Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 09:25 AM

19,026 posts, read 13,937,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt007 View Post
Schools are not day care providers.

There are also parents that work weekends...should we have school on weekends as well so they are cared for and fed?
The public school is not providing daycare. It is standard practice in the vast majority of the country that the school week, like the work week, is 5 days. I certainly am not looking for day care from the school, but would not move to a district that forced me to find actual daycare because of a shortened school week.

Honestly, when I move to Colorado again I'll be retired anyway, so I'll be taking care of my kids while the wife works, but this just caught my attention for the people who HAVE to work regular, 5 day jobs, and their children being in school makes life much easier.

A sudden change like this leaves a parent with few choices: change jobs, lose a day of pay, lean on family, or find a one-day daycare program. Many parents will end up leaving children home alone who are not old enough/responsible enough to be in that situation. If the municipality actually cut school taxes because of move like this, then the parent would have no room to complain, but considering any person with a brain knows that they won't do this, its just an increased burden on already strapped tax-paying parents.

Last edited by Airborneguy; 08-23-2011 at 09:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 11:38 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
MrsMac wrote:
I feel so sorry for people who are trying to sell houses out in this area. Since the whole bus fiasco earlier this year (when the only way the parents even found out the school district was voting that night on doing away with the district's transportation dept entirely was a note sent home by the bus drivers; it went downhill from there), house sales have come to a virtual standstill and lots of families who rent (like us) are leaving the district.
Perhaps the bus fiasco as you call it is a minor contributor to house sales coming to a virtual standstill, but I'm thinking that the national real estate crash and the persistent economic malaise are much bigger culprits.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:47 AM

346 posts, read 549,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt007 View Post
This is a big trend and it's working for many districts. Big $$$ savings as well. I say don't knock it until you try it.
Actually, studies (done by the Education Commission of the States) have shown that the cost savings for schools that have implemented a 4 day school week are negligible at only 0.3 to 2.5% of the total budget. Because the schools are always used on the 5th "down" day (for daycare, teacher development, sports, etc.) and salaries (which make up the majority of any budget) remain the same since everyone is working the same number of hours (just in a shorter time frame) the only significant cost savings is in the area of hourly wage earners (who will have their pay cut significantly in an already shaky economy) and transportation. As of this year parents in D49 are paying a $1 a ride and the transportation department is relying solely on that to survive so they will actually cut their revenue - potentially by more than they will save.

And yes, it has worked for many districts, the majority of which are small and rural. Everything I've read, however, indicates that extensive time should be taken studying the issue since there are so many variables. There are some positives (contrary to what has been stated here in other posts, "there is a decided lack of evidence how the schedule impacts student achievement"* , though attendance was positively impacted) and some negatives and 7 weeks and one or two meetings with the community just isn't enough time to make an informed decision but the Board will vote on it anyway.

I am not adamantly against a 4 day school week (were I still teaching elementary school it would be a dream schedule for me!) but as usual parents were not given much information or resources to find out more on the subject in the email asking for their input, few public meetings were scheduled to discuss the issue and the Board allowed almost no lead time before they make their vote. I feel like once again the Board is going to do what it wants to do and doesn't really care what is best for the kids or what parents have to say.

* Four-Day School Week (2009)
ECS StateNote
By Molly Ryan

Old 08-23-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
MrsMac wrote:
I feel so sorry for people who are trying to sell houses out in this area. Since the whole bus fiasco earlier this year (when the only way the parents even found out the school district was voting that night on doing away with the district's transportation dept entirely was a note sent home by the bus drivers; it went downhill from there), house sales have come to a virtual standstill and lots of families who rent (like us) are leaving the district.
Perhaps the bus fiasco as you call it is a minor contributor to house sales coming to a virtual standstill, but I'm thinking that the national real estate crash and the persistent economic malaise are much bigger culprits.
I never said it wasn't a minor contributor - sales out here were really, really slow to start with (as is the case almost everywhere) but the situation with D49 has made it even worse the last 6 months. This is a neighbourhood built around an elementary school and 95% of the residents are families with children; issues with the schools/school district definitely adversely effects the desirability of homes in this area.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:11 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
MrsMac wrote:
I never said it wasn't a minor contributor
I'm not saying you did or didn't.I merely said that perhaps it was.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:19 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyjag45 View Post
I completely agree Bullitt007. I feel fortunate to have never put my child in daycare, (she's in high school now), but realize this is not the case with many families. Still, it is not the responsibility of the public school system to solve that problem.
No, it is not the responsibility of the school district to provide day care for working parents, however, it IS the responsibility of the school district to be "family friendly" and consider the impact of its decisions on families. The SD should not deliberately make things harder for families.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:08 PM

The parental survey indicated that 63% of parents were opposed to a 4 day school week so it looks like the idea has been shelved by now.

I really think this whole issue was handled badly. If they really thought this was a good fit for the district they should have said WHY in their email and cited whatever studies, budget projections, etc they had done. They should also have provided more info or provided websites, etc. where parents could have found info on the pros and cons and how the 4 day week has worked in other districts.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:41 AM

1 posts, read 1,231 times
We are looking at a house in the district 49 area, is this a good school or a bad school? We are from Iowa and do not have a clue.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeper View Post
We are looking at a house in the district 49 area, is this a good school or a bad school? We are from Iowa and do not have a clue.
The schools in general are good, it's the school board and the way the district is run that we're unhappy with. Too much change and budget cutting, the cost of school bus service ($1 a ride) and the possibility it won't even exist next year and uncertainty over whether their new "school initiative" restructuring will benefit the students or hurt them in the long run.

Personally, I'm looking at houses in Districts 20, 12 or 38. Too much uncertainty here in D49 and if it is adversely effecting home values now there is a good chance it could get worse in the future.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:26 PM

71 posts, read 193,612 times
Property value was a large part of why we didn't even look at houses in District 49. It seemed as if houses were less expensive there than other areas of Colorado Springs, but I'm not sure if this had anything to do with the school district. I would imagine it was a factor as school systems can make or break resale. We ended up in Monument, (District 38). We just moved here this summer, but so far, so good. There are a lot of retired people up here in Monument, and I do not see a whole lot for sale as I did in some areas of Colorado Springs. Of course, we aren't planning on moving any time soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs