U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-08-2012, 02:58 PM
 
68 posts, read 105,504 times
Reputation: 69

Advertisements

We too cannot wait to get away from Austin area with these long HOT, HUMID summers and lack of rainfall. My wife and I have lived here all of our life (in our 40s), but cannot wait for a change. We are headed up to COS in two weeks for a week to get a feel for the place and look at some apartments. Scary though that the unemployment rate is 9.2% there. I hope we can both find jobs between the end of this year and late spring 2013. Fortunately, our kids are grown and we don't have to worry about schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-08-2012, 03:41 PM
 
8,317 posts, read 25,134,776 times
Reputation: 9066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas M View Post
We too cannot wait to get away from Austin area with these long HOT, HUMID summers and lack of rainfall.
I find this comment odd. Austin gets an average of 7.8" inches of preciptation in June, July, and August and gets 33.4" for the year, Colorado Springs manages 8.1" in June, July, and August, but only 15.82" for the whole year. By the way, that 8.1" makes Colorado Springs one of the wettest places in Colorado in June, July, and August precipitation--most Colorado places average 6" or less (often much less) in summer. Hot and humid Colorado Springs is not, but it is also semi-arid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2012, 04:31 PM
 
Location: Burlington, Colorado
347 posts, read 690,718 times
Reputation: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPiglets View Post
I can't find acreage for sale near COS (looking for at least 20acres) with nice trees and a creek hopefully. Everything I've seen in CO is barren or has just a few tiny trees.
Thats because it doesn't exist. Perhaps in West Virginia or Tennessee, or maybe the UP of Michigan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2012, 04:58 PM
 
68 posts, read 105,504 times
Reputation: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
I find this comment odd. Austin gets an average of 7.8" inches of preciptation in June, July, and August and gets 33.4" for the year, Colorado Springs manages 8.1" in June, July, and August, but only 15.82" for the whole year. By the way, that 8.1" makes Colorado Springs one of the wettest places in Colorado in June, July, and August precipitation--most Colorado places average 6" or less (often much less) in summer. Hot and humid Colorado Springs is not, but it is also semi-arid.
We have been in a drought last few years and have not had that kind of rain. Last year we had over 90 days of 100+ degree temps and very high humidity. Been here 47 yrs and summers keep getting worse. I'll take my chances there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2012, 09:20 AM
 
8,317 posts, read 25,134,776 times
Reputation: 9066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas M View Post
We have been in a drought last few years and have not had that kind of rain. Last year we had over 90 days of 100+ degree temps and very high humidity. Been here 47 yrs and summers keep getting worse. I'll take my chances there.
So, you're comparing an abnormal drought year in Austin with the normal precipitation of Colorado Springs as a basis of what you would accept for precipitation? Sort of like comparing horses and bowling balls to me . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2012, 07:22 PM
 
Location: Parker, Co
25 posts, read 45,859 times
Reputation: 55
I'm from Texas myself and have been in Colorado about two years. There are a lot of us Texans here in the Colorado Springs area.

The summers are heavenly here. The best advice I was given was to buy either a 4 wheel drive or an all wheel drive vehicle. The first winter, my truck had a hard time making it up some icey hills in the downtown area, so I traded it in for a Jeep.

TexasPiglets, I'm not sure what price range you are looking in, but there are some homes along Fountain Creek, on the southern edge Colorado Springs near Fort Carson that have a creek and trees. However, it seems like the one that I'm thinking of that had actual water frontage was smaller acreage.

I'm not sure how close you need to be to the Colorado Springs. Yesterday, I did some MLS searches for other people wanting acreage with mountain views, trees and a creek. Florrisant, to the west, has a number of 20 plus acre properties with a creek and trees. The northern part of Colorado Springs up to Denver has numerous places with trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2012, 03:16 PM
 
Location: Broomfield, CO
1,445 posts, read 2,711,326 times
Reputation: 904
As a past resident of the Springs and a current resident of Northwest Austin, I fully agree with you regarding the need to relocate. Colorado Springs is a beautiful place with a pretty nice climate as well. There are tons of outdoor activities that can fit just about anyones needs, and beautiful scenery just waiting to be explored west of the city. I spent so much time outdoors when I lived there, it was amazing! Those items that are lacking in the Springs (the big city stuff) can easily be remedied just up the road in Denver (less than an hour).

