U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 02:52 PM

583 posts, read 1,301,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Yes, D20 seems well funded, but D49 has a long history of voting NO on bond issues to build schools. There's a thread on here about a mom who's furious at having to pay a lot for school bus services for her kids and says she's moving to D20.

BTW, I'm one of those who never put any kids in any school system and have always paid my property taxes to support them, without whining. When the girls from the local high school band boosters knock on my door each summer, I always let them twist my arm for a c-note.

There is more than a grain of truth to what Rambler says, she points out the hypocrisy that's rampant in our nation, i.e., spending for things "I" approve of is okay, but spending for things "YOU" approve of just a big waste and fraud.
D49 has a long history of problems relating to money. Voters don't trust them...no trust, no money!

This also applies to government in general...lack of trust.

Lastly, there's more to giving back than just $$$. Many, including myself, also donate time. Anyone who doesn't have the money to donate, can surely spare a few hours a week to help make their community a better place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 02:20 PM

5 posts, read 5,197 times
I don't think that people realize that if you are high maintenance you have to to have the money to cover it. I was always told growing up that you get what you pay for.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:54 AM

1,627 posts, read 3,621,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaul View Post
if it were privatized to where there was actually competition for the best bang for the buck it wouldn't be a problem at all. gov is the problem, not the solution, no matter how high they tax people.
Because when the schools are privatized, poor families can continue in poverty as they can't afford quality education.

Because when the fire department is privatized, it's tough luck if you can't afford to keep your house from burning down. Hopefully you could afford insurance.

Because when the libraries are privatized, there won't be any more libraries, as we have bookstores for that...and EVERYONE can afford to have the internet anyway...so long as they have as little choice as possible as to who is providing it.

Because when the roads are privatized, the wealthy will be able to get wherever they want to go, while those who can't afford it will just have to pull themselves up by the bootstraps and find a better job elsewhere!...except they won't be allowed to go elsewhere...

Why don't people see the disconnect? Why can't people see that we are living in a time of lower taxes than ever before in our history? Why do people believe that government is ALWAYS the problem and the private industry ALWAYS has our best interests mind (rather than the best interests of their shareholders, regardless of how it affects the place YOU want to live in?)

Frankly I think some people just like to gripe.

In spite of all of our problems, I think we've got it relatively lucky so far here in Colorado.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:07 PM

808 posts, read 1,176,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkonami View Post
...the private industry ALWAYS has our best interests mind (rather than the best interests of their shareholders...)
If only they actually DID have the best interests of their shareholders in mind. That's the theory, but the practice so often seems to be very different. For the last several decades, it's been more about the compensation packages of upper management than long-term shareholder value. This is normal human behavior. For several decades there it seemed there were a few checks and balances on the natural "apres moi, le deluge" inclination, but that foolishness is over now and its back to pure "I got mine" jungle warfare out there. Just gotta accept it and make the best of it.

In the meantime, appreciate the little things, like a neighborhood pothole that actually gets filled.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:05 PM

310 posts, read 1,061,422 times
This may be out of order here because I didn't bother to read the last 30 or so comments to the original post, but the topic is rich!

Go to Denver. There is a big city feel there. (translated many tall buildings, a sea of concrete/asphalt and TONS of parks and GOVERNMENT RUN things like the bridges and pathways and millions of beautiful streets and neighborhoods but of course there has to be crowded areas and slums and crowding here and there.)

The Springs? It feels like someone just took Woodland Park and just multiplied it by 25.

The people here wanted something DIFFERENT than Denver. Shoot, you want Denver? Go there.

But the people of Colorado Springs wanted to be homesteaders. So the taxes are low and yeah, the streets and parks suck.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:08 AM

7 posts, read 12,559 times
Keep the taxes low. They already get the money they need. I would rather have my money to spend it as I please that the governments (local or federal) waste it. I am sure there are programs that can be cut to spend an lavish parks and such.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:28 AM

5,011 posts, read 6,691,539 times
Budget/tax stuff does contribute to the lower quality of some of our roads, but it isn't just that. Colorado weather is about the worst if not the worst in the lower 48 for road maintenance. We have a freeze/thaw cycle most other states don't even get close to that quickly tears roads apart, as well as many other unique issues. So even if we have the same budget for roads as some other state, the quality will be less because maintenance is simply much more expensive here than many other states.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:52 AM

1,167 posts, read 2,143,492 times
But Co Springs has some of the worst roads in the state compared to other cities (Denver, Boulder, FoCo, Pueblo) who have almost the exact same weather. In the end it comes down to funding street maintenance, which the Springs doesn't want to pay for.

Old 07-14-2011, 05:43 PM

18,955 posts, read 8,893,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Userdavey View Post
This may be out of order here because I didn't bother to read the last 30 or so comments to the original post, but the topic is rich!

Go to Denver. There is a big city feel there. (translated many tall buildings, a sea of concrete/asphalt and TONS of parks and GOVERNMENT RUN things like the bridges and pathways and millions of beautiful streets and neighborhoods but of course there has to be crowded areas and slums and crowding here and there.)

The Springs? It feels like someone just took Woodland Park and just multiplied it by 25.

The people here wanted something DIFFERENT than Denver. Shoot, you want Denver? Go there.

But the people of Colorado Springs wanted to be homesteaders. So the taxes are low and yeah, the streets and parks suck.
I agree with you in regard to -- if you want Denver, go to Denver.

I don't agree with you about the parks here. You have more, and they're more decent, than in most places I've lived.

Old 07-14-2011, 05:45 PM

18,955 posts, read 8,893,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Budget/tax stuff does contribute to the lower quality of some of our roads, but it isn't just that. Colorado weather is about the worst if not the worst in the lower 48 for road maintenance. We have a freeze/thaw cycle most other states don't even get close to that quickly tears roads apart, as well as many other unique issues. So even if we have the same budget for roads as some other state, the quality will be less because maintenance is simply much more expensive here than many other states.
Otowi...why do you think COS is any worse of than many places in NYS, PA, MD, VA, OH, IND, ILL, and most of the other mountain states (excluding Arizona and New Mexico, and southern California.

I'll believe that when you show me some evidence that we're the worst in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs