U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2011, 07:04 AM

17 posts, read 42,964 times

Advertisements

Hello, we may have a very fast move and very unexpected move to COS and no time to research areas and schools.

Our priorities:

Top schools as we have a daughter who is a freshman in high school and another starting 7th grade both are honors students. Would be great if the high school offered Japanese as a language and girls Lacrosse.

We also need a great stable as we have two horses. Would like an indoor arena if possible. Don't mind driving.

Husband will be stationed with NORTHCOM/NORAD head so not sure if that is Peterson or Cheyenne Mt. area.

Any and all information is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 07:10 AM

16,438 posts, read 18,592,805 times
I see issues. D20 (Briargate etc.) is top rated, but you'll need someplace like Black Forest for horses. Others on the board can give better guidance though, I'm just a wannabe resident at present.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:29 AM

5,026 posts, read 6,734,749 times
I don't think Japanese is offered at any of the high schools. I know Palmer has a Lacrosse team for boys, but I don't know about girls - not sure it is offered in the city.

Norad is closer to Cheyenne Mountain area - you could opt for D12 schools which have a good reputation.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:06 AM

20,380 posts, read 37,943,998 times
There's a large stable up on the far north end of town near Pine Creek HS in the D20 school district; Kettle Creek Ranch. No indoor ring but a large operation with lots of room to ride and for horses to run.

This area is one of the best in town. Kids can walk to all three public schools (Pine Creek HS, Challenger Middle School, Mountain View Elementary). Search for houses in zip 80920 on realtor.com or in Briargate / Pine Creek on ppar.com

This is horse country and I'm sure there are stables on the south side of town too, that's just not my area of knowledge. Down that way D12 is said to be best, D8 and parts of D11 are excellent too. D11 just got high marks for its REAL food from fresh local sources.

I *think* that Rampart High School offers some Japanese language classes, try this link, at the bottom are the course objectives. Rampart is also in a great Briargate neighborhood that is convenient to Powers Blvd for easy commuting down to Peterson or Schreiver AFBs. Not sure if NORAD is still in the mountain these days, I thought it moved over to one of the AFBs. Pix of this whole area are in the Photo Tour.

Here are some of the horses acting frisky at Kettle Creek Ranch is an early snowstorm on 10-16-06.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:22 AM

2,867 posts, read 7,120,663 times
There are some houses with land for sale around the woodmen/union area, and some people out there do have horses...

Old 08-20-2011, 09:31 AM

1,706 posts, read 2,937,565 times
The vast majority of NORAD is stationed at Peterson AFB. However, I believe they have a very small crew to keep things going at the mountain. Every so often they'll have a drill and everyone will go to Cheyenne Mountain for a few days, usually over a weekend. DH works in the NORAD building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or