U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2011, 10:19 PM

40 posts, read 73,007 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm looking for some feedback on D38 (Monument) schools and what is anticipated next year to happen with the state budget cuts. Here's a little information on us. We currently live in Douglas County, South Parker. We moved here a year ago from out of state. Unfortunately, we're not overly impressed with Douglas County schools due to the ever increasing class size (currently 26 kids in my daughters K class with no aid) and 28 in my sons second grade class. Next years class sizes are expected to be even bigger with less support staff.

My husband and I are both home based for work with me not travelling for work and him travelling 3 weeks of the month so he'll need to commute to DIA and he covers Denver/Colorado Springs the other week of the month and visits customers a few days all over the metro area.

Our reasons for looking at Monument are for schools and also bigger lots available (looking for min of around one acre). I've called the Monument elementary schools (will also have a son in K next year) and the class sizes are SO much better than what we have here. I dont' want to uproot the family if locals have information that things will change. I see that the district is highly rated and currently the class sizes are good 30-40% smaller than what we have.

I also am hoping the Monument will have more of a sense of community that what we've seen in Parker. Parker is SO big that we have found it difficult to feel a real sense of community.

Any input or suggestions would be well appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 06:59 AM

71 posts, read 161,406 times
Our family is moving to Monument this summer. It doesn't sound as if you have seen the area yet. If not, I think you will really like it, based on what you stated. It is a small town with larger lots. We originally wanted 5 acres, but ended up finding the perfect home on a little less than an acre in Woodmoor. We got a really nice feeling about the area. In fact, Monument was the farthest area we looked at for my husband;s work commute, but we liked it so much we bought a house. I have spoken to several employees from District 38 and they have been exceptionally nice and helpful. The high school, which is what I was most interested in, ranks very well. I can't tell you much else, other than to say it seems a good fit for our family. We liked the small town feel. It is a bedroom community, so don't expect too many businesses, though Monument did get a new Super Wal Mart recently. There are trees splattered around, which we really liked. I'm not a huge fan of brown.

Good luck to you and your family

Old 05-10-2011, 08:17 AM

I have driven around the area, it's beautiful.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:38 AM

1,207 posts, read 4,147,372 times
Our daughter started at Prarie Winds Elementary. It's a beautiful facility, but with budget constraints resulting in personnel reductions. 2 Years ago, her 4th grade class was going to be around 32 kids. They had basically taken 3 classes and combined them into 2. So before the start of the year we moved her to Monument Academy. I believe the class size is limited to 25 at MA. We have been very satisfied with MA. I have heard the district-wide school populations are decreasing, so the class sizes are coming back down. There was also a school closing and district 'realignment' a couple of years ago, with the middle schools combined into one, and Creekside MS turned into an elementary, which I think has been a positive move.
The district is still one of the highest rated in the state, but IMHO that is influenced more by the affluence of the area's population.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:50 AM

vfr, thanks for the feedback, that's exactly what I am looking for. I called Prairie Winds yesterday and was told 17 for K, 18-20 for 1st grade and 21 for 3rd based on current enrollment this year. Quite different than 32~

Old 05-10-2011, 09:38 AM

One of the neighbors told me that the class sizes are coming down at PW because of dwindling enrollment, which makes her kind of nervous about school closure. If it ain't one thing it's another. She still has 2 kids there. Whatever happens, I still believe District 38 will still be one of the best in the state.
btw> we live about a mile away from PW in Woodmoor and really recommend looking around this area. I have to pinch myself sometimes, especially this time of year, cause I can't believe how beautiful the area is

Old 05-10-2011, 01:48 PM

Vfpilot, Could the dwindling population in the lower grades have to do with an older average age of the residents in Monument? When we looked in the area, it seemed many of the homes we looked at did not have young children, unlike other areas south.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyjag45 View Post
Vfpilot, Could the dwindling population in the lower grades have to do with an older average age of the residents in Monument? When we looked in the area, it seemed many of the homes we looked at did not have young children, unlike other areas south.
I can only speak from my limited prospective. Our neighborhood seems very stable and a lot are empty nesters or retired. Maybe it's because Woodmoor is an older development and most of the folks have been there for a while. We have friends in Jackson Creek(south Monument), and their neighborhood has a much higher percentage of families with kids. I guess that is probably true for ANY newer development. The economy has also slowed any new building and the addition of families that would be upgrading from other areas.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:22 PM

We bought a home in Woodmoor as well, but looked in other areas in Monument. We originally wanted a home on more land, but found a happy medium. We are an Air Force family and I also noticed a lot of retired military in the area. That may be us too if we decide to stay after my husband retires. That's the plan right now. We really liked the area. I can't wait to get there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs