U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 11:35 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,726,605 times

Advertisements

I don't live there--but I'd tell you to line up jobs first. I moved to a small town in Iowa for my wife's education and nepotism killed my job search. I ended up building my own business, giving it a local name, and people didn't know I was from the west coast so they stopped pretending I should just crawl into a ditch and die.

In a decent sized city you aren't likely to see that nepotism, but the rules of find the job first still remain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 01:13 AM

74 posts, read 172,245 times
That is a definite must for us. We will meet with the nurse recruiters at the hospitals and other healthcare facilities and make sure we BOTH have positions secured as RNs before we up and move. Wish I was a wealthy man and could just come rockin on up there on a dream and a prayer lol.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:10 PM

937 posts, read 1,039,474 times
Just an FYI to all who say this area is "mostly evangelical conservative Christians" ... it is NOT - there are just as many of the rest of us, middle of the roaders, liberals, liberal conservatives, conservative liberals, democrats, republicans, independents, agnostics, atheists, and frisbeterians*, etc. Truly, it is a melting pot. Some may have louder voices - but that doesn't mean there's more of them.

*Those of us who believe that when we die, our souls go up on the rooftop.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:45 PM

2 posts, read 4,943 times
From another would-be Colorado Springs resident: Thanks! These have been many of my concerns. I've dreamed of moving to Colorado all my life. Only now do I have the freedom to do so. I'm 61 and retired so hearing from someone in that position would be great.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:16 PM

727 posts, read 1,138,651 times
Agree with Mtngigi - The whole ultra conservative religious right reputation was of concern to us as we were contemplating where to relocate, now that we're semi-retired. There are lots of threads on this forum that address these concerns (one of which I started and thanks again to all who posted responses to my questions). This area is conservative, no question, and there are some pretty loud voices (e.g., Gazette) but there are plenty of folks who aren't. You just have to look a little harder to find them (Manitou, Old Colorado City, and Old North End are good places to start).

Old 02-17-2012, 09:26 PM

2,867 posts, read 7,116,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera32 View Post
Agree with Mtngigi - The whole ultra conservative religious right reputation was of concern to us as we were contemplating where to relocate, now that we're semi-retired. There are lots of threads on this forum that address these concerns (one of which I started and thanks again to all who posted responses to my questions). This area is conservative, no question, and there are some pretty loud voices (e.g., Gazette) but there are plenty of folks who aren't. You just have to look a little harder to find them (Manitou, Old Colorado City, and Old North End are good places to start).
it's about 50/50. There's plenty of liberals here, more than I care to have, but that's just me. Colorado Springs isn't that conservative of a city. What super religious conservative city would allow MMJ dispensaries all over the place and 3 or 4 gentelman's clubs?

If Focus on the Family would pack up their stuff and go back to where they came from (which ironically is California), we wouldn't have this reputation.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:49 AM

727 posts, read 1,138,651 times
Ryan - Sorry, but it's not 50/50 between conservative and liberal (unless you have a different definition of liberal, or conservative, than I do). Unless I'm mistaken, in El Paso County, the last presidential election had a 60/40 split in in favor of the Republican. Same with the mayoral election, which was supposedly non-partisan, but it came down to a self-described conservative and a self-described liberal (a well known and popular, even among conservatives, local business owner). I believe the vote went 58/42 for the conservative. Then there's our representative to the U.S. House. He's about as conservative as it gets. Bottom line is if this area were split 50/50, it would make sense that someone other than a conservative could be elected to something. Does anyone realistically think that's possible? In this "purple" state, El Paso County is about as conservative a bastion as you'll find, outside of possibly some Western slope areas. If this area isn't conservative enough for you, I'd suggest Orange County, California (that's right, California).

Old 04-02-2012, 01:42 PM

10 posts, read 13,206 times
If you are not used to winter driving I would not come to Woodland Park. People get a Jeep or AWD and think they can go the speed limit on snow packed roads - NOT! if your tires do not make contact with the road, ice is still ice, the type of vehicle doesn't make much of a difference. Never drive anything up here that doesn't at least have front wheel drive if you can't afford a Jeep. Little trucks are worse than useless. The pass, highway from WP to CS is very winding and the walls of the canyon are about 2 inches from the edge of the road in some places so you can't afford to screw up. You need to go the speed that road conditions allow for you to stop or slow down safely.
Spend some time renting in the area first so you can avoid that move in year 2.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:04 PM

10 posts, read 13,206 times
Carrera32 is right. It's not really a purple state. A big lib with deep pockets pulled some tricks in 2008 and got dems elected but... a book has been written about it called "The Blueprint" decription from Amazon "This is the inside story of one of the most stunning reversals of political fortune in American history. Four years ago, the GOP dominated politics at every level in Colorado. Republicans held both Senate seats, five of seven congressional seats, the governor’s mansion, the offices of secretary of state and treasurer, and both houses of the state legislature. After the 2008 election, the exact opposite was true: replace the word Republicans with Democrats in the previous sentence, and you have of one the most stunning reversals of political fortune in American history."

Old 04-02-2012, 03:19 PM

67 posts, read 120,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling4212 View Post
If you are not used to winter driving I would not come to Woodland Park. People get a Jeep or AWD and think they can go the speed limit on snow packed roads - NOT! if your tires do not make contact with the road, ice is still ice, the type of vehicle doesn't make much of a difference. Never drive anything up here that doesn't at least have front wheel drive if you can't afford a Jeep. Little trucks are worse than useless. The pass, highway from WP to CS is very winding and the walls of the canyon are about 2 inches from the edge of the road in some places so you can't afford to screw up. You need to go the speed that road conditions allow for you to stop or slow down safely.
Spend some time renting in the area first so you can avoid that move in year 2.
I agree in most part of what Sterling said about renting and finding your "Colorado" before you buy. And, definitley, about going the speed that the road conditions allow for.
However, I have to disagree about the driving conditions in WP. I have lived in WP and commuted to the Springs for years..way too many to admit. I drive a small REAR wheel drive sports car. I have NEVER missed a day of work due to the snow or road conditions. I just take my time and always leave myself an "out" of any situation. Winter driving is nothing more than a learned skill that anyone can do in time. Just throw a little bit of weight in the trunk and you'll be just fine. When we moved to CO years ago I was deathly afraid of living in the mountains and the driving. I finally realized that it's just "altitude". A road is a road. Just take your time and you will be ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs