Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 02:37 PM

346 posts, read 549,096 times

Advertisements

I just talked to the transportation department at D49 and I am LIVID. I had resigned myself to paying $372 per child for bus service but they just released the list of stop locations for the 2011-2012 school year and there isn't a single bus stop for Falcon Middle or High School near our home in Woodmen Hills. We live at the north end on the golf course and the closest bus stop is at Woodmen Hills Elementary which is a 30 minute walk away. We were assured at the public meetings about this whole issue that we'd be taken care of and that the kids may have a slightly longer walk but bus service would still be offered.

I love living here in Falcon but I don't think we'll be staying here long term now. (In fact, I'll be contacting my landlord today to see how much it will cost to buy out our lease.) The open space out here great - until you build schools out in the middle of nowhere and then offer no way for kids to get to those schools. (D49 may have found a way to deal with their steadily increasing enrollment...think it was part of their plan?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 04:24 PM

930 posts, read 1,653,895 times
Do you think there are enough parents who are in your situation that you could get something changed? That sounds really ridiculous.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:29 AM

1 posts, read 2,373 times
Default BOE doesn't care...

Board doesn't care. This isn't about the students. It's about payback for not passing their bond....They will use this to try and justify a mill levy...watch your back!

Old 05-21-2011, 12:07 PM

7,179 posts, read 9,306,900 times
Interesting. I just talked to my neighbor who is a realtor. He said he is now having difficulty selling houses in D49 because of the school situation.

If people won't support the schools it impacts the demand for their houses when it comes time to sell.

Old 05-21-2011, 06:27 PM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unhappyd49er View Post
Board doesn't care. This isn't about the students. It's about payback for not passing their bond....They will use this to try and justify a mill levy...watch your back!
Well, is it about "payback", or is it a genuine funding question?

Old 05-21-2011, 09:10 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Well, is it about "payback", or is it a genuine funding question?
I understand the state cut $4M our of the funds that normally would've gone to D49 which is the alleged genesis of the bus issue.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-22-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Interesting. I just talked to my neighbor who is a realtor. He said he is now having difficulty selling houses in D49 because of the school situation.

If people won't support the schools it impacts the demand for their houses when it comes time to sell.
I'm not surprised. We are planning to settle permanently in this area and had planned to buy a house when our lease is over next year; we'd been looking at Banning Lewis and Meridian Ranch since we really love it out here. Thanks to the whole busing issue we have started looking in town instead at Grey Hawk Estates, Flying Horse and other developments in District 20.

I figured we couldn't be the only ones being driven out of Falcon by this whole mess. I feel so badly for all my neighbours out here trying to sell their houses!

As I said, I was willing to pay almost $1100 for the 3 kids for bus service if necessary but the circuit busing with no convenient stops near two of the largest housing developments (the north part of Woodmen Hills and Meridian Ranch) out here makes absolutely no sense to me. Add to that the fact that no one was interested in my concerns when I called the transportation department - all I got was a repeated, "The board made the decision and it's final." - and the lack of involvement at the school level (the lady in the office at Falcon Middle School didn't even know the bus stop list was out a week after it was posted on the D49 website and she wasn't at all interested in the potential impact on students) and I'm done. We'll be pulling our kids out of D 49 as soon as we can.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:23 PM

65 posts, read 268,588 times
I can see your frustration on that. However, District 20 will eventually be cutting back on bus service...not eliminating, but most likely fees and fewer pickup and drop spots.
For what it's worth, I have heard that busing in many of the local districts will be changing over the next few years.
This may not be entirely a D49 thing....or it might...we'll see how state budget issues play out, but I wouldn't pick a long-term home purchase on the basis of whether the school provides rides to school; that can change in a heartbeat even in D20.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rksinco View Post
I can see your frustration on that. However, District 20 will eventually be cutting back on bus service...not eliminating, but most likely fees and fewer pickup and drop spots.
For what it's worth, I have heard that busing in many of the local districts will be changing over the next few years.
This may not be entirely a D49 thing....or it might...we'll see how state budget issues play out, but I wouldn't pick a long-term home purchase on the basis of whether the school provides rides to school; that can change in a heartbeat even in D20.
I have a feeling schools everywhere will have to start charging for bus service (that was the case in Hawaii when we lived there, though it wasn't $1 a ride). Our long term home purchase won't be in D49 primarily because of the way the bus issue was handled by the school board (i.e., the initial meeting eliminating the transportation department was held with almost no notice (we parents only found about it from notes sent home by the bus drivers), the constant delays on the contracting vs. fees with no subsidy decision and way they released the absolutely ridiculous bus stop list without anyone knowing about it or requesting parent input, etc.) Since Falcon is a very rural, big area the D49 schools are more spread out and far apart than in town schools and serve a larger area, which means bus service is a more critical issue. The new bus stop locations totally ignore two of the biggest housing developments out here (even though they pick up at the other end of Meridian Ranch Rd), and sadly, that is pretty typical of the sort of decisions I have seen from the D49 board. So many districts (including Woodland Park) have privatized with little to no adverse impact on the kids; the same could have been done here. The D49 schools have been great and my kids have done well in them. Unfortunately, I've had it with the way the school board does business.

There may be future changes in how bus service exists in other districts, including D20, and I understand the need for fees. Most importantly, from the research I've done, the other "good" school districts don't have the same controversy regarding how they do business as D49. I'm willing to pay a bit more for a house in town in order to leave the drama (and my kids' 1 1/2 mile walk to a bus stop) behind.

Old 05-28-2011, 06:52 AM

65 posts, read 268,588 times
Well stated. That makes sense.
We actually live in Meridian Ranch, but my wife drives our son to school, as do most of the friends we know, so we're a bit out of the loop on how it all went down on that.
Thanks for clarifying that though. Good luck to you guys on the new house!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs