U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-22-2011, 04:26 PM

74 posts, read 94,627 times
Default Best school districts in Colorado Springs area?

My wife and I are RNs considering relocating to the C Springs area. We have 4 children ages 7 to 15. We want opinions on the best school districts in the area. We live in a district rated as "exemplary" currently.

We will be buying a house between 250k-320k. We dont mind commuting into the city and really like the look of the woodland park area. how are the schools there?
Also interested in feedback on schools in Peyton, Black Forest, Monument, and any other info you want to share is great.

If you have thoughts on commuting in the area thats great too.

We will be moving from Texas.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 10:51 AM

23 posts, read 39,574 times
No kids yet here, but as I live in Monument people seem to love the schools here.

If your an outdoors person go to Woodland Park, traffic on US24 is brutal as the weekend crowd goes to the mountains. Plus winter weather driving up US24 can change from sun to rain to ice to snow all in one trip (My sister inlaw lives up there).

Here in Monument we also have strange weather vs Springs. But then again Springs had some nasty weather roll through and I just watched it from my Deck. I would suggest renting for a year a home. From Monument we have quick access to Rampart Range by way of Mt Herman Rd, also its only 20 miles to go that way vs taking I25 & US24 to woodland park which is like 54 miles.

Black Forest covers a huge area, just right up Baptist Rd from me is Black Forest...seems nice but everything we looked at was $400K+.

Stetson Hills tends to be Military just to let you know...yards are not up kept very well. Jackson Creek area of Monument (where I live) is considered Yuppie...I've been told that by quit a few people. Even got the "oh your one of those" from a lady....I would have to agree, lots of people living in $300K homes with the $60K BMW and a $40K SUV....LOL Lots living above their means *shrug* I will say homes have gone down a lot since we moved here in 2007. Ours was valued at $320K when we bought it...although we paid $290K I believe (couple were in a nasty divorce)...I think the last statement said ours is worth $280K now is what the county claims...it was $350K (They always claim higher). I think we owe $250K now if I recall so not upside down but still probably would not get that either. Lots of rentals in my area, we have no HOA also (which is good and bad).

I probably rattled on enough...any more questions please feel free to ask.

Old 07-23-2011, 11:59 AM

74 posts, read 94,627 times
Thanks for the reply.

That commute to woodland park is a big issue for us. I just dont know how a couple from TX will handle the winter driving in the mountains.

Maybe Monument would be a good compromise and still give that qunitesential Colorado type property and mountain vibe, without the mountain commute in and and out of Springs.

I think renting for a year is a good idea..i loathe spending money on rent but it may be the wise move so we can get a better idea of where we want to land permanently.

I grew up in these "yuppy" areas like you are describing..and i admit i feel most at home in that type of setting. But I dont like being in high pressure yuppy spots where if you do NOT have the 60k sports car and a country club attitude you are treated like a lepper. We are pretty down to earth people. Is your area pretty live and let live? What is the socio-political feel? Is it mixed or very conservative or liberal?

Any and all info you would like to share is so very appreciated..I am neurotic..so no detail is considered extraneous by me : )
Thanks again.

Old 07-23-2011, 02:25 PM

2,237 posts, read 2,873,184 times
Umm, Monument may get more snow than Woodland Park, fyi. If snow is your concern, take that into account. As for Woodland Park driving, the drive up the pass barely qualifies as mountain driving - it is a major highway.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Umm, Monument may get more snow than Woodland Park, fyi. If snow is your concern, take that into account. As for Woodland Park driving, the drive up the pass barely qualifies as mountain driving - it is a major highway.
Hmmm since living here since 2007 the snow is a joke, it melts away during the hot day sun. Can it get more yeah anything in possible. My brother in-law lives in Woodland Park and they have got more then us since living there from 2008. *shrug*

I guess where in Monument depends too, we are on the south side, Baptist is the split of CO Springs and Monument Police I know. Up near Monument Hill seems to get more and I25 typically shut down going north in the winter...its amazing how 5 or so miles can make a difference...LOL

Old 07-24-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar9918 View Post
I grew up in these "yuppy" areas like you are describing..and i admit i feel most at home in that type of setting. But I dont like being in high pressure yuppy spots where if you do NOT have the 60k sports car and a country club attitude you are treated like a lepper. We are pretty down to earth people. Is your area pretty live and let live? What is the socio-political feel? Is it mixed or very conservative or liberal?

Any and all info you would like to share is so very appreciated..I am neurotic..so no detail is considered extraneous by me : )
Thanks again.

I have never had anyone in the neighborhood make a comment to me, its people that don't live here. i find it funny myself. So not like you are going to have a neighbor saying "Can you believe Bob bought a Jag, who does he think he is". So no its not that bad, I've just noticed things like we paint, then so does 5 other homes that did not even look to need it. Although no one has done a water feature int heir yard yet to copy us...so who knows.

I'm not a fan of Classic homes (the building firm) but I will say our area is nice. We are in a classic home, the builder had not installed the windows correctly...thus we are replacing them slowly with MilGard. As for safety I have left the garage open many times and not so much as a DeWalt drill missing or my motorcycle messed with. Not all the homes are Classic homes...the next sub over is a mix of builders. If you want I can jot down the phone number of a home for rent down the street, send me a PM. Some odd reason we have a ton of rentals here, although buying is very affordable right now in this market. We have lots of young children on our street...so its good for young couples.

Oh one more thing we found odd here, sq footage includes basements (in MI it did not as basement have a different cost typically much lower thus illegal for them to include that on forsale information)...not sure how TX works. So for example our home is 3,100 SQ feet...you look at it and its like that's not 3,100 sq foot home but our basement is finished. For example for us, in MI our home was like 2,100 sq foot but they did not count the 2,100 sq foot basement...LOL So in a way we downsized, for more money.

For example the builders had to leave open areas. These areas typically have swings, play forts, we have a basketball court all provided for by Tri-View (we have no HOA thus no dues), Tri-View waters the easements and takes good care of things. Our tax is $2,500 a year...for CO that is considered high (but we paid $5,300 in MI)....LOL

We have Fox Run up Baptist which is a county park free to use. There is also countless other FREE areas to use nearby. Also you got the Sante Fe Trail which is a long trail that you can ride a bike on, hike, or run on on the West side of I-25.

Do you hike, MTB ride, motorcycle ride, off-road ATV or 4x4?

Drive up 83 for 25 minutes and you have Castlewood Canyon State Park that you need to pay or have a annual pass. Very nice place to hike with the dog.

Like I said you got Mt Herman Rd which offers hiking, MTB riding, and off road usage plus FREE camping. If you like shooting people go up there to do that too.

The USAFA is right down the road, in fact we see it from our deck. We have the Thunderbirds fly over for their graduation so we get a FREE show...in fact you got to sign a paper saying you realize they fly over once a year.

Shopping is just down on Academy, but Briargate has store and restaurant too. Castlerock is 30 minutes north on I25. Denver takes me 45 minutes to get downtown Denver. DIA is an hour away. CO Springs airport I'm not sure...but you just go down 83...typically easier to leave out of DIA and typically cheaper to fly into DIA.

Another surprise no one told us about. Vehicle registrations. We bought a 2010 Ford Edge AWD Plus and to get the plate/registration cost $680. They use the wealth tax method here, more the vehicle cost they stick it to you even more. I had my mechanic tell me a Porsche 911 will run you $5K a year. The DMV lady said an F150 will run you $1,000 a year...it comes down slowly as the vehicle ages but when you start at $680 we be happy if it is $550 next time...LOL Oh its the same with motorcycles if you ride. (Again MI was like $120 a year no matter on the vehicle except motorcycles which were $30). Not sure how TX works but very important information....best to wait to change your license and plates till you HAVE too if TX is cheaper.

Any questions ask....

Old 07-25-2011, 11:38 AM

52 posts, read 277,174 times
There are several good school districts here. District 20 is supposed to be one of the better ones. My kids go to District 49 and they are good too but they are going through a whole innovation thing which is a pain

Old 07-25-2011, 12:57 PM

126 posts, read 110,036 times
The best school district in the area (according to the Colorado School district rankings) is Monument's District 38. They rank #4 in the entire state (District 20 ranks #9) and boast a high school graduation rate of 98.5% with 85% college bound. It's a small district (only about 6,000 students as opposed to D20, which has over 22,000 students) in an affluent area. All the schools in D38 are exemplary; there are exemplary schools in D20 as well but some are not as impressive. When looking in D20 I would definitely check the individual schools that serve the areas in which the homes you are looking at are located.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:42 PM

540 posts, read 813,035 times
Take a close look at homes in the Cheyenne Mountain school district. They're #3 in the state and have some very nice neighborhoods.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:16 PM

554 posts, read 545,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt007 View Post
Take a close look at homes in the Cheyenne Mountain school district. They're #3 in the state and have some very nice neighborhoods.
Which, technically speaking, makes District 12 the "best" school district in the area (according to the Colorado School district rankings). D12 has about 4500 students and the two districts ranked #1 & #2 have 380 and 700 students respectively, so there may be some sample-size issues there. Arguably, D12 (and, yes, D38) may be the highest-performing district in the state with consistently measurable sample-size. I suggest you assume the quality of schools in D12 (Skyway/Broadmoor) and D38 (Monument/Black Forest) are equivalent and you go with a neighborhood in which you personally feel most comfortable. There are excellent schools in ALL the local school districts, but these two districts generally have ONLY excellent schools (if that makes sense).

District 12 consists of the SW neighborhoods of Colorado Springs, generally north/south of the Broadmoor Hotel (Colorado's only 5-star hotel). $275K - $325K will definitely get you in the "ballpark" of an older, decent size home in parts of District 12 (though obviously not the neighborhood immediately surrounding the Broadmoor, which is mucho dinero).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs