U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 04:57 PM

5,091 posts, read 13,167,468 times

Advertisements

"...OK with me if some people don't want to tolerate Christianity. Of course it's a useless hypothetical, because that sentiment isn't and will never be the majority belief..."

I find this a very interesting statement. When we look at history, we see many gods and religions created by men have ceased to exist and are no longer the majority delusional god beliefs. So shall it be for the judeo/christian/islamic belief for the imaginary abrahamic god.

Speaking for christianity; it is not now, or never was the majority belief in the world. It may be tolerated by many in the US; many may voice that they are believers out of fear, customs or ethnic traditions;; many politicians act the christian belief to be elected; but christian belief will decay. Americans will follow the majority of elightened and educated Europeans who are now leaving christian institutions and letting it pass into history.

Livecontent

Old 08-14-2011, 05:09 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,680,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from down south View Post
OK with me if some people don't want to tolerate Christianity. Of course it's a useless hypothetical, because that sentiment isn't and will never be the majority belief.

My sentence was not meant to be a hypothetical. It was a logic fact pattern using variables. It's math based.

Further, the sentence is not far from reality in any way when one examines human history. An apt example would be any number of the disciples and/or followers of Jesus Christ who were persecuted for their unpopular beliefs. That, or the many countries who mandate non-Christian religions.

I hope you do not ever find yourself in the position of the oppressed. I've never been myself, thank God, but I do feel it to be a terrible plight.

Old 08-14-2011, 05:18 PM
HDL
Status: "Here's to finding common ground" (set 29 days ago)

3,090 posts, read 5,855,644 times
Thumbs up I agree

Note to self.....how can I make this into a bumper sticker ?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron of BBQ View Post
"tolerance" is a funny word - seems that those who demand it most, practice it least

Old 08-14-2011, 05:45 PM

15,148 posts, read 15,210,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_wilber View Post
"Notice me!! I'm gay and I'm special" - Whatever....leave us alone. No one cares, seriously!
Hahaha, NICE...your post nails it....booooo-hooooo, no one wuvs me.

Hey, I am in a special class, feel sorry for me and make me special.

I am an Ugly American..........no hot chicks will give me the time of day.......whoa is me .

Old 08-15-2011, 06:58 AM

4 posts, read 12,019 times
Please don't demand my "Tolerance", you haven't earned it.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:03 AM

808 posts, read 1,175,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from down south View Post
I am quite comfortable with a public image of Colorado Springs as a city that does not have much tolerance of immorality.
Unfortunately, part of the problem here (Colorado Springs) is the modern fundamentalist fixation on certain, convenient forms of "immorality" (civil rights of homosexuals; asking more wealthy segments of the population to pitch in to help the less fortunate; etc.) while simultanously embracing a veritable bevy of other forms of "immorality" that have historically (and Biblically) been viewed as sinful. Legal right to divorce, the borrowing and lending of money at interest - various behaviors our culture has whitewashed over to the point there is little collective memory these things were once considered "sins."

What begins to produce the telltale aroma of hypocricy is the consistent cherrypicking of certain behaviors and calling them "immoral" (almost always those which don't personally impact the lives of the modern fundamentalist) IN A HIGHLY POLITICIZED PUBLIC MANNER while at the same time embracing so many other historically sinful behaviors. None of us are perfect and we all have a tendency towards hypocricy and self-justification. The national perception of Colorado Springs is perhaps colored by some of our highly visible, self-promoting local evangelicals who created a very public forum in which to display the imperfect, hypocritical, self-justifying behaviour we're all guilty of in our less publicized ways.

This national perception of "intolerance" may end up being a difficult mark to remove and we'll just have to make the best of it, like the scars on several of our local mountains. Some of our local residents are proud of the mark; others not so much. Probably more are proud of it than not and as long as that's the case, the local politicians will, by definition, give the local majority what they want. Don't expect that to change anytime soon.

Old 08-15-2011, 12:56 PM

1,765 posts, read 1,978,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smdensbcs View Post
asking more wealthy segments of the population to pitch in to help the less fortunate; etc.)
According to money.bundle.com, the Springs is ranked 28th out of the 100 most charitable cities in the nation. Not bad for a bunch of conservatives unwilling to pitch in and help the less fortunate.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
According to money.bundle.com, the Springs is ranked 28th out of the 100 most charitable cities in the nation. Not bad for a bunch of conservatives unwilling to pitch in and help the less fortunate.
Are you entirely certain all that "charity" is in fact going to the "less fortunate" and not to various other things certain "non-profits" engage in? Looks to me as if Colorado Springs still has about the highest rate of childhood poverty in Colorado, which apparently has the fastest growing child proverty rate in the U.S. If vast numbers of local people can't feed themselves and their children, I'm not going to pat myself on the back about some nebulous internet ranking.

December 1st, 2009, 8:00 am by Perry Swanson
The number of people receiving food stamps in El Paso County climbed 38 percent from 2007 to 2009, and that federal government program now serves about one in 12 residents of the county, according to an analysis by The New York Times published Sunday.
El Paso County’s increase was slightly faster than the national average of 32 percent during the three-year period. Using government reports, the newspaper calculated the percentage of people receiving food stamps for nearly every county in the nation.
El Paso County’s 48,845 food-stamp recipients accounts for 8 percent of the population. Some population groups, though, are using food stamps at much higher rates. Fifteen percent of children in El Paso County are in families that receive food stamps, while 22 percent of blacks and 8 percent of whites participate in the program.
The federal government uses complex calculations to determine who’s eligible for food stamps, but in general they’re available to families with incomes of 130 percent of the poverty threshold or less. For a family of four, that’s annual income of $28,668. The maximum benefit for a family of four is $668 per month.
Here are links to some of The Gazette’s recent coverage of the issue:
No end in sight to torrents of food stamp applications
NOREEN: They wait for hours so they can wait for weeks
Record number of food stamp requests, distributions in El Paso County
Here’s a look at the number of food stamps recipients in the 10 largest-population counties in Colorado.
<A href="http://datageek.freedomblogging.com/files/2009/11/graph21.jpg">

Old 08-15-2011, 01:58 PM

1,765 posts, read 1,978,636 times
^^^^^
Rankings are from their website:

The most charitable U.S. cities : Bundle

Methodology: Rankings based on number of online donations per 1,000 people, online donation amount in dollars per 1,000 people, number of nonprofit associations, and spending on charity from July 2009 to June 2010. Bundle's numbers are compiled from data provided by Citi (one of Bundle's investors), as well as the U.S. government and third-party research. Here's a complete summary of how we highlight the data and what's included in each category. (Sources: Bundle, Manta and Convio.)

I know what's coming next. The people of Colorado Springs give a lot to their "churches". Well, being a Roman Catholic and having donated time at the soup kitchen for the last 10 years (yes, even at the OLD kitchen), I've see people from all walks of life donating their time as well as their money. This is NOT greedy community by any measure. Many citizens of this city care very deeply about the welfare of others.

Last edited by Kar54; 08-15-2011 at 02:08 PM..

Old 08-15-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
I know what's coming next. The people of Colorado Springs give a lot to their "churches". Well, being a Roman Catholic and having donated time at the soup kitchen for the last 10 years (yes, even at the OLD kitchen), I've see people from all walks of life donating their time as well as their money. This is NOT greedy community by any measure. Many citizens of this city care very deeply about the welfare of others.
It's actually not the "church" giving I suspect may not be trickling down to the less fortunate, it's the PAC arms of the largest non-profits. Regardless, whether charitable giving occurs and at what rate relative to other comparable cities with similar demographics (are there any?) does not really alter the debate as to whether Colorado Springs has a national reputation for "intolerance" and whether certain high-profile evangelical leaders do or do not selectively pick-and-choose what to call "immoral" and whether such "crusades" are or are not selected based on the particular issue's fundraising potential.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or