be limitations on stuff to do, but my daughter (7) was thrilled when she realized she could ride her bike nearly all year long... versus Milwaukee, where subzero temps are not uncommon for 4 months in the winter.

It gets so dangerously cold here that you can't even go out and enjoy the winter.

I have my own business and work from home, so jobs are not an issue for me, but my husband has been interviewing out there, in his field, and the pay is pretty similar to what he earns here. Every industry is going to be different and vary from state to state based on the economy of that region.

There are extremes of people everywhere. Not once did we see anyone passing out bibles or leaflets on any street corners. (yes, an exageration)

We had a great time at Focus on the Family. If it's not something you believe in, then don't go.

Exactly!
Great Post.
Except, "ride their bikes almost all year long?" I don't agree with that. Yes, sometimes we will get a nice day in the winter months, which can last 7 months, but not always, not too mention that people will tell you the snow melts the very next day, that also is not always true.
I am a mother of two and they wouldn't ride their bikes much if at all during the winter months here. Colorado Springs is also very windy at times, it can blow you over. So even if it's sunny out it may be too cold to ride a bike.
Just FYI for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs