U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2011, 12:51 PM

17 posts, read 49,068 times

Advertisements

Hey, I'm new to the springs - just moved in a few weeks ago - and I was wondering what people suggest for thrift stores around here.

Primarily I need furniture, but I also work with kids and need to get a bunch of toys and games. Any suggestions for good places?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 01:02 PM

1,438 posts, read 2,031,756 times
There is a used furniture store Platte Furniture. Its not a thirft store, but it has some real good deals. Its one of those places you have to keep going back to to see what they have in. I bought an old Mexican desk and a nightstand there about 6 months ago. Desk was in pretty good shape ($140), and nightstand was brand new looking ($35). Both would have been 10 times that price if I could have found them new somewhere.
Platte Furniture
2331 Platte Place
Colorado Springs, CO 80909
(719) 633-7309

Old 08-22-2011, 01:38 PM

2,854 posts, read 7,024,113 times
I have one word for you. ARC. Good stuff, dirt cheap prices. Hell, I buy half my clothes there.
Welcome To Arc Thrift Stores

The one at Hancock and ACademy has the best selection of nice name brand clothes and furniture, due to it's close proximity for Ft. Carson. Lots of military families prefer to just quickly get rid of stuff, rather than pack it up and move it.

Old 08-22-2011, 05:05 PM

898 posts, read 1,002,408 times
IMHO, ARC is not cheap for a thrift store. I think their stuff is over-priced. I feel the same way about Platte ... I was amazed at some of the prices they had on their used furniture. A good place for furniture deals is auctions. It's where dealers go to get their merchandise - plus they're a lot of fun.

That said, the Goodwill down in Fountain is a good store. But in general, most of the thrift stores (even the large ones), don't have a very large selection of furniture. Craigslist can be a great source for good deals or even FREE stuff. People are always giving away kid's toys and clothes.

Old 08-22-2011, 05:10 PM

4,880 posts, read 6,515,415 times
Don't forget Freecycle.org; if you're not terribly picky and willing to go pick stuff up, you can get lots of free stuff.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:23 PM

2,854 posts, read 7,024,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngigi View Post
IMHO, ARC is not cheap for a thrift store. I think their stuff is over-priced. I feel the same way about Platte ... I was amazed at some of the prices they had on their used furniture. A good place for furniture deals is auctions. It's where dealers go to get their merchandise - plus they're a lot of fun.

That said, the Goodwill down in Fountain is a good store. But in general, most of the thrift stores (even the large ones), don't have a very large selection of furniture. Craigslist can be a great source for good deals or even FREE stuff. People are always giving away kid's toys and clothes.
Are you kidding me? I just bought a $60 Under Armor hoodie there for $5, and several pairs of name brand jeans and only spent $20. IF that isn't cheap I don't know what is.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:06 PM

898 posts, read 1,002,408 times
I'm not saying there aren't deals to be had, but a lot of their stuff is over-priced. They have women's clothing whose prices compare to going to Ross any day, or Target on a good sale day. I've heard many people complain about their prices.

And the household stuff is ridiculous ... a chipped item with a $12.99 price tag is a rip-off - an old scratched-up frying pan is not worth $9.99.

Old 09-05-2011, 04:33 PM

24 posts, read 49,696 times
Someone needs to buy a Savers franchise...now THAT is my favorite!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs