Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 12:26 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera32 View Post
....snip...BTW Mike, since our backgrounds are similar, you're already old and gray, as am I (but NOT dead yet). Just kidding.
LOL. I'll be amazed if either of two things happen:
- I live enough more decades to see BLR become a sea of 50,000+ homes, or
- The city manages to grow that much in the 15-20 years I probably have left.

Until then, I'm sure gonna enjoy the heck out of this place, and I know you will too.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 07:05 AM

3 posts, read 4,460 times
I thank you all for the info...good stuff, and I'm already using it to expand my search around town for a good place to live.

Got another question though,...kinda off the wall: Where are some good places to go around the Springs (or Denver, for that matter) to follow my muscle car hobby? I'm a huge fan of the old classics (Chargers, GTOs, etc.) and expect to have a project car of my own in the garage in a few years. I'm aware that the altitude kinda saps horsepower a bit, but a good tune can compensate.. .anywhere around town that works on the old ones?

Thanks...I know that question is kinda out of left field...

Last edited by Mike from back east; 05-28-2011 at 10:17 AM..

Old 05-28-2011, 11:00 AM

727 posts, read 1,366,318 times
Warhorse - I'm more of a sports car guy, but I also love the American muscle. Last week I went to a big car show in Canon City, about 35 miles southwest of CS. Much more extensive than I would have thought, with plenty of muscle. Also, there's a big hot rod show in Denver in late fall each year at the Convention Center. Because it was indoors, I thought it would be one of those World of Wheels traveling shows, but this one was primarily local Denver area clubs. One of the best shows I've been to in years for hot rods and muscle. It appears that there is a thriving hot rod industry in the Denver area, with plenty of clubs, shops, painters, etc. I've only been in CS for a few months, so I'm not totally hooked into the local car scene, but my guess is there's a fair amount of activity here and possibly Pueblo, as well. You're right about the altitude affecting horsepower; the folks in my sports car club claim it's about 3%/1000 feet of altitude. So, for Colorado Springs, that's about a 20% decrease in horsepower. For a big block muscle car, that's probably no big deal, but with my little 3.2 liter 214 hp engine, it's noticeable. The great twisty mountain roads make up for it, though. Hope this helps a bit. If I hear of more activity, I'll post it.

Old 05-28-2011, 01:26 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera32 View Post
You're right about the altitude affecting horsepower; the folks in my sports car club claim it's about 3%/1000 feet of altitude. So, for Colorado Springs, that's about a 20% decrease in horsepower. For a big block muscle car, that's probably no big deal, but with my little 3.2 liter 214 hp engine, it's noticeable.
It has the same effect on the big blocks. The altitude plays no favorites! If you know your staying high you can bump the compression up to make up for it some.

Old 05-28-2011, 01:29 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Doesn't fuel injection work to lessen the effects of altitude by adjusting the air/fuel mix? IIRC that was stated in another thread on here.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-28-2011, 04:33 PM

727 posts, read 1,366,318 times
My understanding of the fuel injection system on my cars is that it does adjust the fuel/air mixture so that they run well, but there's still a significant diminution in power. I feel it in both my Toyota 4-Runner (also fuel injected) and my sports car.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:07 AM

21 posts, read 44,072 times
I have heard that Co Springs is considered more desert like than Denver..or would Pueblo be drier? Which gets more snow of the two, Colorado Springs or Pueblo?

Old 06-05-2011, 07:15 AM

21 posts, read 44,072 times
Hollyt00, Im retired but my husband still works, do you know of any RV parks that are in or around Co Springs area for "Over 55" folks? Moving from Arkansas later this year and want to find a good spot to sit a spell and enjoy the scenery.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:32 PM

930 posts, read 1,654,760 times
I do not know of anything that is specific for over-55, but there are tons of RV parks in the area off of US-24, and there are some that are off of Colorado Ave which turns into Manitou Ave. My father in law stayed at one off of 26th Street and US-24 and seemed to be pleased.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:39 PM

4 posts, read 5,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum13 View Post
I was worried as I had seen some other comments about the city being filled with close-minded people and it made me concerned as I liked all the other comments and descriptions of the city. I can't wait to move there!
I'm thinking of moving to CO. and saw your post beachbum. Is Denver and other cities full of closed-minded people and is that being unfriendly or set in their ways or religious or what do you really mean about being close minded and why would that worry you if you don't mind me asking.
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs