Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2011, 01:59 PM

4 posts, read 34,944 times

Advertisements

Hi-
My family is considering a move to Colorado and there seems to be a lot of good prices on homes in Colorado Springs, but I am concerned with the amount of crime that I see on the crime maps and I cannot seem to get a realtor to be up front and honest with me about it. The realtors I have spoken to will not even answer the simple question I have posed on this thread, "What are some safe, family friendly areas to live in CO Springs?"
help please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 02:11 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Safe areas in COLO SPGS are just about all of them, the further north you go, both on the east and west, the newer the homes, the higher the incomes and the lower the crime.

It is a very safe city.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:26 PM

520 posts, read 730,748 times
I don't think realtors can talk about how much crime is in an area or something like that, but Im not a realtor so here is a crime map for Colorado Springs and some suggestions.
Colorado Springs, CO Crime Map - Showing Crimes in Colorado Springs - Crime Statistics, Alerts and Reports - Crime Stops Here

For a safe, family friendly, good school area I would suggest Briargate. D-20 schools have a very good reputation. I live in the Briargate neighborhood and I rarely hear about any crime. Theres lots of families. Security-Widefield and Fountain are suburbs but they're also good places and I never hear about to much crime down there I'd say its pretty safe, pretty good schools. The Northwest side of the city is very nice and low crime, good schools. The District 2 school district gets a bad reputation and generally people will say to avoid that area. School District 11 is a mixed bag, some areas are safe and some areas aren't. The schools are basically the same thing some very good high performing schools and some bad ones. Overall this is a pretty safe city, but if you want a really safe neighborhood the Far Northside like Briargate would be very good. Stetson Hills is a nice neighborhood too and the homes are very new. Hopefully this is helpful. Good luck.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:53 PM

17 posts, read 69,186 times
Realtors are not allowed to say which parts of the city are safe. It's subjective and would be unfair to the property owners and sellers in that area.
I, however, am not a realtor. I would say generally stay away from the SE part of town and certain areas in the Central.
And, Dist. 20 rocks!

Old 08-07-2011, 10:18 AM
SYS

339 posts, read 1,171,704 times
If a realtor tells you what neighborhood to avoid due to crime statistics and vice versa, he'd be breaking fair-housing laws by practicing what's known as "steering." He/she can get sued for that and lose the license at the same time.

I can tell you, based on my 8 years of having lived in the Briargate area, that it's one of the safest place to live in CS and for raising young kids. Like you, I did an extensive research regarding safety prior to choosing this place. Of course, as everyone knows, there's no safety-proof area anywhere under the sun and crime stats do and will change over time. Given the pathetic state of our nation, I can only imagine that the stats can only get worse.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:34 PM

71 posts, read 193,612 times
My family recently moved just north of Colorado Springs to a bedroom community called Monument. It's very quiet up here and crime is VERY low. My husband is in the Air Force and I have noticed a lot of active duty as well as retired military folks surrounding us. We really like the trees and lack of desert feel. We will get more snow from my understanding, but we came from snow, so it's no big deal. We are cooler in the summer, which is nice, but I know it will also be cooler in the winter, so it's a trade off. Good luck with your search!

Old 08-10-2011, 11:37 AM

22 posts, read 82,619 times
I have lived in the Springs for 4 years now. We concentrated our home search to the Northwest and Briargate neighborhoods b/c we wanted to be in District 20. We settled on Briargate and it has been a great place to raise our family. There are a lot of parks within walking distance of many of the neighborhoods plus there are dog parks, YMCA, libraries, and rec centers. I hear of very little crime and our neighbors look out for each other.

Monument is about 10 miles north of Briargate and also has a pretty good school district as well, D-38. Like others mentioned I would stay away from the southern parts as well and some central parts. Also, there are a lot of issues with D 11 in my opinion which is the school district in that area.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:00 AM

812 posts, read 1,470,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by comomma17 View Post
Like others mentioned I would stay away from the southern parts as well and some central parts. Also, there are a lot of issues with D 11 in my opinion which is the school district in that area.
District 12 happens to be in the "southern" area of Colorado Springs, and it is consistently ranked as the highest achieving school district in Colorado, so I wouldn't paint with quite so broad a brush there. The Broadmoor neighborhoods and areas surrounding may not be up to "Briargate" standards but we've been doing reasonably well down here for 100+ years or so.

Old 03-18-2015, 01:01 AM

1 posts, read 17,816 times
We moved to the Briargate area! We love it and D-20 schools are amazing. It is also close to everything and only a 40 minute drive to Denver.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:53 PM

409 posts, read 703,950 times
There are safe areas scattered all around town. I would also say that almost anything north of Woodman is going to be safe, as a whole. We're in the Northgate area, and we're very happy here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs