U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 12:05 PM

10 posts, read 13,199 times

Advertisements

I have lived up here for 14 years but I don't commute everyday. I also lived in MN for 20 yrs. I am sort of a scaredy cat about icy roads I admit. Never did get comfortable with it. Dmccright is more reasonable about it. I had an accident on an icy road and, well, that tells the story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 09:36 AM

9,871 posts, read 6,328,413 times
I used to live in Iowa...the winters there are far more treacherous. One thing I gotta give CoS is the road crews are on top of their game. But I always say...I am capable of driving in nasty weather, but that doesn't mean I have to enjoy doing so. My idea of the best place to be in a snowstorm is by the window and the fireplace with hot cocoa in hand. Unfortunately my employers rarely agree... I drive a FWD minivan and usually have no issues but I've learned to put weight in the rear, or she slides pretty bad when trying to stop. And I creep along if I'm scared. These loonies on Powers can go right on around in their magical AWD vehicles and I'll creep right past em when they're in a ditch. Sometimes it's good to be the tortoise!!

Oh, as for politics I still say this area seems to have more libertarians among the populace than anything else...but plenty of all sorts of ideologies. And with the constant flux of military folks coming and going, they come from all over the place and bring their ideas with them... I subscribed to the Gazette (a nice kid sold me on it)...kind of regret that. It's not the conservative bent I dislike, it's that it focuses so heavily on the awful things people are doing to each other. Maybe that's more common than not...but I'd rather read pieces on arts and culture and opinion than about every shooting that took place last week and what lowlife beat their kid today. :P

Old 04-11-2012, 11:36 AM

33 posts, read 187,117 times
For #10 - I agree with zelavie - very crazy driving out here. Gives me gray hairs and makes me want to live in a small town of less than 100,00 people. I think it's my biggest stress out here really. And so many people don't drive or park in the lines!! It's like their brains are in la-la land or something. People don't pay attention to the lines, other cars, or the speed limit. I've had many encounters with people cutting the outer, left turn lane and almost side-swiping my car. I can't wait to move away.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:08 PM

23 posts, read 29,479 times
Drivers here are insane. Add ice to the mix and you've got a recipe for fail. I drove in Los Angeles for many years and wasn't ready for this. Too many different driving styles from all over the country due to most residents being military from all over the place.. too few police/highway patrol actually enforcing the law, so it's anarchy ( everyone blows through red lights ). You cannot predict what people are going to do, really.

Yes they do salt the roads and take good care of keeping the roads pretty safe out here, but you also have to keep the underbody of your car washed otherwise it will rust.

Forget bicycling, there are almost no bike lanes. The few that are around don't connect to each other. Many of the lines on the roads are faded and the pavement looks like it hasn't been maintained in a decade in many parts of the city, so driving isn't all that pleasant either.

The roads are also extremely curvy and unpredictable. You cannot point your car in one direction and end up there.

It's also very sprawled out.
So basically, not fun to get around at all.

That is our main complaint about the area.

If you are pretty liberal, you might have a hard time here; you will definitely be a minority. We are atheist but lean towards libertarian, so it's not too bad for us.

Weather is not all that bad, probably the best of the entire state.. you will get snowed in in the winter, and it gets cold and windy for a few months.. that's the worst of it! It's a dry cold and dry heat, so it's liveable.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:24 PM

704 posts, read 1,444,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling4212 View Post
Carrera32 is right. It's not really a purple state. A big lib with deep pockets pulled some tricks in 2008 and got dems elected but... a book has been written about it called "The Blueprint" decription from Amazon ."
Colorado has always been pretty politically wild. It is a right-leaning state, but rich liberals, a unique mix of liberal and conservative Latinos, an independent streak, very active and powerful social conservative groups and leaders, and, of course, Boulder, make Colorado a very interesting place to live if you're into politics. It probably is more of a red state than a blue state, if you get right down to it, but it is extremely competitive come election season.

Colorado Springs is probably one of the most conservative cities in America. But there are liberals in the area, there is Manitou Springs, and there are Democrats who do get elected to the state legislature. So it isn't a total no-man's land for liberals. El Paso County, along with Mesa, Weld, and Douglas Counties are the lodestars of GOP politics in Colorado. Because those are also some of the fastest growing counties in the state, it will be interesting to see what happens to the state's politics in the future. I think we're already starting to see the diminishing power of the rich liberals you're talking about, and Colorado taking a right turn, but the state is too independent to hang your hat on any one trend.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:58 PM

2 posts, read 2,801 times
Thank you all for your replies! My husband started the thread... Since that time we have visited and believe that Monument looks to be the place for us! While we loved Woodland Park, I don't like the commute, and the incredibly steep driveways make me nervous for winter weather.

We have already had our first 106 degree day, and I can't wait to get out of this oven

Can anyone offer some insight to state income tax? I see that it's 4.63%, and that is a flat rate for every wage earner in the state, correct? Does it effect federal income tax or tax returns? These may be ignorant questions, but neither of us have lived in a state w state income tax.

Also, does anyone have any insight to what we could expect to make as BSN nurses with 1-2 years experience? I realize the market has been tight, any insight would be appreciated!

Also... Anyone with kids in D-38? Is it as great as it sounds?

Old 04-30-2012, 05:14 PM

20,349 posts, read 37,876,690 times
IIRC, the COLO Income Tax uses the FAGI off your 1040, then gives you further deductions for certain COLO items. In our case, being retired, both my wife and I get a $20k exclusion, reducing our COLO taxable amount by a total of $40k, and there are other deductions as well.

Since we have an income tax in COLO, real estate property tax here is way lower than in TX, but all of this tends to balance out.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:40 PM

2 posts, read 2,801 times
We have definitely noticed that property taxes are much lower, meaning we can afford a larger/nicer home... The added square footage is a great draw with our big family!

Sales tax is considerably lower too. We pay 8.25!

So... They would take the 4...% out of each pay check, then if we qualified for deductions we would get a return? Am I understanding correctly? Geez... Im a pretty intelligent person, but this makes me feel like a dunce! Lol
Also, do you know where I could see a list of those deductions?

Thanks so much for your reply!

Old 04-30-2012, 07:59 PM

20,349 posts, read 37,876,690 times
I'm retired and don't know how they do withholding these days, usually you specify a number on your W-2 forms. If they take out more than you end up owing, you'll get a refund.

Total sales tax can run as high at 7.4% here, but IIRC, it's less if you are outside of city limits.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:51 AM

808 posts, read 1,178,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar9918 View Post
7. Is D-20 really the best way to go? What about D-38 or D-49? D-12 looks like its a bit pricey per sq.ft. IDK.

10. If you were forced to choose only ONE thing to tell a person relocating to the area, what is the most important one piece of wisdom you would share?
I think you're generally on the right track with the Monument idea, though I'd suggest finding out where your jobs are going to be located before making any final decisions. If one of you found a job in South Denver and the other found a job in Pueblo, Monument might be the perfect location. If, however, you both found jobs in Colorado Springs, you may not appreciate the daily commute from Monument.

My "one piece of wisdom" would be to rent for at least a year or two before buying. That would give you the flexibilty to make adjustments if it turns out Monument (or any other place) is not the right choice after all. Very hard to know exactly where you want to be and belong for the next 20+ years when you've never actually lived in an area. For example, my wife and I lived in Colorado Springs for 5 years in a west part of town that had no sense of neighborhood whatsoever and we were very lukewarm about living here. After five years, we bought a house in the Southwest part of town (Skyway - D12) and have been amazed by the friendly neighborhood vibe, the perfect political mix where educated "progressive" Christians like us can fit right in, access to parks and nature, and nearly everything else in our immediate area. We would never have known where we best "fit" moving in from out of the area without spending some time here. Oh, by the way, we paid @$67 per sq./ft. for our 1965 rancher four years ago and after a couple dozen smaller DIY projects and one kitchen remodel its in very nice condition, if I do say so myself. Point being, you don't necessarily have to pay top dollar per sq./ft. to buy into a nice neighborhood with good schools, and if you tidy an older place up a bit your neighbors will LOVE you for it.

Last observation, if you wait until you BOTH have EXACTLY the right jobs before moving, there's a good chance it will never happen. Sometimes you just have to take a leap of faith. It's about finding the right balance between the dream and the practical reality. One reasonably secure job would probably get you a safe enough foothold to rent a decent place for awhile, see where the jobs end up being located, and explore different parts of town you may want to buy into when you're ready for that step.

Wish you luck, patience, and grace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs