U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 09:57 AM

8 posts, read 41,788 times

Advertisements

Is a two wheel drive pickup able to be driven safely in the snow/ice. I am from a place that only had snow/ice on the road maybe twice in a decade. I was able to manage with my pickup but there were no hills at all. My concern is with the hills. Should I get snow tires for the back? How much weight should I put in the back and where can I buy sandbags? Is a front wheel drive way better? I know this is probably a question that people are tired of seeing on here, but I have been getting different answers from people that I ask. I am hoping someone who has a two wheel drive pickup will respond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 02:25 PM

18,863 posts, read 8,860,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joebro1 View Post
Is a two wheel drive pickup able to be driven safely in the snow/ice. I am from a place that only had snow/ice on the road maybe twice in a decade. I was able to manage with my pickup but there were no hills at all. My concern is with the hills. Should I get snow tires for the back? How much weight should I put in the back and where can I buy sandbags? Is a front wheel drive way better? I know this is probably a question that people are tired of seeing on here, but I have been getting different answers from people that I ask. I am hoping someone who has a two wheel drive pickup will respond.
I moved here a year ago, so last winter was my first in Colorado, although where I lived back East we had varying degrees of snow...so I had some experience with winter driving.

My tires are radials rated snow/rain, and I had no problems in the few snowstorms we did have. And, at the height of our biggest storm I did have to go to the doctor's office...which is on a hill...was apprehensive, but did fine. Now, I have a car (Buick Lacrosse), not a pickup truck.

Old 08-14-2011, 02:38 PM

2,175 posts, read 5,410,652 times
It really depends on where you're moving to, in my opinion.

I brought a 2WD pickup to Denver and hated it, but at least in Denver it doesn't snow often, so I was inconvenienced only a few times per year. It's not that driving a 2WD pickup in the snow is impossible -- I mean, you can buy sandbags, snow tires, and chains, but it's just inconvenient to have to worry about that stuff at the beginning of the season, plus, you have to have a place to store the snow tires during the rest of the year. To me, it was worth it to dump the pickup and buy something else (a Jeep), but I didn't really HAVE to do that.

In your case, if you're moving to an area that gets a lot of snow, it might be a good idea to look at switching to another vehicle. (edit: I just noticed that this is in the Colorado Springs forum, so you might be OK as far as snow -- doesn't seem to snow a lot there, either.)

Old 08-15-2011, 01:01 PM

1,207 posts, read 4,136,552 times
Been here 7 years with a 2wd Toyota pickup and it does just fine with snow tires. It has a fiberglass cover over the bed that weighs about a 100 lbs. I driven in some late spring snow with the all season tires and don't recommend driving hills. The snow tires make a huge difference. I also have a front drive and it's better in snow and ice, especially with snows. We also have an AWD suv and is better yet. Remember that braking is a function of the tire grip and does not matter which wheels are powered.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:09 AM

98 posts, read 199,853 times
We've got a 2WD Toyota pickup that we brought with us when we moved here 7 years ago. We get sand tubes every year at Home Depot. Other than being careful at stops, it's not that bad. It does get a little squirrely at times, but you just have to be careful. MasterDrive has some info on their blog about winter driving.
Winter Driving 101 - Part Two | MasterDrive

Old 08-16-2011, 08:59 AM

3,133 posts, read 9,101,058 times
If you haven't moved yet, sell it. A 2WD pickup is worthless for resale here. Snow doesn't stay around for long in the Springs, so with some good tires you will be fine. I wouldn't even bother with snow tires unless you go up in the mountains often. We always have one 4x4 suv/truck in our garage so we have options when we get 12"+ of snow in WP.

Old 08-16-2011, 04:50 PM

8 posts, read 41,788 times
Default 2wd winter driving

Thanks for all the replies. We bought my wife a AWD Subaru outback so if it gets too bad I will use that. I know there will be times I will not have access to that vehicle so I am trying to prepare. Also, can I get by on snow tires on just the back?

Old 08-16-2011, 07:25 PM

1,207 posts, read 4,136,552 times
Quote:
Quote:
Also, can I get by on snow tires on just the back?
It's tempting, but don't do it. The front tires supply most of the stopping power as well as steering. We live in Monument where we get about twice the snow that COS gets, plus we have hills. The difference between all season and true snow tires has to be felt to believe. Truly amazing.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:52 PM

10 posts, read 27,696 times
We have 2 RWD cars (on purpose). Snow tires + sand bags will take care of all but the biggest hills. Is it a Limited Slip Diff? That makes a huge difference - I'm just not very familiar with trucks in general.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:15 PM

4 posts, read 36,192 times
Front wheel drive is much better and safer when driving in snow, but you don't have FWD so thats not even worth worryin about, your wife has an AWD vehicle now so as long as you have cellphone signal and your wife doesn't mind driving in it, you can always rescue yourself if need be just make sure she knows where you keep the tow rope, jump leads, shovel etc!!
Sandbags/Gravelbags etc can be gotten from most Garden Centres etc.
It might also be worth practicing driving in an empty icy parking lot with your RWD and get a good feel for when the back end starts wanting to drift out, in normal use, my car is RWD and I plan to do this to improve my handling skills and see how the car handles in 2WD... :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs