U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2011, 03:36 PM

6 posts, read 25,589 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I'm wondering if any of you can give me a sense of the culture and community atmosphere of the Monument area, including Woodmoor and the other communities served by D38.

My family and I are considering a move west (have been in Chicago for the last 30 years), so the increased snow/temps aren't a concern, but wondering how you would characterize the people and community.

Everything I have read seems to indicate that it is perhaps more affluent generally--does that come with the stereotypical attitude or are folks pretty laid back? I've also read about some pretty crazy HOA rules, etc., so would love to know more about that as well.

Thanks in advance. Off to see if I can give back by contributing to the IL forum a bit...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 06:46 PM

1,207 posts, read 4,138,515 times
We've lived in Woodmoor since '04. The area is generally upscale, but not as much as some of the newer surrounding developments> King's Deer, Tall Pines, Fox Run, among others. There are many retired AF officers and I would consider the area has a conservative slant, which is fine for us. We find folks here are down to earth, well-traveled, very educated, and most are from other states. Woodmoor has no commercial area within and the downtown area of Monument leaves a lot to be desired. There is a newer commercial area with a Wal-Mart, Kohls, Home Depot, resturants, and a number of smaller businesses.
You can download the HOA regulations at the Woodmoor Improvement Association website(Woodmoor.org). I'm sure some would consider the rules way too confining, but there they are really not that bad. A biggie is the probation of solid fences. Only 'split-rail' fences are allowed. Makes the neighborhood much more appealing.
Since moving here we have seen many nice, some very appealing, areas of COS and the surrounding towns, but never anything we would trade for Woodmoor. The lots are big enough to have a bit of privacy and still keep a neighborhood 'feel' that you don't have with 2+ acre lots. We get twice the snow of COS because of the altitude, but visit the area and you'll see it's worth it. Try this shortcut to another thread>>>
Black Forest, Monument, Woodmoor -- PHOTOS & INFORMATION

Old 08-20-2011, 04:58 PM

Thanks for the information--I found the woodmoor site quite helpful. It seems like the biggest issues are that they want to keep non-natural externals to a minimum (fences, satellite dishes, clotheslines, etc.). Doesn't seem like that big of a deal.

Are people pretty relaxed about things, though, or is it more like every person is an officer of the HOA ?

I'm very interested in the area, and plan to visit next month. Like I said, the snow isn't a major concern for us coming from Chicagoland, where we get plenty, and it is ALWAYS heavy from the humidity. We got 22 inches this past winter in about 12 hours, so after that, I figure everything else is downhill

How is the access from Monument to the foothills and hiking, etc.?

You'd mentioned, too, that a good number of retired AF folks live in the area--does it tend to be a somewhat "older" populous, or are there plenty of young(ish) families with kids? (We have an 11 yr old and a 9 yr old...)

Thanks again!

Old 08-20-2011, 09:51 PM

1,207 posts, read 4,138,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mufcinchi View Post
Are people pretty relaxed about things, though, or is it more like every person is an officer of the HOA ?

How is the access from Monument to the foothills and hiking, etc.?

You'd mentioned, too, that a good number of retired AF folks live in the area--does it tend to be a somewhat "older" populous, or are there plenty of young(ish) families with kids? (We have an 11 yr old and a 9 yr old...)

Thanks again!
Most in our neighborhood are relaxed and don't worry about the finer details of the HOA ruleboook. Woodmoor security will report you for major infractions, like RV parking.
Access to the foothills is easy because the western boundry of Monument is up against the mountains. Mt Herman road has a lot of hiking/off-roading opportunities. Fox Run Park also has many hiking/running trails and a nice lake and picnic areas. The Santa Fe Trail runs through Monument, north to Palmer Lake and south to COS.
The concentration of school age kids is not as high as some of the higher density developments, maybe because of the higher median home price or maybe just because there are fewer homes per acre. There are many retired AF with elementary age kids. Our daughter is 11 and there are 2 AF retirees on either side of us that have younger. Many officers do not have kids till they are established in their careers and retire in their mid 40's.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:12 AM

Again, thanks. We'll definitely be looking into it, as we fit roughly into that demographic ourselves. My wife does not work outside the home currently, and probably would not when/if we relocate. She is 11 years my senior, though, so we find ourselves relating to folks who tended to wait a bit longer to have kids and/or have children with a range of ages.

Anything else I should know about the area?

Old 08-21-2011, 09:49 PM

71 posts, read 160,972 times
Vfrpilot gave you some great information. Our family moved to Woodmoor in June and we really love it. I have a teenage daughter and she also loves it. Walking around the neighborhood, with plenty of hills to make it challenging, I see a good number of kids, but not like in some of the more "cookie cutter" neighborhoods. I'm sure price point is part of the reason. The homes here are custom built, from the 70's to newly built. Our family is in the military as are many of our neighbors, though certainly not all. I think that the fact that so many people have retired up here speaks well for our community. There's not much up here, but that's what I like about it. Wal Mart is certainly close enough for me. The neighbors have been very friendly and even came by to introduce themselves, bring deserts, and give me their phone numbers in case I needed anything. They have not been intrusive, just friendly. I have to say, I have not had this happen with any other moves, (and we have had plenty). People wave when you drive by or speak when you pass them on a walk. These are things I like about Woodmoor, and Monument, for that matter. Good luck!

Old 08-22-2011, 09:01 PM

Thanks for the additional info ladyjag45!

Old 08-22-2011, 09:46 PM

71 posts, read 160,972 times
You're quite welcome. Oh, and I'm also a stay at home mom like your wife. Funny enough, I am 8 years older than my husband. I couldn't guess what the percentage of stay at home moms is because I only know a few people at this point. If nothing else, she will have some retired people close enough if she needs anything. My neighbors range in age from early 40's to mid 60's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs