U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-30-2011, 08:00 PM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
19,075 posts, read 8,986,650 times
Reputation: 18490

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
No, it is not the responsibility of the school district to provide day care for working parents, however, it IS the responsibility of the school district to be "family friendly" and consider the impact of its decisions on families. The SD should not deliberately make things harder for families.
Just one caution here. I was a middle school principal back East (and, this is not about whether schools back is East are better or worse...I make no judgment about that). But one day, a parent called and raked me over the coals for x, y, and z that her older child had experienced. And she wrapped up her condemnation by saying, "YOU should have done the kind of survey the elementary school [where her younger child was going] did. Then you'd know." I said, "Well, actually every school in the district does exactly the same survey. Our school parents were surveyed, too." "Well, I didn't get one. You skipped over me on purpose." "No, we at the school level don't out the surveys. The district sends them out randomly to 20% of the parents in each school. You must have been in the random 20% for the elementary school, but not in the random 20% for our school." "Well, I'm sure your middle school got much lower ratings than the elementary school." So, I had her read off each category and then compared our rating to the elementary schools rating. I already knew we were higher in virtually rating category. So then she said, "Well, obviously you made up the ratings!" And she hung up.

My point here is merely this. Your school and district may be horrible, good, or great. I have no idea. But I doubt any decision they make is based on the concept of, "Let's deliberately make things harder for families." Even those decisions and policies that have that effect, were undoubtedly not done for that intent.

Running a school and school system is difficult at best. You have the additionally complicating factor out here of school choice. From my perspective, that must terribly complicate everything for a school/district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-31-2011, 10:40 AM
 
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
583 posts, read 1,304,960 times
Reputation: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeper View Post
We are looking at a house in the district 49 area, is this a good school or a bad school? We are from Iowa and do not have a clue.
The district gets a bad rap, however I can tell you the following:

I have one daughter in Middle School and one in High School
Both daughters love their schools and their teachers
My oldest is a senior and is a 4.0 student...scored a 32 on the ACT and pretty much has her choice of where to attend college
My youngest is a straight A student as well
There is nothing about D49 that is holding my daughters back
Both are well-rounded, educated, mature young ladies

I'm very happy with the district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2011, 04:38 PM
 
313 posts, read 362,022 times
Reputation: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt007 View Post
The district gets a bad rap, however I can tell you the following:

I have one daughter in Middle School and one in High School
Both daughters love their schools and their teachers
My oldest is a senior and is a 4.0 student...scored a 32 on the ACT and pretty much has her choice of where to attend college
My youngest is a straight A student as well
There is nothing about D49 that is holding my daughters back
Both are well-rounded, educated, mature young ladies

I'm very happy with the district.
Just to be clear since I don't want anyone to misunderstand (or simply check school reviews when doing research and go no further) I've had no problem with the D49 schools at all. My girls are all doing extremely well in school here and I'm happy with the education they have been getting. (I have one in elementary, one in middle and one in high school, so we cover all levels, and I am a former elementary school teacher so I am very picky about schools.) Their teachers are awesome and the facilities are great. Unfortunately, with all the changes in the district and the way they have been handled, there is no guarantee that that will continue to be the case. It's the district administration of D49 I have no faith in. I hate the current bus service and fees and the uncertainty of knowing whether there will even continue to be bus service in the coming years, the way the budget has been handled (unhappiness with the way they handle money was the most cited reason for residents not voting them more money not long ago) and my lack of confidence in their recent Innovation Initiative. Info from the district to the parents on changes is insufficient and vague (as evidenced by the way they handled the proposed 4 day week out here in Falcon).

Unfortunately, great schools and teachers need a great (or at least good) district administration to keep them that way and I don't think D49 has that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2011, 09:25 AM
 
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
583 posts, read 1,304,960 times
Reputation: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMac View Post
Just to be clear since I don't want anyone to misunderstand (or simply check school reviews when doing research and go no further) I've had no problem with the D49 schools at all. My girls are all doing extremely well in school here and I'm happy with the education they have been getting. (I have one in elementary, one in middle and one in high school, so we cover all levels, and I am a former elementary school teacher so I am very picky about schools.) Their teachers are awesome and the facilities are great. Unfortunately, with all the changes in the district and the way they have been handled, there is no guarantee that that will continue to be the case. It's the district administration of D49 I have no faith in. I hate the current bus service and fees and the uncertainty of knowing whether there will even continue to be bus service in the coming years, the way the budget has been handled (unhappiness with the way they handle money was the most cited reason for residents not voting them more money not long ago) and my lack of confidence in their recent Innovation Initiative. Info from the district to the parents on changes is insufficient and vague (as evidenced by the way they handled the proposed 4 day week out here in Falcon).

Unfortunately, great schools and teachers need a great (or at least good) district administration to keep them that way and I don't think D49 has that.
Agree, however we, as parents need to step up to the plate, roll up our sleeves and help our schools out. We're good at talking the talk, but not so at walking the walk.

It's a shame how many parents don't take an interest in the education of their children. There are always volunteer opportunities, booster clubs, PTA, fundraisers, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2011, 09:40 AM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
85,077 posts, read 99,155,665 times
Reputation: 31559
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
My point here is merely this. Your school and district may be horrible, good, or great. I have no idea. But I doubt any decision they make is based on the concept of, "Let's deliberately make things harder for families." Even those decisions and policies that have that effect, were undoubtedly not done for that intent.

Running a school and school system is difficult at best. You have the additionally complicating factor out here of school choice. From my perspective, that must terribly complicate everything for a school/district.
I agree with the above. However, some moves seem obviously family-unfriendly, such as implementing a four-day week when most parents work five. When my kids were little, there were a lot of half day early releases, which were a pain since they always seemed to occur on days that I had to work. Now, my day care provider was willing to take my kid (and all the others she had on those days), but it was just an extra expense for me. There were also days when ele school was off one day for an inservice but middle school was off another day. I couldn't keep the middle schooler home to watch the little one, so it was "find a babysitter" if I had to work the day of the ele inservice. At that point, I had no regular babysitter; my older child watched the younger one. Fortunately, at some point in time, my district agreed that all days off would be district-wide, and they cut out these half-day releases, too.

I would not want to run a school district for all the tea in China.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2011, 05:32 PM
 
24 posts, read 50,155 times
Reputation: 20
It's absolutely not the responsibility of the school system, BUT, the traditional work week is M-F, and if they're suddenly going to throw a wrench into that, yes. Parents are going to either need a crutch for a while or flat out help - unless you can get every employer in the city to go to a 4-day work week, this is going to cause serious stress for people. People can't just "take off" on fridays because the school system changed...there should be at least an entire year to allow for people to work solutions or move...LOL. And I'm a SAHM, so it doesn't matter a hoot in my world. but I can certainly see that if someone took a job to work while their kids are in school and now the schools are changing the days they're in session, yes. I'd be p'd

And perhaps I'm missing something - and I'm not opposed to alternative education options; I think development/growth follows change (which is usually painful). Where I'm getting stuck is this...the school day is 8:20-3ish...so that's at LEAST a 6hr day...minus what, 45min for lunch? still, how do you create that fifth day with only 50min added onto the other four? Are they going on "straight instruction" time vs. "school time" (which would include specials like gym/art/music, etc)? Help a math idiot out here...Gosh and if that's the case, that means there's less than 4hrs a day that are actual scholastic/curriculum instruction time...that's kind of worth a few thoughts...

Last edited by Mike from back east; 09-06-2011 at 06:05 PM.. Reason: Merged 2:1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2011, 07:02 PM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
19,075 posts, read 8,986,650 times
Reputation: 18490
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo3 View Post
...

And perhaps I'm missing something - and I'm not opposed to alternative education options; I think development/growth follows change (which is usually painful). Where I'm getting stuck is this...the school day is 8:20-3ish...so that's at LEAST a 6hr day...minus what, 45min for lunch? still, how do you create that fifth day with only 50min added onto the other four? Are they going on "straight instruction" time vs. "school time" (which would include specials like gym/art/music, etc)? Help a math idiot out here...Gosh and if that's the case, that means there's less than 4hrs a day that are actual scholastic/curriculum instruction time...that's kind of worth a few thoughts...
Well, as a good teacher develops an individual lesson, there is what some people call "bookending". At the beginning of the class you review what was learned yesterday and how it relates to what will be learned today. Then, at the end of the lesson, the good teacher summarizes what was learned today and how it will connect with what will happen in class tomorrow. I don't mean that the teacher just says that stuff. He/she involves the student in the discussion by asking leading questions, etc. Beginning and ending...it can easily take 10 minutes...but it helps the child put different pieces of the puzzle together, thus seeing a bigger picture. So, if you eliminate that time by 1 day, you begin to build up some instructional time...along with the time you no longer spend moving from class to class...which can be up to 28 minutes per day.

I've never seen lunches be more than 30 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2011, 01:25 PM
 
Location: Powers/Dublin
215 posts, read 632,635 times
Reputation: 122
It won't happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2011, 07:16 PM
 
Location: Canon City, Colorado
1,331 posts, read 4,426,372 times
Reputation: 676
Not trying to be mean but,...if everyone is complaining about daycare for 1 school day whilst one is "working"....what the toot do you do during the summer when NO ONE is in school??!!!! 2 to 3 months of daycare???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top