Austin, on the other hand, is one of the most overrated cities in the nation. Its a mostly brown desert, has a miserable climate for 75% of the year, horrible traffic, and some of the most expensive real estate in the state. Not to mention how boring it is if you happen to have a family and be over 25

Good luck with your Springs research!



Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas M View Post
We too cannot wait to get away from Austin area with these long HOT, HUMID summers and lack of rainfall. My wife and I have lived here all of our life (in our 40s), but cannot wait for a change. We are headed up to COS in two weeks for a week to get a feel for the place and look at some apartments. Scary though that the unemployment rate is 9.2% there. I hope we can both find jobs between the end of this year and late spring 2013. Fortunately, our kids are grown and we don't have to worry about schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2012, 03:35 PM
 
68 posts, read 105,504 times
Reputation: 69
THANK YOU! I'm glad that someone spoke up besides me. I have lots of people that live here tell me the same thing about this area. It seems to get worse every year. The humidity was 85% yesterday morning at 7:15 AM when I got to work! That is crazy!

I have wanted to move to Colorado since I was a little kid and I can't wait too much longer. I was hoping not to spend another summer here after the horrible summer last year, but my wife has some things at work to do before we can move.

Thank you again for your input. I hope things get better for you one way or another.


Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
As a past resident of the Springs and a current resident of Northwest Austin, I fully agree with you regarding the need to relocate. Colorado Springs is a beautiful place with a pretty nice climate as well. There are tons of outdoor activities that can fit just about anyones needs, and beautiful scenery just waiting to be explored west of the city. I spent so much time outdoors when I lived there, it was amazing! Those items that are lacking in the Springs (the big city stuff) can easily be remedied just up the road in Denver (less than an hour).

Austin, on the other hand, is one of the most overrated cities in the nation. Its a mostly brown desert, has a miserable climate for 75% of the year, horrible traffic, and some of the most expensive real estate in the state. Not to mention how boring it is if you happen to have a family and be over 25

Good luck with your Springs research!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2012, 11:45 AM
 
Location: Broomfield, CO
1,445 posts, read 2,711,326 times
Reputation: 904
Yes, i find the climate to be one of the biggest drawbacks of living in Austin...however, there are many many others that the "media buzz" doesn't mention anything about. I'm not turning this into an "Austin bashing" rant (i have done that on the Austin board many times and been repremanded repeatedly). If you want a rant, i'll have to send you a private message. I just think that Colorado Springs is a nice city. Sure, it has some growing pains, but overall a good choice for the outdoor person who loves to have the rocky mountains in their backyard. Here is how I would sum up the pros and cons of the Springs.

PROS

1) Great climate year round. Winters can get cold, but never longer than a day or two. Snowfall can be heavy as well (especially near the mountains), but it rarely stays on the ground more than a few days because of the almost always sunny weather. Summer is great. Never used the a/c ONCE when i lived there in the late 90's. Opening the windows at night is great (mother nature foots the a/c bill)

2) Tons of outdoor activies that can be done year round. Too many to mention here...but trust me TONS!!

3) Beautiful scenery. The stunning views of the mountains west of the Springs are unmatched by nearly every other US city in the country (with the possible exception of Salt Lake)

4) Affordable housing costs, utilities, and transportation. It is certainly more affordable than much of the Denver area.

CONS

1) The Springs does have traffic problems. I-25 has been recently gutted and rebuilt, but it still it quite congested during the rush hours. Because most of the growth in the Springs is east (around Powers Blvd), that part of town tends to get pretty congested.

2) Limited larger city options such as professional sports, fine arts, museums, or light rail. However, all of these things can be had less than an hour away in Denver.

3) Higher crime areas south. Generally speaking, most of the violent crime in the Springs occurs downtown and points south. Obviously there are exceptions, but there certainly is a crime problem southward.

4) Small airport with limited connections and usually higher fares. Although there are some nonstop flights, you are probably far better off driving to DIA overall.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas M View Post
THANK YOU! I'm glad that someone spoke up besides me. I have lots of people that live here tell me the same thing about this area. It seems to get worse every year. The humidity was 85% yesterday morning at 7:15 AM when I got to work! That is crazy!

I have wanted to move to Colorado since I was a little kid and I can't wait too much longer. I was hoping not to spend another summer here after the horrible summer last year, but my wife has some things at work to do before we can move.

Thank you again for your input. I hope things get better for you one way or another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2012, 05:26 PM
 
Location: Colorado
9,846 posts, read 6,309,833 times
Reputation: 17756
1) Great climate year round. Winters can get cold, but never longer than a day or two. Snowfall can be heavy as well (especially near the mountains), but it rarely stays on the ground more than a few days because of the almost always sunny weather. Summer is great. Never used the a/c ONCE when i lived there in the late 90's. Opening the windows at night is great (mother nature foots the a/c bill)

^ I feel like no sooner does it get so hot I turn on my AC or manage it with my windows, than it turns around and blusters up a windy, dusty storm of a cold front and gets too cold. I am not a fan of the crazy wind! But the winters are nowhere near as scary as people think unless you're actually up IN the mountains...there is some freak weather sometimes like this recent hail storm...

3) Beautiful scenery. The stunning views of the mountains west of the Springs are unmatched by nearly every other US city in the country (with the possible exception of Salt Lake)

^Sorry man, I think Washington state can rival CO for breathtaking scenery. However I felt like I was trapped in a bubble, slightly disconnected from the rest of the world, it's rather remote and surreal up there. Plus...the rain... But when the sun does shine, it's like watching a miracle just looking out your window.

4) Affordable housing costs, utilities, and transportation. It is certainly more affordable than much of the Denver area.

^More affordable than most big cities, less affordable than some Midwest ones (where there is absolutely nothing to see or do) such as Des Moines IA.

1) The Springs does have traffic problems. I-25 has been recently gutted and rebuilt, but it still it quite congested during the rush hours. Because most of the growth in the Springs is east (around Powers Blvd), that part of town tends to get pretty congested.

^I disagree with the severity of the traffic problems. I commute up Powers from Widefield to Palmer Park Rd and into downtown from there each day, and what the stop lights take away from Powers the speed limit makes up for, however the combination of the two equals danger. Thankfully, they are working on that. Traffic is worse in the four other states I've lived in however, including Iowa but especially Northern VA and WA.

3) Higher crime areas south. Generally speaking, most of the violent crime in the Springs occurs downtown and points south. Obviously there are exceptions, but there certainly is a crime problem southward.

^To any visitors please understand that the "crime problem" in CoS is not as scary as in many major cities, I don't think this city has the kind of ghetto that DC or even Cincinnati has, and "points south" is a bit vague. There are pockets of bad area, sometimes right next to good ones. I only feel the need to speak on this, because when there was a domestic murder/suicide in my neighborhood (Colorado Centre) some commentors on the news piece said "what do you expect from the south side" like it was some kind of gang, or thugs, or lowlife drug related whatever thing...fact is, it was a freak domestic issue with some young, stupid couple and it could have happened anywhere. Very isolated incident. Our neighborhood has practically no crime at all, and we're not even really "south side"...we're too FAR south to be that. But people from different sides of town here tend to judge one another, a bit unfairly to my opinion. Just saying.

4) Small airport with limited connections and usually higher fares. Although there are some nonstop flights, you are probably far better off driving to DIA overall. <--Completely true, but I do hear they're adding some Frontier non-stops to DC at some point, which would be good news for me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top