Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 08:15 AM

17 posts, read 56,754 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Colorado Springs and am interested in finding a church to join in the area.

I originally had no concerns about this, but from reading forum posts I'm starting to be concerned that I won't be able to find a "non-fundamentalist" church.
My current church is very liberal (i.e. we have a LGBT service on Sunday afternoons and our pastor preaches from a bar stool wearing jeans) and I fear that the traditions of churches in Co Springs will be far more conservative.

I'm trying to convince myself that the churches I hear about there are simply the most "vocal," but does anyone know of any churches that are less conservative where I would fit in?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 09:31 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandchocolate View Post
I'm moving to Colorado Springs and am interested in finding a church to join in the area.

I originally had no concerns about this, but from reading forum posts I'm starting to be concerned that I won't be able to find a "non-fundamentalist" church.
My current church is very liberal (i.e. we have a LGBT service on Sunday afternoons and our pastor preaches from a bar stool wearing jeans) and I fear that the traditions of churches in Co Springs will be far more conservative.

I'm trying to convince myself that the churches I hear about there are simply the most "vocal," but does anyone know of any churches that are less conservative where I would fit in?

Thanks!
There are plenty of churches here for every viewpoint. I'd google the topic while waiting for input here.

Try the High Plains Church for starter.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 06-15-2011 at 09:50 AM..

Old 06-15-2011, 09:47 AM

50,796 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Mu current church -- it's Methodist -- seems pretty middle of the road.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:50 AM

310 posts, read 1,246,363 times
I can recommend Calvary Worship Center on Castle Rd. The pastor, Al Pittman, is phenomenal and although he is a tad conservative, he really puts on a powerful show.

Another is Woodmen Valley Chapel. Matt Heard is the man there and he too might be a little conservative but again I always like the sermons.

Fellowship Bible church on North Nevada is probably more liberal. I think they wear just jeans etc.

Colorado Springs is pretty conservative on the whole, so the big nice churches are going to be more conservative and the liberal ones tend to be the smaller, not as fancy, and under funded.

Good luck.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:58 PM

641 posts, read 2,276,714 times
Rocky Mountain Calvary right off Academy and Austin Bluffs is also very good. Very modern, contemporary music, young pastor. Attended with a friend and really enjoyed it.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:51 PM

50,796 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Mu current church -- it's Methodist -- seems pretty middle of the road.
Okay, I guess we can "advertise" (so to speak). Calvary Methodist Church on Austin Bluffs. Very middle of the road and extremely welcoming.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:53 PM

53 posts, read 95,012 times
Just a thought, middle of the road is wishy-warshy, I can't stand middle of the road, I mean I am not sure why even go to church if your not all in, whether it be Judaism, Christianity or any other religion. I say go somewhere you will grow in God and stop worrying about what makes one comfortable. There is no liberal Christian, it goes against everything Christ came and died for, just had to be said.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:22 PM

6,823 posts, read 10,518,651 times
Staying to the topic: there are a huge variety of churches in this town and the vast majority would not be considered "fundamentalist".

Old 06-17-2011, 10:54 AM

17 posts, read 56,754 times
Thanks for the ideas everyone, your responses really eased my mind about this. Now I'll have lots of churches to look into once I move in!

Thanks!

Old 06-21-2011, 09:56 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,562,733 times
Bob, I think you'll have a tough time finding a really liberal (like the kind you speak that is GLBT-friendly (I think a lot of places in the Springs can't tell you what that acronym stands for)). I know in 3 years I never really found a liberal, social justice-oriented church like I had in other cities. Even downtown (which I always considered to be the liberal part of town) the churches were still pretty conservative. I'm sure there are some I didn't get to try out, but I went to quite a few different ones in my 3 years there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs